Temporomandibular Joint & Muscle Community
Dizzy and ear pain.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to temporomandibular joint issues including headaches and managing pain.

Dizzy and ear pain.

I am concerned. I have ear pain, and dizziness with some jaw pain and some tingling in my arm and fingers.. This is Making my head feel like it's swimming. I have been to see my Dr. and he has put me on Methylprednisolone tablets.  A six day dose. When I first started them the dizziness seem to go away. The pain in my left ear is better than my right one. I feel great when I wake up. I go to the gym and everything is fine but as the morning goes on I begin to get symptoms. I am  4 days into the steroid and my symstoms are begining to return. The dizzines is back and the tingling seem to be coming back too. Is this signs of TMJ or something else. I call a physical theropist, he doesn't understand why i don't have headaches. I don't have them yet. I do have a call into my Dr. to see if i should wait it out or go see an ENT. This has me a bit worried. My Dr. feel like I have a lot of imflammation. He gave me a refrill on the steroid. Maybe it will take another round of them. Please help with some advise
Hello! I'm an RN and also suffer from TMJ problems..
Sounds like TMJ to me, but not to scare you, but if you ever have tingling down an arm with diziness, I would make sure its not a heart issue, so please make sure they've looked into that, ok sweetie?

Your symptoms minus the tingling was exactly how my problem started. I felt like I was underwater and I vomitted all the time, everyone thought I was pregnant at work, and I'd have to leave suddenly. I felt tired all the time, no pain in my jaw until later though.

The prednisone can help eliminate some fo the swelling in the ear, as its the swelling that gives you that ear fullness, which is why its making you dizzy as the ear is what keeps you balanced. If there is a lot of swelling, it pushes the jaw bone off ever so slightly and can push on the other side, as the jaw is all connected, so commonly effects both sides to some degree.

I say this in all of my posts, but your treatment will be based on why you have your TMJ: is it because you grind your teeth? have you been in an accident/had trauma to your jaw? if those aren't the problem, its usually stress.

The easiest things to help TMJ are the hardest to change.
Diet, exercise, sleep, decrease stress. and having a solid routine of it.

You mentioned a good clue-- you feel good when you wake up, so you're just like me!! MOST other TMJ sufferer actually feel WORSE in the morning because they're grinding their teeth all night long and have poor sleep. I'm not a doctor, but to me that sounds like a big arrow pointing towards stress.

really take a look at your life right now and see what's on your plate. You may not realize that something is affecting your body, even if you can cope with the stress in your mind.-- that's how I was. I ended up being off work for a year feeling no better, and having to leave the hospital for homecare-- what an amazing choice I made!! I feel so much better, not 100% but close to normal again, and can live my life.

if your sleep, diet, exercise levels are off, you cannot cope with the stress in your life the best way, and its taken out on your body.

Headaches for me are now a sign that my stress levels are rising and i have to take a time out and change something. Pain is ALWAYS a guide to tell us something is wrong. so we gotta find it and fix it, and in this case, its your habits!!

message me if you wanna chat about it. :) I'm living proof it can get better and i never thought i'd ever say that!
Besides a TMJ specialist also see an ENT doctor mainly because you do not have headaches. You might be suffering from Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV). If you do not have any heart problems as was stated by dana007 then your tingling may be from a tightening of the sternocleidomuscle on the nerve that leads to the arm. Good luck and may you have good healing.