Temporomandibular Joint & Muscle Community
tmj who should i see for help?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to temporomandibular joint issues including headaches and managing pain.

tmj who should i see for help?

Hello I'm a 29yr. Old woman who was assulted by a stranger and had my jaw broken in5 places. I was reffered to an ear,nose, and thoart dr, a dentist and just several general pratice dr.s. they all keep telling to go see the other and giving me the complete run around. I have severe headaches for days at a time sometimes they are so bad my eyes swell shut or I see spots  my face and jaw joints ache all the time. My ears hurt and click and some times I have deaf spells my jaw pops and clicks when chewing, talking, smiling, smoking or really anything that the requires me to use facial muscles. My assult was nearly 10yrs. Ago and because of my finaces I got my surgery at the school of dentistry I got medicial insurance 6yrs. Ago(because of a baby) and had to resort to going to the er regularly for motrion for pain I need to know what types of specialists to see please help.   Thankyou
My suggestion would be to go and see an oral and maxilliofacial surgeon. It sounds like your jaw joints are being affected and there are things they can do to help. For example if the little cushion (meniscus) in between the joints is pushed into the wrong place you can get pain, clicking, popping, etc. This sometimes happens after dental surgery or just happens on its own. They can do surgery to put it back in place.

I would insist on seeing a pain specialist. They usually have a multidisciplanary team of specialists that can give you all the tools to manage your pain. At the very least you should see a physiotherapist because they can do things like put ultrasound on the joints that help relax the muscles. It doesn't last long, but there is significant pain relief from it.

You may want to ask for is anti-inflamation cream (Diclofenac). You can rub the cream just in front of, and just behind the ear and it helps to reduce pain and swelling. Another thing you can do (not at the same time as the cream) is get a pain rub that contains capscascian. Capsascian is a hot pepper extract and it can help reduce pain overal when used regularily. A535 and other heat/cold creams don't have the same effect.

The other thing I strongly suggest is taking 1500mg of a good quality glucosamine/chondroiten suppliment. It has been proven to increase fluid in the joint space and reduce pain as much as an ibuprofen can. Without stomach upset or risk of ulcers that ibuprofen has. You have to be patient though because it takes at least one month before you will see any effects.

I had my jaw joints completely rebuilt at 29. It is amazing what they can do. I went from mind numbing, on disability pain, to being able to work full time again.