Temporomandibular Joint & Muscle Community
Salivary gland stone

This patient support community is for discussions relating to temporomandibular joint issues including headaches and managing pain.

Salivary gland stone

I have this stone underneath my tongue. Feels to be about 4mm by 3mm. I've gone to the hospital already and the doctor said she'd get me an appointment with a specialist. She gave me some antibiotics too. Problem is this thing really hurts and ther's this huge white ball inside my tongue where the stone is. Antibiotics don't seem to be doing much. The underneath of my tongue has swolen considerably since I saw the doctor. I can hardly eat anymore because of the pain of saliva that can't get out. I need to get this thing out NOW! Is there any way I could convince the doctor at the emergency room to just cut it out on the spot? If not I'm gonna do it myself. Will there be any complications if I cut trough the part where saliva flows? I've boiled a knife and have some sore throat spray for a bit of anesthetic. How deep does the cut need to be? How long should I make the cut? Should I cut lengthwise, or up and down? How should I treat the hole it's gonna leave? How much will this bleed? At what point should I call the ambulance if this procedure goes bad?
wow, who do  we have here Rambo, and his knife?
Get yourself to an oral surgeon and have him/or her take it out..do not try this yourself as you can damage the salivary duct permanently and then marry this problem for life.. see an oral surgeon..
My knife doesn't look like Rambo's :) Kinda funny you bring up a Stallone character, I sounded like Rocky trying to get the doctor at the emergency room to cut me :)

Fear I'll damage the duct is what's kept me from doing it myself so far. The skin around where the stone is is sorta peeling off on it's own. Feels like this thing is gonna pop any time. I figure cutting it myself would lessen the damage. Just a few hour ago blood started coming out with the pus. I'm guessing at best it'll be a week or 2 till I can see a specialist. Is there any way to bring down the swealing? It's really bad.
why so long? .. never mind, rhetorical question.. see your general dentist and have him put his ultrasonic scaler near or on top of the stone, not with the tip but the shank.. and sonic vibrate the heck out of it .. a lot of times I break them down to smaller pieces like this and get them to move thru and open the duct..
Hope this helps
Well I'm guessing on the wait time. I went to the ER on thursday and the doc said the hospital would call me with an appointment date to see a specialist, havn't heard from them yet. I'm in Canada... the health care is free, not fast ;) I'll see my dentist as soon as I can.

In the mean time should I be worried about this swealing? I can see it on the outside of my face now, and my eye and ear are starting to hurt.
I would say that is very swollen.. see your dentist soon and have him atleast drain it for you, but sometimes the pressure can work for you, like when you are vibrting it with the ultrasonic.. it could push everything out..
Make sure it would not get infected..
wish you best of luck.
Hey smot, hope your problem resolved. Next time just create a suction in your mouth and suck sour lemon drops, this always has worked for me in the past. If you are actively poking smot, the cotton mouth will contribute to this problem, also avoid dairy products, drink tons of water! much luck
Well the stone is still there, but the infection swealing and pain are gone so it doesn't really bother me now. I went to the ER a second time and they upped my antibiotics and gave me an anti inflamatory and some pain meds. The stone broke up into 2 parts but I still can't get it out. I'm still waiting on the call back from the hospital for an appointment with a specialist. Healthcare is free here, not fast :)

Hi Dr!  I read your response about breaking up a stone with the scaler and wondered if my battery powered toothbrush (back side) might work the same way?

I discovered (by accident with NO symptoms) a bb sized stone last week under my tongue just hours before a dental appt.  My dentist said Biotene, lemon drops, keep an eye on it........  

She said it might go away or stay the same (I'm 63) but if it began to hurt or enlarge to see her again.  
Update I finally got it operated on about 2 months ago. Surgeon cut it out and sewed the duct open. Feels awesome being able to eat without the duct blocking.

I think it was the docs first time. He kept saying "wow look at that" to his assistant and taking pics. From all the infections the stone was healed into the skin, doc had to cut a lot.

To you Dianne if it's just bb sized you can probably push it out yourself, helps if you push on the salivary gland under your jaw. I got one out about 10 years ago that size before this big pea sized one.

If it doesn't bother you, might be best to just leave it alone too.... I'm not a doctor :)
I had stones and they had to remove mysalive gland it caused so much damage so if u get stone get to a doctor asap