Temporomandibular Joint & Muscle Community
TMJ/Neck pain...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to temporomandibular joint issues including headaches and managing pain.

TMJ/Neck pain...

Wondering if the problem that I have with my could cause jaw pain???  I noticed on Sunday afternoon when I was eating lunch that my jaw was hurting - hurt to open my mouth and hurt while chewing.  I think I have TMJ, although no dentist has agreed with me, but my jaw clicks and I can see it shift when I open my mouth.  So now I have this jaw pain that almost seems connected somehow to my neck -- just not sure if it's a possibility??  And how can I relieve it??!!??
Any input is appreciated!
don,t feel so bad i been whit so many doctors and after almost 4 years in pain 2 surgerys like  if15 shoots in my face after the last surgery my tmj get worse my cheek in the right side my teeh in the top and in the botom  my ear my eyes   the clicking the hurt when i open my mouth mostly in the mornings and my shoulder and doctors don,t agre some say is tmj and others  tell me is something alse  i feel like i,m crazy one doctor tell..me i need another surgery but they dont aceept my insurance   so my husband take me to dallas  but they cancel the apmt  so we whent to another place this doctor gime more shoots i feel sorry for you go to a tmj specialist i have  surgery for tn if you feel something like electrick shooks in you face and something like burning stabing pain  that is tn  good luck  an d sorry for my writing
I have the same problems as you are experiencing. My TMJ doc. told me that the muscles that affect your jaw also affect you neck and head. He has suggested hot pack and neck exercises. I aslo take pain medication and wear mouth gaurds. I suggest you see a TMJ specialist because my dentist couldnt give me a strait answer or solution as well.  You definatley have tmj and it needs to be treated. If you feel locked on oneside my doc suggest slowly moving your jaw to the opposite side and slowly opening. Also for the clicking you should not open your mouth as wide and eat soft foods. Over the counter medications like asprin or such might work.
TMJ really ***** and the sooner you see a tmj doc the better because it is a long process to fix the condition.
hope this helped best of luck. If you are from  az i could give u the name of a specialist.
what kind of dr do u see for this/ i have had acupunture and chiropractor/ i still hurt. like a bad ear ache and sometimes extreme headache/ I want to see a dr that can give me [ pain meds for the really  bad days/