278?1253665060
The Chronic Pain Couch User Group
Did you know that yoga can be a huge "toolkit" of pain relief...
About This Group:

This is a great site for anyone suffering from Chronic Pain or has a Family member or Friend who suffers. A place where you can tell your story, find others with similar conditions or pain, help someone in need, read up on the latest Chronic Pain treatments or simply sit for a while. Chronic Pain as we all know can be debilitating and relentless. It is not prejudice in any way, shape, or form. It can strike without warning and stay for life. The Chronic Pain Couch is a place designed for your comfort, and please note.. You don't have to suffer from chronic Pain to be a part of this community, we offer a variety of other topics as well. I truly hope that you will come and join us. And remember, there is never a need to worry whether or not your post has been read, a member or myself (Molly) are generally available to read and respond to all posts that come our way...... We are always here for you. Together We CAN Make A Difference in each others lives and how we manage day to day in coping with our relentless pain. Warmest regards, Mollyrae, founder of The Chronic Pain Couch.

Founded by Mollyrae on September 22, 2009
780 members

Did you know that yoga can be a huge "toolkit" of pain relief and is not a religion?

Do you know that yoga has been used by all religions (currently the christian community is adopting or reintroducing yoga to the members) with  great results!
i will soon be back with a little more on this subject as many misunderstand exactly what it means when we say yoga and why christians are getting comfortable saying things like namaste and om HA!---
     Hail marys and our fathers are chants--hey remember the cd called chants went to the top!  The jesus prayer is a beautiful meditation often done during monk's walking practice.  There is the practice of the holy breath---and more and more similarities between diff religions.  The goal of all being to live from that feeling of holiness---that christ consciousness--that inner silence (perhaps of the humanists)--that nirvana of the east!--and on and on.. All ending up the same place at the top of the mountain where the view is the same and where all the diff paths lead.  Yes Yes Yes   omhome
some science and evidence that yoga relieves pain effectively (plus much more) in a healthy way coming soon to a MH thread near you .  Love Love Love   om
you know i think many folks don't understand that yoga was a primary practice of the early christians and many in other countries use it now.
The catholics just recently (in slow religious time) stopped chanting in latin and still use mudra in services----and mantra! Any christians out there interested?   Omhome
Oh to try yoga again. When I first started having problems with my back, I investigated a Pilates program and after much research, found one that I like and found it beneficial. Then I got brave and tried a yoga program for beginners BUT I do not have the balance to maintain the yoga program. I was a gymnastic major in high school and practiced yoga to maintain the muscles. I was getting pretty good at it and this also helped with my dancing days. Oh the good old days. That was many years ago.
My health has taken an up and down swing over time with each operation and procedure. I managed to go back to the Pilates for a short time but still cannot do the yoga because of balance problems. This is very frustrating when you think you are doing so well and find there are limits. It is going to be another couple of months ( I mean at least 6 months before I try yoga again) but at least the Pilates is helping. Wish I could go back to the yoga. All the chanting (I am not a chanter), does is distract from the mental focus (for me). I sound like a frog in heat. Afterwards, I sound like a cat who has been in a fight when I feel the pain set in. By the end of the day, I sound like a moose who is looking for a mate.
No one wants to hear my mantra after I have tried to do yoga, at then end of the day. I am aiming to be a contestant on America's Funniest Videos doing yoga at age 60 with the sound effect that sound like Bigfoot is in the neighborhood.
i think you should video it with all the chanting sounds (i want to hear it) and post it on you tube---it would go double-viral madman i swear!  Thanks for that imagery..om
What a thought...? Going viral because of the noises I make...? If anyone saw this and thought physical therapy was a help, seeing me make all these noises might scare them and they may respond that I need surgery or a psychiatrist. Not so sure I want to see me in all those positions making noises and going viral but it is a thought. Will think it over.
Yoga and Pillates are almost similar. One who can do pillate can also do yoga. Sometimes it is difficult distinguish between pillates and yoga.Both concentrates on breathing and spinal column. As an individual, we do not need to do all yoga postures, kriya or other modalities. we select as per our needs.
For chronic couch, we can select finger mudras. There are 36 therapeutic mudrras, whiny can be done even lying in a bed.very scant attention is given to this powerful therapeutic tool.
There are plethora of websites on yoga,pillates, taoist yoga,arhart yoga, kundalini yoga(channeling sexual energy),and acupuncture and acupressure.
I have found Yoga a little more challenging. Yoga requires some balance which I have not developed to some extent as yet. I did Yoga when I was younger and hope one day to return but no just yet. My balancing problems require a little bit more training. Just getting my muscles built up before I more on. Walking has been a saving grace for me. Doing better and walking more each day. Maybe one day....but there is a difference.
Yes walking is a great exercise. One can add few techniques in walking. One can walk backward also. In walking backeard we use different muscle. This make it a complete exercise. You may develop certain breathing pattern. which serve as pranayam of yoga. Start walking slowly to warm up, second stage should be faster and third stage should be again slower-cooling down slowly.Budha use to do walking meditation. You choose an object of concentration-some part of your body- and continue concentrating on it while walking. There are few exercises are also suggested for warming up.You may find this in a website.Best of luck.
I am working on it. I do the exercises you mentioned and I do feel it when I am rested at home. I take Tizanidine 2mg for my back pain which I am sure is due to posture problems. Although this medication makes me sleep, when I wake up, the muscle pain in my upper back is gone and most of the other pain in my legs is relaxed. This is the only medication I take for pain.
The walking exercises I do are helping. I do feel more muscle build up in my legs and although it is rough at times, I definitely see an improvement. I get acupuncture treatments for my upper back once a month or so but I have been getting these treatments for my back but the pain is still there. If I could get this upper back pain (just below my shoulder blades) under control, I really would be doing a lot better. I do concentrate on posture but nothing seems to be helping. Any advise here?
Balance is getting a little better but I still have a long way to go before I go back to yoga. When I was a gymnastic major (in my youth), I practiced Yoga daily and it helped develop muscle and state of mind.
For now, the walking exercises is stimulating enough for me. Being able to do this today, is a real challenge but I am accomplishing a lot. I took a break from the Pilate and enjoy the walking exercises. Building up muscle that I haven't used in years is a real focus with understanding that this may take a while. Damned that balance problem but I am still working on it. (Sometimes I look like a drunk trying to focus on the walking exercises but I don't worry about how I look in public) If anyone knew my medical history they would understand.
No one recognizes me now without my wheelchair and flags that I proudly displayed down the beach. Now I am just another body exercising. Well that's the latest.....
Wayne Dyer has an awesome YouTube about meditation where you do deep breathing and then let all the breath out and the noise that comes out with your AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHM is just awesome...The first time I did it my animals ran and hid and my roomies thought I was dying....From what I understand is that the sound of the chanting, or the Ahhhhhhhmmmmmmm is the noise of the universe and will be recognized by the universe.  The Tibetan Monks have very very deep voices and their chanting is very healing and soothing to many people...

Not sure if you are able to use YouTube, but it is worth checking it out..

Have a wonderful day

M
especially all the stuff on the sidebars---follow that trail to some amazing videos. Wow.  The Power of Chanting Om or   AUM---deep as ya can--rattle the neurons--vibrate with the cosmos!  BE>         om
also deva premal WOW   sheila chandra  Wow.      osho is there too dalubaba---and the side bars are an adventure for sure.  thanks you tube!  om
I use to go to the Public library and get tapes and cd's but the going and getting them and then the returning them on time, LOL, put me off that for sure....

Then I discovered YouTube and have made some of my folders public and some are private.  I use my Private Folders for meditation in front of my SAD lights , and today while culling doubles and Tubes that no longer interest me, my YouTube account says I have 66 hours of meditation
Tubes in my main Private Folder....I was just thinking that in case of a horrible snow storm, I have enough Private Stock to keep me meditating
for 3 days....That is just wonderful....

I was an avid Yoga student before my last back surgery.  The first 3 back surgeries did not involve any rods or screws so I was able to continue my Yoga after a decent time had passed for surgical recovery.  Now with the rods in my back, my Yoga has fallen by the wayside.  And I miss it tremendously...

Today I was thinking about my Yoga practice and decided that I would do mind yoga.  I imagine myself getting into position and then doing my exercises including the breathing I did while in my poses.  I still remember the total peace I had when in fetal position, not sure of the correct name for the position,
but you get on the mat and curl up with your head tucked into your solar plexus area and your legs behind your head.  It was and is my favorite position and hopefully my mind Yoga will bring me as much happiness as did the full body Yoga....

I don't know anything about religion and Yoga, not sure why a religion would care about what you do or don't do with a form of exercise that you choose to partake in...I was an aerobics instructor and student and never heard of religion caring that I enjoyed that form of exercise either...

I think Yoga is not utilized by the majority because it looks difficult to learn and difficult to continue....Which is totally not true, once you get into the groove of the Yoga moves it is very easy to move onto more and more complex poses and positions...

I am also looking into Tai chi now that I am not physically doing Yoga.  It really appeals to me and am checking out the YMCA in my area for classes and support.

Take care and have a wonderful evening....See you soon

M
it is called Child's Pose  Balasana in some circles.
Tai Chi a perfect choice.
Mind Yoga is the whole point anyway---physical postures prepare the way but aren't necessary. Imagination very powerful.
Spiritual is the answer to personal and societal problems.
I wish more folks would discover that.
Wonderful to hear your inspiration---thank you for sharing.    omhomr
child's pose is recommended for pregnancy in place of corpse pose---also student's with back--or neck--or----can do so too,. For some it is painful to just lie flat!~
    Yoga---or the spiritual practice---is a science and an art.  As art you practice and familiarize yourself with diff techniques and then you create your own practice from that classical bkground.  Like learning piano---or painting--etc. The same process.   Many skip learning the basics----i don't suggest it.
      Remember that the meditative goal is not to fall asleep (people actually snore during savasana at the end)  The Goal is to Fall Awake!  Kaboom! There you are.---Right where you have always been. Ha!
        Fall Awake today!            shanti      omhome
did osho give you the name dalubaba and what is a dalu or the meaning---i know you are a baba---perhaps family name???
I found the pose that I love the most, it is called plowing/Halasana and is a variation of the Plow.  I have posted a photo of it in my journal, and on line to use as a visual during my mind yoga....

M
yes it is Halasan. It appears like a plow .Hal is a plow. Sarvangasan  - a shoulder stand is usually done form halasan. and then child pose(Balasa) is done.
For each posture, one chakra is specific. While doing one posture one concentrate on one chakra. IN Balasan we concentrate on manipur(Belly Button Chakra). In shoulder stand chakra we concentate on throat chakra. This part is usually avoided.Main aim should be do strengthen chakras with related body plexuses.
Osho gave names to his sanyasi. I did not become his sanyasi. My name is Dalsukh. Dal menans body and sukh means happiness. So this may mean bodily happiness.
Dalu is abriviated from Dalsukh.'Baba' is a funny word. It may mean a small child, may mean old man, may mean a hermit, It no negative flavor.......This dissection of my name.
thank you for sharing that dalubaba---i think a very good and auspicious name. Baba a beautiful word-----think of babaji!   om babaji---yogananda talked about babaji---the eternal old-man-hermit-child-yogi of the himalaya!  om
I visited your journal.This is halasan- plow posture. Fetal posture is Balasan.
Bal is baby. the posture in the womb is like balasan. It is a relaxing pose.
many of my students used balasana instead of corpse-pose---savasana---because it was not comfortable flat on their backs (perfect for pregnant folks)---and any neck issues avoid plow posture----low--supported very low shoulderstands are ok for most---not full because of the pressure on the neck-  the key is to listen to and obey your body-mind--it is smarter than you!!!!(had longer to learn during it's evolution.  Ha!   Hey you guys help me or us design a thread or forum or whatever it is----for those who do want options to meds and also if they have to have the meds for life then how to work with that successfully ----include all who want to be a part of our group.
    Breathe breathe breathe remember to breathe---primary nutrient---elixir---
     Life---Joy----Love-----yes       om
Yes Balasan (child pose) is resting pose. It has also advantage of forward band . The posture shown in the journal of M is halasan. It is difficult posture. I could do it when i was teen. I do Balasan every day.
Yes Balasan (child pose) is resting pose. It has also advantage of forward band . The posture shown in the journal of M is halasan. It is difficult posture. I could do it when i was teen. I do Balasan every day.It is my favorite pose.
Mind yoga. I used to visualize doing yoga mentally. This serves as a meditation and some health benefit as well. Our subconscious mind do not distinguish between real and unreal. So if it visualization, it takes as real and does act accordingly managing body's mechanism.
I picked up 6 postures to be done before sleeping. I did it for 2 days. Then I found that it was inconvenient because of less gap between sleeping and dinner. So I thought of doing mind yoga.
yes your practice follows the pattern of our evolution as first body(asana)----then the slow development of mind (meditation)----and finally the spirit(samadhi-absorbtion)---and then- with our lives as they evolve(being now capable of true karma yoga). The result will be a balanced body-mind-spirit!!    omhome
breezytoo commented on yets
nursegirl6572 commented on nursegirl6572's status
nursegirl6572 "It's never too late to be ... Comment