Cymbalta?
Hello all,
At my last appt., my dr. gave me a list of meds that might help with the chronic nerve pain I suffer from due to multiple surgeries. As I posted before, I wanted to try starting with neurontin. I have also been looking into Cymbalta. My dr wants to explore other options other than just the opiate route to help with the pain, and I agree we should see what works for me. We are hoping that since the different types of medications work on different receptors of the brain, that we will reduce the need to increase the opiate if we find something else that works. Anyway...
Has anyone tried Cymbalta? If so, how did it work for you? Any side effects? Any experiences, good or bad, that you can share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!
Keri :)
p.s. an EXTREME turn off to the neurontin: dizzines- I already have a vertigo disorder, fatigue- I am in college with 2 young kids and need not be tired, and weight gain- I am at a healthy weight now and want to keep it that way. I am thinking Cymbalta might be the route to go. We'll see :)
I don't know anything about Cymbalta, but I hope that you find something that works!
I have had Cymbalta in the past. It did help somewhat with my pain, BUT I didn't like the side effects I had. When I was on it.... it's like I had ZERO emotions like no feelings.... like nothing will affect me to get me upset or crying - zombie. So, I didn't like it and stopped taking it. I never have liked anti-depressant meds anyway. I just don't trust anti-depressant meds that's all.... just me, ha.
Keep in mind that everyone reacts differently to all these types of meds.  I have Fibro and probable Lupus and just started Lyrica a week ago.  It works similarly.  I felt sedated the first couple of days but found if I take at 7:00 pm I am have more energy in the morning and it is getting better each day.  I do find a reduction in the pain and a feel like I can more easily deal with the pain that I do have.  I started a diet the same day as I started the Lyrica and so far am losing and am in control of my appetitie.  Good luck on finding something that works for you.
Hi Keri:

As Trudie has stated, the effects of certain drugs like Lyrica and Cymbalta are temporary and will subside within an couple of weeks, if not sooner.

There is weight gain with most anti-depressants so make sure that you get the drug facts before taking it.

I too take my anti-depressant at night. This ensures and good nights sleep (most of the time) and usually will not disrupt my day.

I wish you success as well. I hope this works.
My best,
Molly
My doctor tried to put me on it for my nerve pain... All it did was made me extremely sleepy.
about a year ago i decided to taper down from my 4 lortab to 3 a day next month, 2 a day for month, 1 then 1/2....my neighbor and i kinda fell into a conversation on pain b/c he broke his neck and i was telling him about my back problems (see profile for more info)....he mentioned that he and his wife take cymbalta and found that it helped with his pain and anxiety....that was when i decided to taper off narcotics and try this recommended route (cymbalta)....i read some of your posts and can certainly relate to your concerns for opiates...by the way I LOVE TUCKER'S POST ON THAT ISSUE...anyways...i did want to give it a whirl but i did have my doubts about an antidepressant/anxiety med relieving SEVERE-TYPE PAIN and another hesitations was having trouble believing this med helped my neighbors pain b/c he openly treats his pain and even in that same conversation says the only thing that helps his pain was his all day long pot use...but ofcourse he was just trying to help so i didn't want to ask "well, how do u know if cymbalta helps your pain if you stay really high morning til night"...anyways...the cymbalta did NOTHING for my pain...started at 30mg to eventually 90mg's for several months and no pain relief...side effects were NOT horrible so may be worth trying but i did often feel an upset stomach and mild but steady nauseous feeling when the dose was raised (a lot of anti-depresants/anxiety meds cause that)...more of annonance than anything else BUT I PERSONALLY CAN'T STAND NAUSEA ...again wasn't major nausea ...i too am raising kids...2 yr old twins..soooo always feeling icky and no pain relief decided to go back on opiates....i am much better and get enough pain relief to get thru daily grind with no side effects....i have had to give up tennis and golf and pace myself better with house work stuff...
sorry this is long-winded but i also wanted to kinda repond to some other things you wrote about in previous posts...also, sorry this is negative on cymbalta...the good news is during that 6-8 month process i educated myself more on back pain (among other treatments) meds and finally found peace of mind etc...along the lines of learning about addicted people verses legit pain people etc..etc...etc....i think you know what i'm getting at...lemme know if u have questions...otherwise, hope u find a better regimen.
Cymbalta is not all of it. I am on Morphine immediate. and time release also anxiety when needed. There is no rhyme or reason as to why this flares then nothing works. I did get past the zombie effects though, and with nerve pain emotions do flare it up so for me it is a good thing.
Bless,
tre123
I've been on Cymbalta for nerve pain.  Started at 30 mg. and now I take 60 mg. in the morning and 60 mg. in the evening.  I don't know that it's doing much, if anything, for the nerve pain.  I also had hoped it would help with depression and anxiety but I'm finding that I'm more depressed and anxious.  Sunflower, until you mentioned having zero feelings, I didn't even recognize that's where I'm at.  I've always been really emotional and big on "feeling my feelings."  I've always got teary eyed over sad stories or things with my kids.

A couple of weeks ago I was at a breakfast for my daughter who is graduating from high school.  There was so much presented that was so moving and so many moms were crying.  Me?  Nothing.  Even my daughter noticed and mentioned it to me later.

I tried Neurontin about a year ago and couldn't take it.  The side effects were really bad for me.  I gained 15 pounds in about 2.5 weeks.  I also felt like I was in a fog.  It was hard to have a cohesive thought.  Then I tried the Lyrica.  I didn't have any real side effects on it but I also didn't get any real benefit from it.

Everyone is different, though, and some people have had great success with Cymbalta.  It's so frustrating to keep searching for the right medication or combination of meds to help with chronic pain. I'm on a large dosage of oxycodone, though it doesn't help much with the nerve pain but does help with the other pain.  I've also tried various procedures with varying results.

Where exactly is your pain?  There may be some topical things to try as well.

Best of luck.
cymbalta definitely provides no relief for me. Nothing does, i just get more tired and more frustrated. I take neurontin 600 mg 3x a day, lortab 10 mg 2x a day, 90mg of cymbalta, which i started out on alone, and clonzapam 1mg, 1 a day, seems like a lot of meds, but does not control pain. I have bulging discs from L1-L5,PINCHED NERVE, SCIATIC NERVE DAMAGE IN RIGHT LEG, WALKING WITH THAT WONDERFUL LIMP. No one understands my pain. I know pain clinics are frowned upon, but the pain is moving up to my upper back, like on fire, making my neck stiff and now i have migraines,Constantly. Physical therapy just excruciatingly hurts, do not even want to go. Have been diagnosed with degenerative disc disease and like many others i have been told i should not be in so much pain. It has ruined my life. Thinking of ditching physical therapy,leaving family doc, and going to a pain clinic. Desperate to go back to work, do not want to lose my home. Any advice?
I have lupus&currently on cymbalta 30mg and my pains r still horrible uggghh to the point I can hardly walk..so the dr. up the dosage to 3 x.s daily...has anyone takin that much&will it help:-(
You must join this user group in order to participate in this discussion.
specialmom Woot woot. Tournament cha... Comment
1 hr ago
Kirstie_MHModerator Survey link - https://goo.g... Comment
Jun 25
breezytoo I have the special K virus ... Comment
Jun 23