Testicular Cancer Community
Testicle backwards?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to testicular cancer.

Testicle backwards?

So I self examed my testicles last week.  Left was fine, it's the good testicle.  On the right, the bad testicle, I found a bump.  At first I was worried it might be cancer but I'm not worried about that at all anymore.  What I'm worried about is that my testicle appears to be backwards.  The bump is not isolated.  There's clearly a tube like structure attached to it.  It appears to be the epidydimis.  Unfortunately, it's in the front instead of in the back.  So I thought my testicle has rotated 180 degs.  Now I think it may have rotated end over end so that top is now down.  It's normal to have a bump where the epidydimis attaches but is that on the top or bottom.  The bump for me is on the buttom in the front.  Why is this the "bad" testicle?  It's always been loose.  I refer to it as being not attached as well.  It often goes horizontal during the course of a year instead of laying verticle.  I'm afraid what's happened this time is that instead of settling back into the proper orientation that it may have flipped top to bottom.  I've seen doctors about this over the years but they've said not to worry.  This is the first time I've noticed what appears to be the epididymis in front though.  There is no pain persay.  Just the occassional twinge.  It is a bit sensitive but this testicle has always been that way.  I've scheduled a appointment with my primary care physican for next week, it was the first appointment available.  I tried to schedule one with a urologist but the first appointment is in April.  I know I should get this checked out right away but short of going to the ER, this is the soonest I can be seen.

Is it common to have the epididymis on the front?  If not, how worried should I be?
Hi there!

Since you do describe an abnormal positioning of the testis e.g. in the horizontal position; this could be a malformation with inadequate fixation of the testis in the scrotum while testicular/ scrotal growths/ masses may need to be ruled out as well. Though inadequate fixation may not be a problem by itself, it may increase the risk of a few conditions such as testicular torsion and may need to be managed surgically. I would suggest considering a detailed evaluation by a general surgeon or a urologist for suggestion of an appropriate management plan.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!