Temporomandibular Joint & Muscle Community
Jaw exercises following mandibular fracture?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to temporomandibular joint issues including headaches and managing pain.

3 weeks ago I fell on my face and fractured my jaw in two places: a mandibular body fracture on the right side, and a subcondylar fracture of the mandible on the left side. As a result my lower jaw deviated to the left and I was unable to close my mouth. I also lost several teeth and others were broken, both upper and lower on both sides. My left cheekbone still tingles, and I can still feel the lymph node just in front of my left ear and it is sensitive to touch.

I underwent surgery in which open reduction with internal fixation by the vestibular approach was performed on the fracture on the right side. On the left side open fixation was not performed, but closed reduction by means of intermandibular (or maxillomandibular) fixation was performed on both sides in which braces and rubber bands were placed on my teeth to keep my mouth closed without deviation of the jaw. After 10 days only guiding bands were left, and I was referred to physical therapy for exercises for removing the leftward deviation of my lower jaw. My appointment is only next week and I would like to start the exercises. In the meantime I can open and close my mouth straight, but the jaw still often deviates to the left when I sneeze, for example. My left TMJ still hurts when I yawn or open my mouth wide.

I have looked for exercises on the Internet but still have not found any. Can anyone refer me to suitable exercises for removing the leftward deviation of my lower jaw?

Thank you very much!