Temporomandibular Joint & Muscle Community
Can cervical herniated disc be cause of TMJ?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to temporomandibular joint issues including headaches and managing pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Can cervical herniated disc be cause of TMJ?

Hi, I've had right lower jaw pain for about 2 mos. now that's getting worse.  When I look in the mirror and open my jaw wide, my jaw seems to be jutting to the left when I close the jaw, it also makes a popping noise sometimes.  What I've read online leads me to believe I need to see a doctor for probable TMJ, which I will do right after Christmas.  Last year, I began treating neck and shoulder pain from cervical disc degeneration and herniation between C5 and C6 with physical therapy and a portable at-home traction machine.  This year, I started having lower back pain which an MRI recently showed bone spurs and arthritis.  All of these problems started three years ago after a car accident, plus I own and operate a commercial flower planting business which I think aggravated my neck after the accident.  My two questions:  Could a a herniated cervical disc cause my jaw to be crooked?  Could a herniated cervical disc cause lower back problems?  I'm only 37 years old and I feel like I'm falling apart!  Thank you for your input!  Amy