Temporomandibular Joint & Muscle Community
temporal tendonitis vs. parotid blockage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to temporomandibular joint issues including headaches and managing pain.

I have been experiencing pain along my facial nerve( over right ear, temple, jaw, teeth) for about four wks. now. Dentist exam is clear.  It is not shocklike, but constant and the inside of my right cheek right up by my teeth is so sensitive to touch that if it is pressed, it feels sore for hours and advil does not help at all. Went to the ER today as advised by primary and tmj ct scan was negative.  I've read about temporal tendonitis and it fits me to a "t".  Does an oral-maxillar facial surgeon treat this? Also...could it be a parotid blockage even though er dr. did not think so...I'm not swollen at all but the pain is quite intense. I have been put on steroids and muscle relaxants.
Seeing an orofacial pain specialist is advised.
hi - I had the same pain it is your temporal tendon there is a short and long tendon and they radiate pain around the temple area and jaw...there is a doctor "Ira klemons" in new jersey that does the rf procedures to burn the nerve and stop the pain transfer.
im not very experienced at this site so I hope you get this message
The radiofrequency neurolysis is a good procedure for temporal tendonitis if that is what you have.  Lidocaine/cortisone injections are equally effective.  Both may need to be repeated.  The big issue is why you may have temporal tendonitis---usually from clenching/bruxing associated with TMJ pain or sleep disordered breathing.  Follow scottma's advice and find a qualified orofacial pain specialist and get a correct diagnosis. TMJDoc