Temporomandibular Joint & Muscle Community
Stroke..Problem real vs stubborn

This patient support community is for discussions relating to temporomandibular joint issues including headaches and managing pain.

Stroke..Problem real vs stubborn

I am POA for my Aunt and in charge of her health care.  She had a stroke in the last of June and has all of her physical abilities but it having mental issues.  Some of the issues are truly legitimate the others I and her son believe are intentional by her.  She is diabetic and is refusing to eat the foods she needs. She eats all the "sugar" parts of the meal but only 1 or no parts of the "good for her" vegetables or proteins.  We have been coddling her and giving her alot of attention about "eating" and the aides are doing the same.  This week her son took her food into her room where he could get after about not eating, so as not to disrupt the whole dining room.  It was a major struggle and she stood up and started undressing so he would leave. (She did that one other time when he was trying to help her with teeth)    We are inclined to back way off, for 3 or 4 days, not go see her and not have the aides prompt her to eat.  I am thinking this ALL about her control and her terms and the more we push the more she is NOT going to do her part.  She has always been a picky eater and this last 5 years of diabetes has been quite taxing on us all.  She is in her middle/late 70's.    I'm thinking that, just like a kid, if she gets hungry enough she will eat what is put in front of her.       Is this appropriate thinking?