Temporomandibular Joint & Muscle Community
Neck and jaw pain - no apparent cause

This patient support community is for discussions relating to temporomandibular joint issues including headaches and managing pain.

Neck and jaw pain - no apparent cause

I have been getting random episodes where I wake up in the morning fine and then, as the day progresses, I begin to get pain in my frontal neck and jaw.  I describe the neck pain as a dull ache in the front neck, on both sides. The jaw feels like a dull throb, similar to a mild toothache or throbbing sensation you get if you get punched in the jaw.  Neck muscles are tight at the clavicle and up towards the back of the jaw.

It lasts for a few days and then slowly goes away.  I haven't managed to spot a true cause.  Sometimes I felt it might have been brought on by alcohol, as it would come on the day after I drank.  I was worried about lymphoma but all the stories about alcohol causing lymph node pain seem to involve the pain occuring as soon as you drink.  Mine is the opposite.  If I do have the pain, alcohol numbs it.  Pain generally starts the day after, but not immediately, as the day progresses.

Other times I drink and there is no pain at all the day after, so I can't honestly say its alcohol.

I can go weeks without any pain and then all of a sudden it will happen.

Painkillers sometimes help, but sometimes are of no help whatsoever.

And the pain is associated with extreme tiredness.  To put you in the picture, I'm an active cyclist.  I cycle to and from work and cycle during the weekends also.  When the pain comes, I have zero energy, could sleep all day and the last thing I want to do is cycle.

I'd be keen to know if anyone else experiences this kind of thing and if they know what it is.

Wow sounds like what I get. I'm just Sussing out what thd net has and if I find any useful info ill post it on here :))