Temporomandibular Joint & Muscle Community
Sports Injury to the Jaw, Neck Swelling & Bruising

This patient support community is for discussions relating to temporomandibular joint issues including headaches and managing pain.

While snow skiing, I had a pretty bad accident in which I kneed myself extremely hard in the jaw.  When the impact happened, I thought for sure I would have broke my jaw due to the force of the hit but as I laid there, all my teeth were still in and I was able to open and shut my mouth and move my jaw side to side and back and forth.  By the time I got up and made it down the hill, I definitely started to see swelling from the impact.  This swelling, on the right side of my jaw, got to be about the size of half a baseball.  I could still talk and eat ok so I was thinking I was in the clear and just needed to let it heal.  The next day a good portion of my neck had become swollen and bruised.  It's been a couple of days now and the baseball swelling has gone down some but my neck is still pretty swollen, though better than it was.  Everything is still pretty sore but I am still able to move my jaw ok.  However, the bruising has started to move down my chest.  It's almost as if there was some internal bleeding as a result of the accident which set in my neck to cause it to swell and now some of that excess blood has just started to move down into the chest area.  Is this normal.  Should I be concerned?  Does anyone know what the issue might be?  Thanks!
I would go to the doctor. When I had my jaw surgeries the bruising would travel downwards into my neck and upper chest. A lovely green color.