Temporomandibular Joint & Muscle Community
weak wobbly thighs for 5 weeks any advice please

This patient support community is for discussions relating to temporomandibular joint issues including headaches and managing pain.

Ever since I went camping about 5 weeks ago, my thighs have been very wobbly and weak. It is freaking me out a little as I have never had anything more than muscle stiffness after exercise. A couple of weeks before the camping trip, I contracted some virus that left me and other in my family who caught it, quite fatigued. We all seemed to get over it though and I thought nothing of it; as I’ve been fatigued before. Hasn’t everybody? On the camping trip I had to pitch a large tent by myself. About 27 pegs on my haunches; but I also had to move the position of the tent several times and rip pegs out, so – in the end, I guess – I had to knock in – say – 35 to 40 pegs in extremely hot sun. Down near the ground, it was much hotter again. By the time I was finished, I was quite heat stressed. That night was the first time I noticed something funny. My thigh muscles were crawling. I didn’t think anything of it, but – after about a week – I found I had this really wobbly feeling in my thighs especially when striding at a mid range pace. I am not sure if the weakness is perceived or real, but it is quite pronounced. On the camping trip, I also chopped a lot of wood and completely did my lower back in. Could hardly walk because of lower back pain and had to have a couple of days off of work. I went to the G.P. and they did blood and fecal tests and found absolutely nothing except for very slightly elevated CK – which the GPs don’t seem too concerned about. They tested for thyroid and it was negative. They tested for iron and parasites and all the other standard blood tests. A week later I did my back again just bending down and I noticed that I had radiating pain across the front of my thighs. I Was sent to a neurologist who tested me with the machine that does the electric shocks and then the needles that they sink into your muscles to listen to the electrical sounds. She cleared me of motor neuron and has ordered an MRI. But that is not for weeks yet. I have noticed that my upper arms are also either fatigued or weak; which freaks me out a bit more. Riding my motor bike, my upper arms are now getting quite tired. Others are telling me that it is just anxiety, but – if it is – it is a pretty powerful physical effect. I really don’t know how to tell the difference between perceived weakness and real weakness, but I do occasionally feel considerably better. When I do feel less weak, I feel close to normal, apart from the fact that the muscles that previously felt weak and wobbly feel quite stiff and sore at this time. When I have these ‘normal times,’ I also have a funny creepy tingly feeling in my arms and scalp. I seem to still be able to climb stairs reasonably well without puffing or panting, but going down a slope is quite scary. I wanted to do a ‘sugar stress test’ but my GPs say that my ‘random blood sugar reading’ is fine, and it seems I will really have to push the point to get her to do it.
Anyway, does anybody have similar symptoms which – hopefully – went away eventually? Or does anybody have any idea what this might be?
Oh well, no 'words of wisdom' from anybody yet.  I am off for an MRI tomorrow.  Symptoms are now in my upper arms as well.  Very creepy and frightening.  I guess I will keep posting as I find out more - if for nothing more than - to give some information to anybody else who googles these symptoms.