278?1253665060
The Chronic Pain Couch User Group
Weekly discussion on a particular pain medication (Oxycodone)
About This Group:

This is a great site for anyone suffering from Chronic Pain or has a Family member or Friend who suffers. A place where you can tell your story, find others with similar conditions or pain, help someone in need, read up on the latest Chronic Pain treatments or simply sit for a while. Chronic Pain as we all know can be debilitating and relentless. It is not prejudice in any way, shape, or form. It can strike without warning and stay for life. The Chronic Pain Couch is a place designed for your comfort, and please note.. You don't have to suffer from chronic Pain to be a part of this community, we offer a variety of other topics as well. I truly hope that you will come and join us. And remember, there is never a need to worry whether or not your post has been read, a member or myself (Molly) are generally available to read and respond to all posts that come our way...... We are always here for you. Together We CAN Make A Difference in each others lives and how we manage day to day in coping with our relentless pain. Warmest regards, Mollyrae, founder of The Chronic Pain Couch.

Founded by Mollyrae on September 22, 2009
774 members

Hi to all:

It was brought to my attention that we should start a weekly discussion on certain pain meds that make our level of pain easier to live with. With that said, I would like to start with one mediation and it's pro's and cons. This week we will be discussing Oxycodone. How is it prescribed to you, for what and most importantly how does it work for you.

Many Doctors use this medication for breakthrough pain and this is how it's prescribed for me.

I take 1-2 30mg tabs in the morning and at bedtime. I have found that since I have incorporated Fentanyl into the mix that it is not nearly as potent as it once was. I have gone from 5 mg, 3x per day to the 15mg I'm currently taking and for some reason lately I cannot tell if I have taken it or not. Is it that the Fentanyl is so strong that it cancels the Oxy out? I don't know.

So, how does it work into your lives for the rest of you?

Warmest regards,
Molly
Molly the fentanyl should not cancel out the Oxycodone. The oxy should enhance the fentanyl to some degree.

I do not take oxy. My physician does not like the drug and therefore will not prescribe it. She has prescribed fentanyl, methadone and morphine so it's not narcotics, it's that particular narcotic that she opposes.

I have had it sporadically prescribed over the last 15 years. To be honest I cannot notice any difference between 15mg of hydrocodone and 10mg of oxycodone. My system is so unusual and different from most other ppls. All of the Big Dogs I am either allergic to or I can't get through the severe headaches and they don't reduce the pain to any great degree. So I stay with the hydrocodone and suffer with basically uncontrolled pain.I throw in 5mg of diazepam every few weeks when the I cannot go another minute.

Sorry I can't add more to the oxycodone discussion.
I am not currently on oxycodone but have taken them in the past for post surgery pain.  I found them much better at pain control than Tylenol 3's although my brain function was not as good on it.
I'm almost relieved to hear of the experiences the two of you have had. I was thinking that because I use the Fentanyl, any breakthrough will just not work anymore.

I have discussed the effects with my Doctor and he seems to think that it should work. This was the reason for the increase. I was taking Morphine in place of the Oxy and had relief but at a cost. It made me so tired that I couldn't get anything done so he put me back on the Oxy.

i don't know where to turn next. With this shoulder injury, the Oxy just isn't cutting it. I have increased the Oxy with some relief but not enough. I have left myself a week short with the Oxy's but that per Doctors orders. I will refill the Oxy a week early when I see him on Tuesday. Do you think I should ask him to increase it permanently? I do feel better adding 2 to the mix everyday. ....Just a thought.

Thanks,
Molly
I am prescribed Endocet 10/325mg One pill twice a day for breakthrough pain,it's the generic for oxycodone . Molly,  I'm with you on this one though as I'm on the 100mcg fentanyl patch and I don't feel or notice they endocet at all. has fentanyl been discussed yet? It has been the best big dog Med ive taken and has given me back a huge portion of my life thankfully that I thought I'd never see again.
This is the very reason why I thought discussing certain meds was worth it's weight in gold.

I had this feeling that the Fentanyl being that it's so strong is playing a BIG part in my breakthrough meds not working so well.

I have read just recently that Fentanyl attaches to a different receptor than other pain meds and for that reason it can cancel out some of the opiates available for pain. Now I don't know if that's true and it will be a great topic for my Doctor on Tuesday. I will let you know what I find out. Fentanyl will be next weeks discussion.

Thanks for the input...it's all very valuable information...
Molly
Molly you asked if you should request an increase in your oxy's. In my opinion until your shoulder heals that may not be a bad idea. I just don't want you to get at the level that you can't go any higher. Once it is raised it's difficult to reduce it.

However on the flip side who wants to be in pain? It's a doubled edged sword.

Thanks Tuck....I agree with you. I have gotten back down to where I should be...very hard though.....I'm not sure my shoulder is ready for that.
I've been taking percocet 5/325 for the last 1.5 years, just recently I was able to take 10mgs at a time.  It certainly is not a strong enough medication for a spinal cord nerve injury.  Just today I recieved a script for oxycontin along with the percocet and hopefully I will have better pain management.  
I take 10/325 endocet 6 times a day for Lyme,arthritis,muscle spasms, bone pain, degenerative disks. I have taken them for 4 years now i think and they take the edge off thats it. The pain is so strong. My rheumatologist is worried about my liver but wont change me to something without acetominaphen. None of the Family Dr's around will prescribe this kind of medicine but will hand out adderall (adderrall) like it is candy. I thought endocet wa for break through pain and not supposed to be used for long lasting pain. I am searching for a pain managmement doctor but cant seem to get my family Dr to refer me. I use to be able to get my daily chores done with this medicine now i cant even do that. I clean my house i am in bed for 2 days recooping. I feel like a prisoner in my body and now a prisoner to this medication because if you dont take it you get sick. I also think it takes away your emotions. Pain rules my life. I just want to enjoy simple things in life but cant cause i am constanly hurting.
I agree, oxycodone/endocet is generally prescribed as a B/T or quick release med. I use it for B/T pain.

You should be on Oxycontin or Fentanyl for long term pain in my opinion. There are also many other meds besides the two I mentioned for extended release pain control.

I'd ask your Dr about this possibility, but sadly, as I know from experience, this is easier said than done.

Warm regards

-Brian.
thats what I am on now for post surgery recovery.  i need one and a half of the rx'd dose to see a difference.  given my past with pain and pain mgt coming with rx's which leads to what is now my friend addiction..  i am going to have to go from percs to OTC meds now since god forbid it's believable that i have my period ongoingly for more than a week.  i wish it wasn't that double edged sword because trust me, the last thing i want is to become addicted again and use it for anything but the most severe serious pain (which is what i am in once again).  
the more i write today the more i'm thinking who cares if i am only thirty.. pull it all out.. hysterectomy is sounding almost dreamy compared to weighing these pain mgt issues for the rest of my life..
sorry.. i guess i'm just wallowing today..  
nursegirl6572 "Patience is the calm accep... Comment
nursegirl6572 commented on nursegirl6572's status
Sep 16
chesbeach joined this group
Welcome them!
Sep 13