Temporomandibular Joint & Muscle Community
TMJ and dizziness

This patient support community is for discussions relating to temporomandibular joint issues including headaches and managing pain.

TMJ and dizziness

I got diagonosed with TMJ a few days ago. No a sever case but for about 5-6 weeks, ive be so dizzy and out of it, like when i get a sinus infection. No energy, weak, pain in ears from time to time, bad spine pain.

My question really is about how much TMJ can mess with your hearing perception, as well as eyes, etc.... leading to dizziness, feeling out of it, dreamy like..

Anyone else feel this? if so, how bad, how long did it last, what helps?
Dear patient
To answer you question in simple words, yes there is a connection between TMJ dysfunction and ear; hence dizziness, hearing loss, ringing in the ears, stuffy ears and as well as eyes such as pressure behind eyes, are common symptoms of TMJ dysfunction.
I would also recommend you have a consultation with an ENT (Ear Nose Throat Specialist). If those symptoms fall under the category of TMJ dysfunction, after a thorough medical check up, I would recommend an evaluation by a TMJ expert. As far as how long will it last? Every person is different and so are their bodies how it accommodates to pain. some time it last for a short time some times it can last an eternity and become very debilitating.
Sincerely,
Dr. Mehregan  
Thanks for the quick reply.

Does TMJ affect any other parts of your body? Spine, neck, stomach? And im not sure if this helps, or if you have any experience with it, but I have a tooth thats decayed and has a hole if it for 3+ years. I fear the dentist so i havent got it checked. Is it possible that an infection in my tooth could increase the TMJ symptoms and all that? Im gonna get it checked out this week cuz im so concerned. Ive had blood tests done, would they have shown an infection? Or is that something that you would have to be looking for in order to find? thanks
Again, yes it could affect the other parts of your body too, but so do other medical conditions. So it is imperative to have a thorough medical check up to rule out a medical condition.
A hole in a tooth does not cause TMJ but the pain and infection could exacerbate the TMJ symptoms. Fearing dentist is normal and we do see it every day but there are also a lot of dentists who do provide sedation dentistry.
Visit www.top3dentist.com to find appropriate dentist.