Temporomandibular Joint & Muscle Community
Overbite

This patient support community is for discussions relating to temporomandibular joint issues including headaches and managing pain.

Overbite

I am 50 years of ages and wore braces 18 years ago for 18 months , suddenly now I have developed a overbite I know I never had before. I got my retainers checked out by the orthodontist and he said they are still good and not to worry at my age about my teeth. I than got a second option and was told about the overbite (don't know what degree) which now I can't live with - the orthodontist suggested braces all over again and surgery.  What I need to know is "how come with having braces and  wearing my retainers after all these years I now need surgery" - plus overbites do not run in my family.....also I had my molars taken out when I was young - don't know how many but I did not expect this.

Any ideas?  feeling very upset..

Thank you
I just currently started having same complications- had  root canal gone bad but Dentist didnt cap it  my perio kept telling me and during my last visit the new perio told me i have an slite overbite He also mentioned i needed a cap on RC  found a new dentist who told me RC had to be extracted and to tell him in 5 secs and i asked what would he put there -make a long story short went to Oral Surgeon next AM and he asked if i wanted this tooth pulled I dont know why it just couldnt be simple Molar was extracted - got dry socket for 6 days since i wasnt comfortable i know have an appt with oral maxillofacial surgeon
hope he can help me- for years ive gone to dentist at least 2x a yr and the periodontist 2x a year  i have had various gum surgeries over the past 10 yrs and i changed my amalgam to white (one was the root canal) i know some say this is NG but aesthically it was much nicer to look at than the silver.  i also have been suffering excruciating TMP it has become somewhat unbearable.