Temporomandibular Joint & Muscle Community
Jaw pain and night-time tongue thrusting

This patient support community is for discussions relating to temporomandibular joint issues including headaches and managing pain.

I was born "tongue-tied" but did not have a frenectomy. At age 15, my lingual frenulum tore during a hasty tooth-brushing session. I had a quick recovery, no speech problems, and was thrilled to have full range of motion and be able to stick my tongue all the way out at the tip.

The only negative effect was that my tongue was unused to holding itself down in position during sleep, and so began pushing out against the back of my teeth. Sometimes I even wake with tooth-shaped indentations around the perimeter of my tongue. For the past 20 years, this has not been a major problem, but in the past 6 months, I've experienced increasing jaw pain and tension during sleep. I've tried a night guard, and I've tried different stretches and neck exercises, but I am unable to find a neutral resting position for my tongue and jaw that I can maintain while sleeping.

Are there any exercises recommended? Any therapists that specialize in this odd problem?
Thanks for any advice.
Hi,  Your short history leaves me with a lot of questions, but your situation is more common than you may think.  I would like a lot more info before making any suggestions.  If you'd like you may send me a private message with more details.  TMJDoc