Temporomandibular Joint & Muscle Community
TMD/ Jaw muscle spasms

This patient support community is for discussions relating to temporomandibular joint issues including headaches and managing pain.

TMD/ Jaw muscle spasms

I have had TMD problems for years now. I have had an arthrocentesis, and an arthroscopic procedure for a displaced disc. I had the arthrocentesis a few years ago and I was fine for a while. But then I had my wisdom teeth taken out and it seemed to go right back to the way it was before the arthrocentesis. I had an MRI done and it showed the disk on the right side was displaced. With the displaced disc my jaw was shifted to the left side. When it started to shift to the left side I had a few x-rays and CT scans done. In the x-rays and CT scans it looked like I was dislocating. So over several weeks it kept deviating to the left side. I was put under IV sedation like 5 to 6 times to put it back. After so many times they redid the x-rays and CT scans and decided that it was partially dislocating. So instead of putting it back they left it out and put me on muscle relaxers, anti anflamitoies, and pain medication. At this point I was seeing two oral surgeons in Boston, Massachusetts at Mass General Hospital, they were talking back and forth and were thinking about doing Botox or trying the arthroscopic surgery. They decided that is was best to go with the surgery. I had the surgery in July of this year, it seemed to do ok for about two weeks or so. But after that is started to deviate to the left side. More x-rays and CT scans were done to see if it was doing the same thing, and it was. So once again they left it deviated to the left side which was very painful, but once again they had me on muscle relaxers, anti antianflamitories, and pain meds. They are now going to try the Botox on December 7th. I have been trying to find information on Botox for muscle spasms and have not found much on it. But the few things I have found on it most are horror stories, and it has not worked and has had great side effects. Has anyone herd of Botox being used for TMJ muscle spasms? They have also talked about some other surgeries they could try, like cutting the muscle in the jaw. But they said that the bad thing about that is the muscle will in all likely hood grow back. They said they would want it to grow back weaker, but it could grow back stronger which is not what they want. I was wondering if anyone has herd of a surgery or one similar to it? Has anyone had something like this happen to them, or know of any one that it has happened to? Or if you are an Oral surgeon do you know of anything that they could do surgery wise or even non-surgical? I would appreciate any help I can get or ideas.

Thank you all for your time
Kendra  
Tags: EE
Occlual appliance therapy,also known as splint, night guard,tmj orthodox,along with manipulation therapy probably can provide you long term relief, if you see an experienced and competent tmj specialist.