Temporomandibular Joint & Muscle Community
One side of jaw won't open
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to temporomandibular joint issues including headaches and managing pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

One side of jaw won't open

Last Wednesday, I got dental work on a bottom tooth. I don't know what number, but it is towards the back. Well that tooth had a crown which was starting to chip away, so my dentist wanted to make a new one. He had to numb me, so he can take the chipped one off and start working on a tempoorary. Okay, he stuck the novocaine needle in a muscle...and it was located by the molar. It did hurt to the point where I was whimpering, but it wasn't extreme pain. I was sort of wondering why he couldn't put the needle to where he was doing the work. I went really numb after five mins and he started the work.

The next day, I noticed I couldn't open my mouth all the way. The one side really hurt and it felt as if the jaw muscle was bruised. I decided not to force it open and let it pass. I am still able to talk, brush my teeth (I do have a little trouble with the back molar), and I can eat. Only I can't chew anything hard, so I am eating soft foods. When I yawn my mouth opens to a certain extent. It's not a lot either...only enough where I can still do my daily things.

What is wrong with my jaw? I had this problem after my wisdom teeth were removed, but that was the whole jaw...this is only the right side. I was thinking trismus...it's just really annoying and I would love to eat hard things again.
Tags: jaw, muscles