278?1253665060
The Chronic Pain Couch User Group
CRPS/RSD Nerve Block???
About This Group:

This is a great site for anyone suffering from Chronic Pain or has a Family member or Friend who suffers. A place where you can tell your story, find others with similar conditions or pain, help someone in need, read up on the latest Chronic Pain treatments or simply sit for a while. Chronic Pain as we all know can be debilitating and relentless. It is not prejudice in any way, shape, or form. It can strike without warning and stay for life. The Chronic Pain Couch is a place designed for your comfort, and please note.. You don't have to suffer from chronic Pain to be a part of this community, we offer a variety of other topics as well. I truly hope that you will come and join us. And remember, there is never a need to worry whether or not your post has been read, a member or myself (Molly) are generally available to read and respond to all posts that come our way...... We are always here for you. Together We CAN Make A Difference in each others lives and how we manage day to day in coping with our relentless pain. Warmest regards, Mollyrae, founder of The Chronic Pain Couch.

Founded by Mollyrae on September 22, 2009
775 members

CRPS/RSD Nerve Block???

I've been dealing with Workers Comp for almost 5 yrs now. My shoulder is in constant pain, burning, freezing cold to the touch at times, swells and just aches. I've been on meds for a few yrs now. W/C sent me to a pain specialists and he wants to do a sympathetic nerve block? this sounds terrifying to me, has anyone had one, does it help, and has anyone had it go bad on them? Please let me know all information, is there another way to deal with the pain etc without messing with the nerves =(
Tags: CRPS/RSD, pain shoulder, COLD HURTS, new journal, help
welcome to our group justmetwo and i am sure one of our members will be along soon to share some experience with nerve blocks.I am pretty sure madman has been there and done that. I have no experience with that but maybe later i can help you out with the pain.  Again---welcome and read our posts and catch up with our ongoing conversation.

omhome
I read your post here and I am a little confused about what is termed 'sympathetic nerve block'. I have had many nerve blocks. My issues is my hip and back. What the nerve blocks that I have had done are shots to the affected area which numbs the area first and then something is added to 'calm down' the nerve that the doctor sees as spasms. I will be truthful in this area since I have had many done. Sometimes they work and sometimes it requires another treatment. It is hard to describe. I had a recent nerve block done to my piriformis area (hip) and it numbed the nerve all the way down to my ankle. I left the doctors office in a wheelchair. About one hour later, the numbness wore off and the pain level was down. Remember that this is only a temporary solution because the nerve does grow back. It may take months but eventually it grows back and more treatment may be required.
Don't be afraid. Ask your doctor or nurse to explain what area is being treated and WHY. You can look up nerve blocks on the web but read up on your specific area of treatment.
Pain is sometimes caused by muscles spasming (sp). if medications do not work an nerve block may help. It basically stops the muscle from spasming which causes pain. Most of the nerve blocks I have had have been successful but understand the area being treated. I have never heard the term 'sympathetic nerve block' but look it up and see what the explanation says. If that does not give a clear explanation, call you doctor or nurse to explain what this is. Your education will help your fear.
thank you very much MadMan, it's a nerve on the spine in the neck that goes down the shoulder to the arm, they go through the front of the neck to the nerve close to the spine, freaks me out I must say!. If the block works they want to cut it, permanently, I don't want that but he's pushing it. I'm going to find another Dr for a second opinion!
Have your ever thought of neuro-dynamic therapy. Therapist puts tapes near the nerve endings,in reference to pain area.This is not an invasive therapy. I had read an interview with the  therapist.You may Google Neuwodynamic therapy.
Attention:Themadman, I have not discussed this therapy with you. I was searching something for my parastesia.-felling of tightness in my feet.  I feel that I have put on tight socks on my feet.This feeling is since last 7 or 8 years. Sensations do not respond to analgesics.Recently I have started using local anesthesia paste for some relief at night. As per the newspaper interview, I understand that physiotherapist do neuro-dynamic therapy with adhesive tapes.I wonder whether you have come across this therapy.
Wow, pushing for surgery? Is that really necessary? I have had many surgeries both good and bad but developed scar tissue which I did not know would happen. That has limited the future treatments I could get. Definitely get a second opinion. Do some on line research to see what options are open to you.
Thanks for the info.
I have got to mention to you that my caregiver is diabetic and has developed 'neuropathy' or a pain sensation in the balls of his feet. He doesn't like medication. When he develops these symptoms, I rub his feet for circulation and also use a stimulator on the balls of his fee which help bring down the pain. Thanks for the info all the way around.

I am not diabetic.Neurological physical examination was normal-neurological reflexes are normal. It is not painful but it is annoying. Recently I have started to apply lidocane( anesthetic agent), I might know in few days if it helps to stop the sensation.There are number of causes for these symptoms. Hypothyroidism is one of them. I am hypothorodic. I take replacement therapy. It works well except this sensation.I have learned to live with tinnitus(ringing of the ears) symptom of tightness of feet, Age related macular degeneration ARMD. No treatment for this disorders. Waiting for some advance in medical science. It will be good if it appears before I disappear.
I'm getting a second possibly third opinion, the thought of cutting anywhere near where I have CRPS/RSD just sends me over the edge! I've never heard of neuro-dynamic therapy but will be looking it up =) thank you guys for your replies, it's really appreciated
Physiotherapist does this therapy.They stick tapes at a trigger point or at the sight of the problem.I have Googled the site. I am trying to find the physiotherapist who had been interviews by the Newspaper. If you find some info pleas do inform me. Thanks.
Hi, I have had a few nerve blocks in my back. They don't go anywhere near the spinal cord. I've had 3 epidurals which do go into the spinal cord, and found them to be quite painful, and unfortunately for me, I didn't get any relief.

I really wouldn't hesitate about getting a nerve block. They are very safe and have given some people great relief from their pain. Unfortunately they didn't work for me.

I receive Botox injections now in my back to kill some of the nerves that are over acting. They can really help to relax the muscles. It lasts approx 3 months.then the nerves grow back.  So I go every three months and have injections from my neck, shoulders, and low back. I've been quite happy with the results.

I still live with chronic pain, but that is because I have spondylolisthesis and spina bifida occulta, I have had 2 surgeries. One to stop me from becoming paralyzed from the waist down. And the second to remove the huge amount of scar tissue and remove the rods and screws. I would only have the surgery if it is really going to help, and it isn't an experiment to see if it will help your situation. I really regret having my second surgery, it left me very weak.

that was almost 3 years ago, my back muscles are still extremely weak. Probably from being cut open, in the same place twice?
But I can't change the past, and must move forward, and try to make my body and mind stronger.

Good luck with your decision. But to keep things in perspective, nerve blocks are performed daily in pain clinics. Go to a specialist, and you should be fine.

Are you really just scared of needles?

Take care, Sue
No, I am not scarred of needles. When they find that it parasthesia, they just say there is not treatment . My son in law, and his father are neurologist. They also said there is not treatment. In fact it is not pain, but it is sensation of tightness. I can move all parts of my legs.
In fact I have to tolerate tinnitus( ringing in the ears), Tightness of feet,  excessive urination frequency(disturbing early morning sleep) This 3 things are permanent.Because of treatment failure, I am trying for holistic therapy. As I am free from all household problems, I do not mind searching .This has become my hobby.Thanks.
Dalubaba commented on Rainbow
jimi1822 commented on photo
dominosarah commented on photo