Temporomandibular Joint & Muscle Community
sharp random head pains related to TMJ

This patient support community is for discussions relating to temporomandibular joint issues including headaches and managing pain.

sharp random head pains related to TMJ

For about 6 months, I have been having random, sharp, shooting head pains that strike at anytime. I wouldn't exactly call these headaches, even though I do get my fair share of those. I also have the occasional migraine.
I started seeing a neurologist. She thought the pain was attributed to neuralgia, so I was prescribed muscle relaxers and sent on my way.
The pains have gotten worse and they spread, so to speak. I had to stop taking my medication because I'm pregnant. At times they strike in the same area, then after that bugs me for awhile, it moves.
Now, I have been grinding my teeth almost my entire life. At least since I was 8, I'm 19 now.. I find myself clenching my teeth during the day without even knowing I do it. I haven't been clinically diagnosed, but I know I have TMJ disorder. My jaw clicks, pops and even feels like it wants to get stuck.
Can my random electric like sharp head pains be from TMJ or should I worry?
I can't see my neurologist again until after I have given birth. Any advice?
Short electrical sharp pain is not a common manifestation of Temporomandibular Disorder. it does suggest neuralgia, depending on the dermatome distribution to supplied nerve to speculate what kind of neuralgia. Other descriptions of symptoms do suggest TMD. Seeing a tmj specialist is advised.
This sounds like typical chronic TMD.  Most people do not realize the jaw is extremely powerful and if you are grinding your teeth you are not only changing your occlusion, the way your teeth fit together, you are also building up the surrounding muscles that move and support your jaw.  You can actually have bilateral muscle differences.  Since you are pregnant the hormones associated with pregnancy can effect all your joints as the body loosens things up for delivery.  My suggestion is heat to the effected area, gentle massage, acupuncture and you must become aware of your facial muscles during the day.  Try relaxation methods before you go to sleep.  You will need to have a night guard made to protect your teeth.  The best are the hard plastic that fit over the upper teeth do not use the soft rubber ones as you will grind more during the night.  You need to seek a dentist that specializes in disorders of the TMJ.  It will be a process of many adjustments with the nightguard as your muscles begin to relax and allow your teeth to fit together in a more anatomical occlusion.  A common misconception is that people feel they will be cured the minute they get the night guard.  Remember it took years to misalign your jaw and it will take some time to reset it the natural way.  Good Luck!!
Thank you both for your responses.
I had a mouth guard made about 4 months ago. It's the "more expensive one"; hard plastic that fits over my bottom teeth.
Unfortunately, I live in a small town and specialists are hard to come by. My dentist knows I suffer from some type of TMJ disorder, I just don't think he realizes how bad it is. I'll bring it up at my next visit.

scottma:
I also wonder if the neuralgia could be related to the damage being done by my TMJ disorder. Is that a possibility?
There is no strong evidence of neuralgia brougt about by TMD.
I have expirienced Ear pain and Pain in my jaw. I havn't seen a docter yet because of what i have been reading online. I have a dentist appointment today though and feel that i schould tell her that i think i have TMJ. My parents think that its a cavity but i do no think so... These pains have been staying with me since yesterday so I am also not 100% sure that i have TMJ afteri go to the dentist i will leave another comment saying if the dentist really treats TMJ or not.
I've been having the same pains! This comment won't answer your question, but I just want you to know you're not alone! I'm 17 and have had TMJ most of my life, I experience sharp pains that are focused on a certain part of my head. It's strange. I always think the worst and convince myself i'm dying or something x(. I guess it is because of the TMJ, i'm not sure. It's scary to me, but I learn to live with it. It's comforting to know that I am not the only one who experiences these pains.