Temporomandibular Joint & Muscle Community
Question

This patient support community is for discussions relating to temporomandibular joint issues including headaches and managing pain.

Question

My son (2yr) was eating saturday and suddenly started screaming, crying and holding the right side of his jaw. We ended up taking him to the ER because his behavior was so out of the ordinary. The physician found NO ear infection, and said he may have popped his jaw and that it would heal in a day or two. Today is Tuesday and it has gotten worse today. Now it seems to hurt randomly and of course while eating... He's hungry, but because of the pain, really hasn't ate much lately :( Took him into the dentist, who over the phone thought he may have had a infected tooth, NO ANYTHING, teeth are perfect, no cavity, no infection, nothing. Just gave him some cranberry to see what happened, it hurt worse and for longer, even though the dentist told me that he had never seen a young child with jaw problems (other than from trauma), I think the sour response in the back of the jaw showed the pain is somewhere back in or near the joint. I don't know what to do or who to go see, but at this rate my son isn't going to eat and I hate seeing him in pain... Any advise would be much appreciated! Thank you so much! ~KS
I'm sorry I only saw this today!  How awful for your son to experience such pain at such a tender age.  I hope you already found out that a dentist specializing in TMJ or an oral and maxillofacial specialist who specializes in TMJ is who he needed to see for this painful problem.  I had my jaw pop very painfully as an adult while eating a bagel and I think it was then that my left disc got displaced in my left jaw joint.  

Does your son have a mouth opening less than his normal ability to open?  Using favorites that are soft foods- if necessary no-chew foods (a food processor might come in handy)- and the tiniest spoon you can find might help entice him to eat- definitely don't want the poor tyke to become malnourished!

Please let me know what you learn?  If it's been more than a week before you have some news, if you'd make the update by private message, I'd appreciate it.  I hope he already has experienced relief!