Temporomandibular Joint & Muscle Community
Swollen jaw 2 years after surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to temporomandibular joint issues including headaches and managing pain.

Swollen jaw 2 years after surgery

Hello, two years ago I broke my Ramus bone in my jaw. I went to an oral and facial surgeon and we decided to remove the bone and replace it with a titanium plate. I don't know ye name of it but basically it goes from my TMJ to The edge of my jaw. Here I am two years later, and that side of my face is still noticeably swollen causing my face to look lopsided. Also, any time I yawn or eat I hear this loud cracking sound followed by a stabbing pain. I also get this pain if I apply any kind of pressure to it. The entire area is still numb atleast on my epidermis. I've consulted with my surgeon about this problem he said that he has never seen this before. He thinks maybe I could be allergic to the metal. I don't think that is it though. Do you know What could be causing this? And if so do you have any advise as to how I could go about fixing it?