278?1253665060
The Chronic Pain Couch User Group
like to- Learn a pain-relief technique with Omhome?
About This Group:

This is a great site for anyone suffering from Chronic Pain or has a Family member or Friend who suffers. A place where you can tell your story, find others with similar conditions or pain, help someone in need, read up on the latest Chronic Pain treatments or simply sit for a while. Chronic Pain as we all know can be debilitating and relentless. It is not prejudice in any way, shape, or form. It can strike without warning and stay for life. The Chronic Pain Couch is a place designed for your comfort, and please note.. You don't have to suffer from chronic Pain to be a part of this community, we offer a variety of other topics as well. I truly hope that you will come and join us. And remember, there is never a need to worry whether or not your post has been read, a member or myself (Molly) are generally available to read and respond to all posts that come our way...... We are always here for you. Together We CAN Make A Difference in each others lives and how we manage day to day in coping with our relentless pain. Warmest regards, Mollyrae, founder of The Chronic Pain Couch.

Founded by Mollyrae on September 22, 2009
766 members

OK my first question for you folks is: where do you think we should hold this "class"---with discussion and Q and A-----but very very little about symptoms and diagnosis and venting (is necessary and helpful for sure but not in this context.).  At pain management (so much there is medical talk---not how the forum is described) or at the pain couch.   I have to say i prefer the couch but worry because there are so few people active there it seems right now. OR Both? (is that allowed?). So help me find a home for it and i will start building it. Who said "if i build it they will come" ? Cindee?  Anyway----now please responds soon and we will get it started.  To begin i will answer some of motown's excellent questions at couch  soon. Maybe this afternoon.  I await your responses!!!!  om   yogadon
    first i want to answer motown's question about what you would have to look forward to by participating in my class----and just what the heck it is i am trying to offer!! You can look forward to learning how to relax the body when it tenses up (and increases the pain)--how to recognize when it is building those tense knots-----how to shift or switch the mind out of those negative loops (we have been so conditioned to) to a more positive quality of the mind (and this is not the positive-thinking technique--although that has its place)--how to recognize when that tension is building and "channel" or "switch" to relaxation of that build-up. And how to not suffer the pain so much----still feel and acknowledge it---but in a way just observe it from your "inner observation deck"  or your " inner oasis"--or sanctuary that we will each build(and each inner home will be different) during this class. OK.  Please respond (that will be necessary for this class!) with questions or to let me know if i need to clear up some things before we start with the practice. I love you guys . I need your help and input regularly to make this work----and it will work!!!  om   yogadon
I'm all for it!  I get extremely tense with my pain, and I know that makes it worse!    Only thing is time difference--remember I live in NJ  But I suppose I could just go on anytime.  I'm always up till 3am anyway with my pain I can't sleep.

Let me know.  I actually paid a therapist a lot of money to teach me *coping skills* for pain and he was terrible!  I trust you and it's free, right, lol
thanks for posting here and hopefully other folks will post--ask questions--- etc. soon---so we can get started!And this is Not time sensitive as we all can practice and read or post anytime. So sleep  my dear cindee whenever that is possible and remember there are no shoulds or have-to dos (except posting?) and every little bit you do just adds to and adds up!!! let's wait and see if there is any interest cindee---if not we'll e-mail each other!  ok!   om  

Let's begin with the idea that a word--or a phrase--can have an effect on your quality of mind--on your mood---on how you see and experience each moment of your day. A good example (especially if you have dogs):  when we said the word "beach" to Shasta (white lab) her whole body responded with wiggling and excited trembling--ready to go!! For your dogs maybe the word "park"  or "walk" gets that immediate response. The dog has paired (associated) word "beach" to joy of sand-water-birds. With a little repetition they become conditioned positively to that word. Shasta also responded to the word "vet" !! Immediately her whole body would cower-tremble in fear (she had had Bad times at the vet) and she would go hide under the kitchen table---her safe place. For a child maybe the word "disneyland" or "christmas" and they wiggle positively.  Word dentist(if a bad time there-pain etc.) or "chores" (me) and respond with a negative mood. The inner weather gets cloudy!
     We can use this Science to our benefit! Your first "assignment" or "homework" or OmWork! is to find or create that word or phrase that brings you your desired quality of mind or mood. Now if you will just pretend-imagine-act as if you are already feeling that mood---and as best you can focus on inhale (do not change anything about the breath---that may come later) while you say inhale refresh beach (your word) and keeping the mood best ya can exhale saying exhale relax beach (i use om). Not out loud. Eyes closed if that's comfortable. Inner voice. Fake it 'till you make it. To start do it just a few minutes. Might notice the breath calming. Maybe notice that for just a short moment there really was that desired feeling state!!  And just like building a muscle with practice we are building that connection and resulting mood.  In time this becomes more powerful and we will apply it to any thing we wish.
     At first just do it and don't fret over any results----practice is the key--strengthening that association. Read this over and think about it. Make sure you get the idea and here is where you ask ?'s about it if you like.   I know it looks too simplistic!!@Trusty me . with a little time---Magic.    more later   POST back!!   om    yogadon

an earlier post on same subject
     ok   so inhale-refresh. Any position(back straight) is fine just do it when you remember but every morning for sure. The feeling-state or your mental state (i call it inner weather) during refresh is like this===when we said the word "beach" to our lab there was instant JOY---tail going whole body excited happy happy dog---or the feeling of a child night before or morning of christmas---or you before the trip to bora bora!!That feeling! Imagine it! Really. imagination is powerful. The mind can believe it. Like placebo effect.  Or conditioning.  If you like add a word or image (or both) to help. So maybe say the word refresh (or beach) as you inhale and feel sunshiney. The more you practice this (tailor it to you) the more effective and reliable it becomes. At first just pretend you feel the refreshment. What can you lose.  
      Now don't hold or force your breath---just relaxed but full inhale---primary nutrient!! Elixir.  I know it sounds weird or hokey or?  but is bases on scientific principles.    Give it a try and see.   There is yet more to it than that but first  just this step..  
      Next time the exhale-relax practice. I bet many of you have done the exhale with relaxation and ahhhh  etc before.   Anyway make it a good day in spite of the challenges.    Sometimes it is a choice.   sometimes not.   om    yogadon
Reply
copy of earlier post
     OK  so what does this have to do with pain? One of my good friends is a doula and she says that the women who use the breathing techniques that are core to the program swear by them. (not the swearing during labor!HA!). The more that they had practiced (often with the husbands) the more effective was the pain relief and the relaxation of the muscular tension!! Many of them continue the breathing exercise---along with some husbands (i see so few men in my classes) and teach it to their children (can be a "miracle" for some) It works for pain and the key is practice practice practice.  More about the inspiration (the inhale) next time.  om    don
now if you are more of a visual person you can imagine--visualize your favorite place.  Such as a pool of water--swimming hole----beach!(bring the dogs) a garden spot   whatever  and if you want (don't have to) add the "magic word" too.
    If more tactile then sense-feel brush of air at the inside tip of the nose and let that feel take you "home". We make an inner oasis or sanctuary we can visit anytime (times of more pain).
   the point is to be creative and inventive and experimental with what will work for you. Remember this is going to take a little time to find "It" but there are immediate rewards every time and like a plant just let it ripen at its' own pace.  relax.  refresh.   om
    in this style (and you will develop  at your own pace and depending on practice) you can be in any physical condition. If you can have the spine fairly straight---sit or stand or lie down.  Eyes closed if comfortable---otherwise open but not darting around---stillness is good.  and if you can breathe thru the nose. Notice breathing calming but don't actively Do it or change it yet yourself.  
    Our inner observation deck---our own inner mh moderator!!Ha! our inner censor----however you decide to create it or call it will come after a little practice just observing the breath. You are doing that in the inhale-exhale practice.  more after some feedback from you guys.   i love you guys  now do the practice every day and post.   omhome
I posted on Pain board but I'll post this--thank you so much for doing this.

I had trouble finding a word or phrase, so I am picking the visual of the view of the beautiful birds in my tree at my feeders that I can see from my window while I am laying in bed (cuz I can't sit comfortably).  Is that OK?

Oh, I really got what u said about the dog because our dog Connor goes nuts if you say WALK.  I love him, but he is more attached to my husband so I'm using the birds, lol!

Now I'm trying the focusing on the breathing--hey don't give too much more homework OK.  I'm no there yet....

Love,
Cindee
you got it cindee---just relax into the birds visualization and let the breath slowly relax and imagine you are feeling peaceful and that will be enough. whenever you remember  you can imagine your way into this inner retreat you are building. Focus on each breath as each inhale-refresh and exhale-relax cycle brings you deeper peace and relaxation.  OK?  no more than that until you so desire!!!! I am glad ya got it.  omhome
cindee: you will begin to notice your thoughts have wandered away from your focus on the breath----normal and happens to all of us and there is no need to try to stop them or push them away. Just gently guide the mind back to your point of focus. This bringing the mind back when it wanders is what strengthens the connection and as that "muscle" builds you will wander less and less and you will be able to relax and watch and observe the thoughts (with No judgement).   First step.  
       The next step will be to notice the negative or painful thoughts or impulses as they arise. This is where we can "diffuse" or "unplug" their power.  But----more on that later cindee.  Keep practicing----make it playfull not all serious or like work  ok???    omhome
i should mention that this is the place if you are of a devotional nature that you could use the word lord--jesus--mary if christian. Hindus use krishna---ram ram----devi---like that.  Buddhists have different words or chants they use here.  So this for religious folks is where you would rest and abide in that spirit.   one use of prayer--not for something--just a graceful abiding.  ok?  om
cindee---about a word.  I have used the word Yes in my classes--we all chant it Loud and with creativity and playfullness---Oh yeah--yesiree--hoo-ahh and any others.  We joke about teens using  "I know" "I know"  "it's all good" " my bad " things like that and i have tried that with them and they love it!
     And curve the corners of your lips towards your ears (gentle smile) while you do it. Yes Yes Yes.  I use it and yes away stuff all the time. Positive overcomes negative.  For contrast we chanted No a few times but didn't like how it felt at all.   Chanting Joy sounded like we were a choir. And "Love" was a powerful one.   I use OM because it has no meaning or association from my past and i attach an inner sunshiny feeling to it. Chases the clouds in my inner weather away.   So a little more about power of a word or phrase (mantra) to change the inner weather when we so desire later. If people respond i will continue---if they don't then we are on our own doing e-mail.  Hey---see what your husband thinks about this stuff!!   trust me cindee--you keep it up and iot will get stronger as a release from at least some of your pain.  OK?    omhome.
Hi omhome, our internet and tv have been out all day yesterday and just got back on.  till effects of the 2 storms..  

I am trying but having a bad day today with pain and my husband is pressuring me about *getting out* and he pushes me too hard.  Just sitting up for 20 minutes is a big accomplishment for me - but not good enough for him and it upsets me and then I can't get it out of my head.  I also have a bunch of dr. apts. and MRI's coming up (I'm terrifed of MRIs).

So question--how do you get  the other badstuff out of your head--I can't do it today.   I sat outside but couldn't focus,.  The pain is off the charts.  Should I stop for today?

So sorry, I did try....
you don't ever have to be sorry cindee and this  is not like a chore you have to do. Any effort you make counts and there is no way to lose the benefits.
    Now about the bad stuff. It just doesn't
seem to work to try pushing anything away. Our practice has a way to help with these "bad" thoughts. Read the following when you have enough time to really understand the concept. It looks simple but---well you will see. So an example:
      In the "old days" ( i love saying that---like the days age?) as kids we had an ink bottle (kinda squat with narrow neck) that was glued or somehow anchored to our desks. So a jar full of dark ink.  Just in case i will continue in next comment--don't want to lose this--it happens!  om
So---ink jar sits immobile on the desk and we have no tools or straws or anything much except access to water. The task is to end up with a fairly clear jar with the ink mostly Gone. How?
      Not too hard to find the answer after a while. And the demonstration our teacher gave us has stuck with me ever since. Simple--elegant--practical. You just start pouring clear water into the ink-jar. Very slowly so as not to stir it all up. And the dark ink begins to lighten up! Clearer and clearer.
     You just start pouring positive (your word--mantra----that lightning flash momentary peaceful quality of mind--just an instant even works and puts a drop of clear in). Drop by drop. Drip by drip.Clearer and clearer of that bad stuff (the ink). Like at the beginning of a river--just a trickle and then it builds!! A waterfall.
     And cindee: maybe the hardest is to practice compassion and forgiveness for the doctors and the friends and especially the husbands (rarely are the wives not understanding) because they just do not have a Clue about what we live everyday with). They really think they are helping by saying we are being wimpy and let's get going there because that's what you need. Tough love drill master.  Compassion?? Hard. But releases you from the fight and the mind-game BS.  
    Oh Boy i really wish i had the answer and could help more. I don't. I just know that once you can distance yourself a little from it all-0--it gets easier on the emotional body and that helps.
     I love you guys and more of you need to get on board.Post. I see some of you posting elsewhere but not here. Why is that when you have asked to be part of this? We need your input and your energy.   There are no Sorry's. No need to do its.(except posting now at the start). Once it starts going it will take on a life of its' own and you won't have to "try to do it" .  I need to stop and rest up---fill up the spirit tank.   Omhome
    well----hmmmm.  here is one way of looking at what we are practicing and where it leads.  No hurry to add this but when you have gained a little skill at the relaxing and focusing and are able to observe--witness some thoughts sometimes (don't have to be perfect) then you might try a little game of "choose the thought".
     Imagine now that that inner screen or place where thoughts "pop up" in consciousness is your computer screen!! and when you sense a positive thought arising well you just "Click On" that thought!! Get it?  And if a painfull or negative thought wants to take over your screen (and your consciousness--your quality of mind--) then you can choose to hit Delete!!  Or for fun click on it and send it to Trash----home of the trashy thoughts!!HA!..  The Trick is to catch those suckers before they take over the whole screen or your whole day and with practice and imagination YOU can Do It.   Let me know if i need to clear that up a bit. But play with the idea and see if it is for you.  There will be more "tricks of thought" in the future but for now stay strong with the breath--your mantra-word---relax-refresh and grow that before hurrying to the next technique.   Alright---i am being patient and hope more of you are trying this.
      If you are serious about getting some "control" over the unpleasant or painful thoughts that color your day then This Technique is the foundation of any of that kind of stuff you might try. Your mind will tell you it's a waste of time (see--i tried and it didn't work--see told ya!) . It is not!!   I hope you will have some relief soon--be patient.   omhome
That might work for me--about the computer screen and clicking on and off since I am on the darn thing so much!

Thanks for everything--I think I know the answer to your other question--check our messages.

Love,Cindee
ihey cindee---the computer thing is pretty cool huh?  Hey while you and all the rest of you guys are "computing" try out some bkground music by   Deva Premal and other stuff in the side-bars (which lead all over the place--very interesting ). See if you like it.  It originates from that place we go to during our meditations and can take us right to it as we listen!!!  On yiou tube--just put DevaPremal in that machine and WOW!   Thanks to you and motown for being there.  We need more folks in our" Cult" so go drag 'em in. Make 'em post. Remember to smile.    omhome
Just a quick note to let you know that I am reading and doing my homework. Just busy not much time to post more right now.
hey motowngirl-----thank you and please---really---i know you are there and you may post when you want to or are able to. Just because i post something to you or for you doesn't mean you need reply anymore. OK?  And i love to hear from you. You have more than met the challenge i extended to you!!!! So off to the beach it is!!  More later   omhome
cindee---i can't believe how much compassion and empathy you are offering so many posters (especially the first time ones who need response soon). Very beautiful!
     I "peeked" a note you left for peggysue---and i think you should invite her to check out our little group. You think??  
     And every time you recharge your battery by the meditations the more juice--the more energy --you have for those folks you help.   Let's aim high cindee and keep gathering those just like us together and see what together we can all do. And beginning from the most improbable place. Thank you medhelp.  and you cindee  and of course motowngirl!   omhome
I had a really rough dr. appt. today.  And it was a woman dr.--really shocked me!  She said to me *you have too many issues and this is taking too much time* and she actually left the room 4 times to take calls, etc while she was supposed to be with ME.  I just started with her (3rd appt.) had to switch for ins, reasons.  I actually had to ASK her for routine blood tests and , well, it's a long story, but the 4th time she left the room I was ready to explode!  I thought how RUDE and uncompasionate!  

BUT I SAID T o MYSELF---do what OM said --breathe and just click her off and I took a drink of water and composed myself even in all my pain.

Anyway, so this is a testament to the system working everyone!

Omhome, also thank you so much for what you said--I try to help everyone because I know what it's like to be scared, in pain and feel desperate and just needing someone to respond.
my god cindee---boy do i relate.  One doc (gone now) i had could not take his eyes off the computer screen---like he was being prompted by it!!.
    Many people have just lost the desire or ability (never seen it modeled) to connect and be compassionate. And Cindee you have that ability and found a way to have it for that poor doctor who is in pain--suffering--tired--or they would not be that way. Do all you guys get this.  The answer to people who broadcast anger or indifference---or show no compassion---is to just take " a drink of water and composed myself" to quote cindee! Awesome!
       The result of practice is to be able to use that skill when relating to doctors---husbands--wives--children--pets!! Yep. Pets! they can sense the difference in you easily.   anyway cindee thank you for the report. Now. Everybody get to playing (it is not really work) with creating your own meditative path to a little relief form all the pains we are challenged with daily.. Love you cindee---love you folks even though you are not Posting!!!@HA HA!! actually luv ya anyway   omhome
     to anyone who cares to have some real pain management all you need for the next step (do the practice offered to you as described for short periods) is to increase the time practicing as you realize How Well this works. You will be able to then use it out in the world!
     I think no one really believes this (looks too simple?) and that is so sad. They deprive themselves of Real Relief-----instead of just talk talk talk about it----DO something about it! Up To You.
      a few of you have been wonderful and you will do well if you will only continue---ok?   I will be around a day or two and answer any questions about the technique before i move on to where there is an interest in genuine help.
      i love you fellow pain folks. Omhome
Reply
   hey everybody---one day to go for me!!!   Aren't you guys tired of all the oh i hurt my finger---my toe is numb---i think i hurt somewhere stuff that should not be here (read our descriptor) but has its' place at another forum.   I tried before with that and no response again.  
      PAIN is what this is about---severe ongoing pain---not a doctor's place to satisfy some requirements of service?? i don't get it---someone clue me in.
     alright---motowngirl delayed it---But you will lose this opportunity if you keep not participating (motown--cindee---you guys are doing fine and keep the success stories coming) i know cindee that you don't think it worked much when you needed it but you remembered to do it and it will work with practice--promise)_---they inspire others to try at least.   om
Reply
Hey,  made it through dinner, and everybody even liked my carrots!  I did breathing and I decided to ask others how they were doing  and about their pets, etc. so it would not seem like I only cared about myself..  I even said grace!  But I had to sit in my own chair in the kitchen,  too bad I wasn't gonna budge on that one.  Now I am in my bedroom resting before dessert.  My back is killing me though,but I stayed controlled.  

The breathing and centering thing helped me a lot.

Next thing--Om-why are you leaving?  Is Med Help making you leave?  We need you here.  Will you still be a member?  If you join another board, please let us know where!
Hello!? You have an affinity for this sort of inner work----meditation--prayer---Cindee because it takes most people much longer to see such results. Pretty darn cool. so you--and the rest of our group know that at least some relief can be had with practice. Yeeehaw!      I am not joining any other boards.
       And MedHelp has been super patient with me----and i mean that sincerely or i would say so (and i have).  And helpful so thank you MH for the place to do this.
     I am perhaps beginning a fast from--words---talking---reading--anything to do with the normal blah blah blah of our daily lives -- It is called mauna and is a fairly common practice.Where i go  We will see---and Where in this Multiverse--Miniverse---not-really-there-verse i immerse in i will see..om
Well I will certainly miss you and hope you come back.  I wish you all the best and just thank you for helping me on the journey.  I will keep going as best I can...
thankyouthankyouthankyou----
and cindee
you have found that with just a little practice
and practicing during good or ok times--not just during stress--
that you can actually change how you are feeling and how you relate--
this is a huge discovery!
You don't need further instruction---just consistent practice---and that becomes every moment you remember to do it--in any body position-anywhere--anytime---living from that inner sanctuary as often as ya can
     Cindee--pass it on!!! Teach others the "trick" in your own way.  OK??

OM SHANTI         Farewell my friends         omhome
I am not to bid you farewell as I am sure you would come back to couch,because of your attachment to group members and urge to help people. It is true that response of members does not match your enthusiasm.It will take time to understand the finer points of PATANJALI YOGA AND HOLISTIC THERAPY. Even your periodic appearance will be enough to keep members linked to gather,
hi you guys! and we need to be more welcoming to new folks!! I hoped you would keep the energy going and keep the class Active! i love you guys   where are you??!  Omhome
MinnesotaNate commented on Why You Might Have A ...
1 hr ago
Dalubaba commented on Ellen038's status
Dalubaba commented on christineyvette's status