Temporomandibular Joint & Muscle Community
Osteomyelitis Gum/Jaw
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to temporomandibular joint issues including headaches and managing pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Osteomyelitis Gum/Jaw

After female surgery on 4/14/2008, I noticed some small cuts in my mouth from the intubation when I awoke, but didn't think too much about it.

The following week, my jaw started hurting and by 4/25 all the lymph nodes on the right side were swollen and the pain unbearable.  I went to an emergency dentist who noticed one of the larger cuts and determined that this was most likely the cause of the pain.  He gave me a 10 day prescription for penicillin.

By Monday, still in pain, I went to another dentist who noticed on xray that an old root canal was infected and referred me to an endodontist for treatment.  After going to the endodontist, I was told to go back to the dentist to have the tooth filled.

The pain continued and by the following Monday 5/5/2008 I was unable to get treatment because my mouth was still too swollen.  The pain continued all week and by Saturday, I took 3 hydrocodone to try to get some relief from the pain.

Tuesday,  May 13th, I went back to the dentist who said that the problem was beyond his scope.  Then, I went to the endodontist who put me on Augmentin.  The dentist and the endodontist conferred and sent me to the periodontist.  The periodontist (5/14/2008) basically said there was nothing that could be done except to wait for months for the infection to heal.

I talked to the original dentist again on Friday who basically agreed that I should try to avoid narcotic medication and take as much Advil as needed until the 6-8 months that it will take my mouth to heal.

So that's it?!!!  I just sit here for months and months and hope it heals?  How do I know it's not getting worse?  I have this enormous hole on my gums with these little shard things poking out.    Can't they pack it with something?  Won't it constantly be open to infection?

I tried searching the net and can't find anything similar to my condition.  I wanted to know if anything would help.  Should I eat more calcium?  Stand on my head and sing in a foreign tongue?  WHAT?!!!  What is going to make this go away?
Oral ulcer generally heals up in 2 weeks. If there is an active infection involved, investigating the source of infection is essential. Once the source of infection is identified, appropriate treatment is administered. Seeing an oral surgeon is advised.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Temporomandibular Joint & Muscle Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...