Temporomandibular Joint & Muscle Community
Jaw pain, hurts when chewing, pops when open too far

This patient support community is for discussions relating to temporomandibular joint issues including headaches and managing pain.

Hi there. For the past year or 2, I occasionally have been getting jaw pain on the left side of my jaw. Some days I could only open it a little bit and it would lock and not open any further. Other times, it would let me open wide but would sort of pop and be painful (eg when yawning).
The oral and maxillofacial surgeon looked at it when he was assessing my wisdom teeth before my surgery, and said it would only have a problem if it was really painful and happened more often.

It is now 2 weeks after my wisdom teeth surgery, and now this is happening on the right side of my jaw, and it is happening every time I open my mouth. When I yawn or open my mouth, the jaw clicks and pops, and there is pain. When I'm chewing the pain is unbearable, and I can also feel it as though it's my ear. however if I press in just below and in front of my right ear while I'm chewing, the pain is not there. But once I stop pressing in hard, it comes back again.

Is this something I should go back to the surgeon about, or is there nothing able to be done about it? I'm just concerned that it is now non stop and on the opposite side of the jaw. I don't want to pay all that money though and have him tell me it's just the same as before.

Seeinga tmj specialist is advised.