Temporomandibular Joint & Muscle Community
Excruciating Pain, TMJ

This patient support community is for discussions relating to temporomandibular joint issues including headaches and managing pain.

Excruciating Pain, TMJ

I have experienced TMJ for about 10 years now. I do have a nightguard, but it definitely is worn down/ground down, and I intend replacing it soon (400 buckies lol). I have also had anxiety about various things , work, self esteem, etc, and I am not certain if my worries are related to me clenching more often..sometimes I can even clench at night when I've had a peaceful good day. The other night, I started to get a PIERCING pain from both sides of my jaw, and it started to radiate down into my back. I took advil, however the pain did not respond. My back became excruciating, at one point I almost couldn't breathe, and I was lying on the floor, unable to move /get up.. I debated the ER it was so bad, but waited a little more. After hours of this I became nauseous too, and I threw up as well. I have never thrown up in my life due to debilitating pain- has anyone ever experienced pain such as this with TMJ? What did you do for it? I saw my doctor today, but b/c I wasn't now "IN' the pain I had been in that night (when offices were closed) they did not prescribe a strong med for me. However my doc did say I could have very well benefited from a med that was stronger than advil at that point, like oxycodone. It was the Worst pain I've had in so long, it was utterly agonizing, and I thought I was almost going to die. I've never had jaw pain THIS bad, radiate THIS much down into my back. Generally it can, every other month, but goes away with an hour. Can anyone offer any tips for TMJ pain, or what you do , take, or experience with it? Any tips GREATLY appreciated. Thank You.