Temporomandibular Joint & Muscle Community
One side of jaw won't open

This patient support community is for discussions relating to temporomandibular joint issues including headaches and managing pain.

One side of jaw won't open

Last Wednesday, I got dental work on a bottom tooth. I don't know what number, but it is towards the back. Well that tooth had a crown which was starting to chip away, so my dentist wanted to make a new one. He had to numb me, so he can take the chipped one off and start working on a tempoorary. Okay, he stuck the novocaine needle in a muscle...and it was located by the molar. It did hurt to the point where I was whimpering, but it wasn't extreme pain. I was sort of wondering why he couldn't put the needle to where he was doing the work. I went really numb after five mins and he started the work.

The next day, I noticed I couldn't open my mouth all the way. The one side really hurt and it felt as if the jaw muscle was bruised. I decided not to force it open and let it pass. I am still able to talk, brush my teeth (I do have a little trouble with the back molar), and I can eat. Only I can't chew anything hard, so I am eating soft foods. When I yawn my mouth opens to a certain extent. It's not a lot either...only enough where I can still do my daily things.

What is wrong with my jaw? I had this problem after my wisdom teeth were removed, but that was the whole jaw...this is only the right side. I was thinking trismus...it's just really annoying and I would love to eat hard things again.
Tags: jaw, muscles
The dental work likely caused issues with the Temporomandibular Joint & Muscle area.  This may be a temporary issue, it may cause long-term issues.

With that much pain, it is likely inflamed.  For now,  you should probably ice the side of your face a few times a day, and perhaps take an anti-inflammatory med such as Ibuprofen or aspirin. The soft food is a good idea.

Check in w/ your dentist and doctor if it doesn't settle down w/in a few weeks.

I am NOT a medical professional, just been dealing w/ tmj issues for 30 years.

My jaw can open all the way now. :) Thank you for the advice. I will keep it in mind if this happens again.