TMJ, tinnitus and alcohol
Hi all,
My husband has been suffering from TMJ and tinnitus for several years now. He has seen dentists, jaw specialists (wears a night mouthguard), had an MRI (clear), had acupuncture and seen a chiropractor. All to no avail. Can his tmj and tinnitus be caused by excess alcohol consumption? He does drink everyday..... more+ than the recommended daily amount. I feel the alcohol may have a role is causing or worsening his issues.

Comments or thoughts appreciated :-)
Janet
Hi, Janet!

Looks like there is mixed opinions out there about tinnitus and alcohol, but it would appear alcohol can be a cause of it.  It also looks like people who consume alcohol tend to have more problems with clenching and or grinding their teeth at night, which of course, can in turn affect your jaw joints.

Please see private message for more info..
A simple way to test this would be to drop alcohol consumption totally for a short period of a week or so. Using his previous state of symptoms as a control.

I'm having TMD symptoms as well, some sinus issues in the ear/eye/nose as well as jaw pain. I know how stressful it can be and sometimes the alcohol does provide temporary relief to stress and pain, but is definitely not a replacement for treatment.

Not to get too personal, but I hope he is able to reduce his consumption before he has real serious problems resulting from it.

Wish you both the best.