Can a derangment of the TM disc cause pain on opposite side?
After a panolypse X-ray last week, I found out I have a derangment of the temporal-mandibular disc, on my right side. The left side appeared to be normal. But I have noticed I do get pain of the left side of my jaw sometimes. Is this referred pain? Maybe because I am over-using the left side? That's my thinking anyway. Have to have a molar pulled first, then a splint made for me. Dentist said I may have to wear it forever, if the disc will not go back or stay in place. Anyone here with any experience with this disc? I didn't even know there was a disc there!  I also have DDD, and degen osteo-arthritis. Is this the likely cause of my problem?   Thanks for reading this, any help appreciated.
First, an x-ray will not show the disc.. it can show the hard tissue, bone namely, and if there is change in the shape of the bone, then one can deduct that there is issues there.
TO answer your other question, whether one can have pain in the other side, in one word absolutely, and it is not referred pain, all this means is that side is probably in an earlier state of disease. The cause of this more than likely is your bite or the way your teeth come together. Appliance therapy can be very successfull in most cases , it however, greatly depends on the skill of the dentist and their level of familiarity with these issues.
All the best.
you need to get a MRI of your joint to really see what is going on.  X-rays will not show all the detail.
I have lots of arthritis elsewhere in my body, so am quite sure that it is a joint problem. Before I can have a splint made, I had to have a back top molar pulled, which is now done. But just the last couple of days, the TMD pain is coming back. I've been under stress all week, and I know that makes it worse. Just as a by-the-way, do you know if a MRI of the jaw costs as much as say a MRI of the neck? Just curious.  Thanks.
I'm not sure about the comparison with the costs.  The MRI of the jaw is very thorough.  they take pictures with a device in your mouth.  Or, they used to anyway.  that has been about 16 years ago for me.  they took pictures with the mouth in a closed position and in an open position to see who the disc was functioning.
***to see how the disc was functioning***