jaw, teeth and facial pain.
advice please!! I am 54 years old and have a terrible problem with jaw pain. Nearly 30 years ago I was told I had TMJ. I had a mouth guard made and wore it. Unfortunately, it never stayed in my mouth. I suffered with this on and off for years. Now that I am older it has gotten much worse. I do have some peridontal disease and I am being treated for that. Just like every one, stress is a factor in my life. I have tried to reduce it, but life gets in the way. I have taken prescription anti-inflam. and flexoril at night. I find myself clenching my teeth night and day!! I wake up with sore teeth, I work all day with sore teeth and jaws. I can't seem to get it to quit! I use warm packs, massages too. I have broken two teeth this spring already. Back to the dentist for caps which makes all this sprial back out of control. I'm out of ideas. Any help?? Any appreciated. Thanks in advance.
You really need to go back and get a mouth guard made. For years I would take mine out in my sleep or actually shatter the whole thing because of how hard I clench. I can not sleep without it now. I cant fall asleep unless its in my mouth.

I also take flexoril when needed and Amitriptyline every night. I try to read more to get rid of stress and if its really bad I use a heating blanket on my neck and jaw.

I have had acupuncture in my jaw as well as massage therapy inside the mouth. which doesnt feel good at all but it does help relax the muscles.

Really though I cant express to you enough you need a mouth guard to start out with.  You can also go see an orthopedic surgeon who will do xrays to see if there is any damage done. I had ones done 2 yrs ago and the same side I had the surgery on is where the disc is degenerating and I have mild osteoarthritis in that joint. The other disk is folded yet I have no pain on that side.  

I am 35 now and I have had TMJ since I was 13.