Temporomandibular Joint & Muscle Community
Osteomyelitis Gum/Jaw

This patient support community is for discussions relating to temporomandibular joint issues including headaches and managing pain.

Osteomyelitis Gum/Jaw

After female surgery on 4/14/2008, I noticed some small cuts in my mouth from the intubation when I awoke, but didn't think too much about it.

The following week, my jaw started hurting and by 4/25 all the lymph nodes on the right side were swollen and the pain unbearable.  I went to an emergency dentist who noticed one of the larger cuts and determined that this was most likely the cause of the pain.  He gave me a 10 day prescription for penicillin.

By Monday, still in pain, I went to another dentist who noticed on xray that an old root canal was infected and referred me to an endodontist for treatment.  After going to the endodontist, I was told to go back to the dentist to have the tooth filled.

The pain continued and by the following Monday 5/5/2008 I was unable to get treatment because my mouth was still too swollen.  The pain continued all week and by Saturday, I took 3 hydrocodone to try to get some relief from the pain.

Tuesday,  May 13th, I went back to the dentist who said that the problem was beyond his scope.  Then, I went to the endodontist who put me on Augmentin.  The dentist and the endodontist conferred and sent me to the periodontist.  The periodontist (5/14/2008) basically said there was nothing that could be done except to wait for months for the infection to heal.

I talked to the original dentist again on Friday who basically agreed that I should try to avoid narcotic medication and take as much Advil as needed until the 6-8 months that it will take my mouth to heal.

So that's it?!!!  I just sit here for months and months and hope it heals?  How do I know it's not getting worse?  I have this enormous hole on my gums with these little shard things poking out.    Can't they pack it with something?  Won't it constantly be open to infection?

I tried searching the net and can't find anything similar to my condition.  I wanted to know if anything would help.  Should I eat more calcium?  Stand on my head and sing in a foreign tongue?  WHAT?!!!  What is going to make this go away?
Oral ulcer generally heals up in 2 weeks. If there is an active infection involved, investigating the source of infection is essential. Once the source of infection is identified, appropriate treatment is administered. Seeing an oral surgeon is advised.