Temporomandibular Joint & Muscle Community
Fractured jaw? Also pain in the neck

This patient support community is for discussions relating to temporomandibular joint issues including headaches and managing pain.

Fractured jaw? Also pain in the neck

Okay so i recently got jumped (attacked) from behind, and was punched in the jaw and its causing me a lot of pain, im just wondering if anyone knows any symptoms to tell if its a fracture or if it will ease itself..
-every morning my jaw clicks when i open my mouth cause its been shut for so long (never had to do this before)
-every time i eat i get a sharp, grating like feel in the top of my jaw bone (by the ear left side only)

Also in my neck ive got a tender pain when ever its touched ever since, plus this is also on the left hand side

Any idea whats up?
It's definately possible you got a fractured jaw. The popping can just be caused by trauma to the jaw. That doesn't go away. The pain on the other hand can be bad. If you haven't seen one you might want to consider seeing a doctor. Particularly the pain in the neck is kind of worrisome.

My niece got her jaw broken in 2 places a couple years ago. Although they talked about possibly wiring it shut- they decided to let it try and fix itself. (Partly because of her age and partly because of where it was.) She was on a liquid diet for 3 weeks and a soft SOFT food diet for an additional 2 months. She was also given pain killers which she stopped taking after a week because they made her feel "too funny and loopy". The pain stopped after about a month, so until then she would take Tylenol that was mashed and put into juice. (She couldn't swallow pills.) Its been almost 3 years and her jaw still "pops".

I still think you really should see a doctor, just to make sure no other damage was caused.  
Hello I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I was also assulted by a stranger and had my jaw broken in 5 places its not an easy road u are on my attack happened over 10 years ago iim still getting the run around from dr.s and dentists good luck hope you don't have half the sypmtoms I do
Please go to a doctor (oral maxilliofacial surgeon). The longer you wait the less they can do. It sounds like you have some jaw joint damage. If it gets fixed promptly - may not cause you any problems. If you wait - you may have to deal with it for the rest of your life. This is because scar tissue sets in and fixes the joint into an improper position.

You may only need a little physiotherapy to coax that joint back into place.