Temporomandibular Joint & Muscle Community
eminectomy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to temporomandibular joint issues including headaches and managing pain.

eminectomy

what should i expect from having a eminectomy. I have never had surgery. I was wondering how difficult is the procedure? how long is the procedure ? how painful it would be for me?  how long to heal?
What do you need eminectomy for? Are you referring to discectomy? If the disc is anteriorly displaced and can not be reduced manually, surgical intervention is indicated, not necessarily complete excision of the disc.
No i don't need a discectomy. I seen a surgeon and he said i need a eminectomy. They will be removing some bone on my skull where my jaw is so it will no longer lock. I am scared, because he told me that there might be a chance of nerve damage
Restriction of tmj motion by prominent temporal eminence is rare. Seeing a tmj specialist to investigate the true cause of  restricted joint motion is advised.
Hello, I had an eminectomy last october as i couldnt open my mouth and when i ate it clicked all the time and i could only slide my food in. I wish i had looked at all the options open to me, as this has left me unable to blink, my eyelid has drooped down, and i am also unable to frown, and i will now  need further operations as the muscle in my forehead no longer works, and will start to droop down. please please please ask the surgeon about everything before hand i wish i had
I'm very sorry to hear about your outcome, I was really scared that the same thing ould happen to me. I had the surgery in June 2008. I was lucky. I had minimal numbnes on the side of my head, as time passed the nerves healed and gave me feeling back. It did take a while. i still don't have complete felling in about a 2" diameter by the top of my ear.Hope fully in time you will get feeling back and everything will function normally.