278?1253665060
The Chronic Pain Couch User Group
FDA Approves New Formula Of Oxycontin.....
About This Group:

This is a great site for anyone suffering from Chronic Pain or has a Family member or Friend who suffers. A place where you can tell your story, find others with similar conditions or pain, help someone in need, read up on the latest Chronic Pain treatments or simply sit for a while. Chronic Pain as we all know can be debilitating and relentless. It is not prejudice in any way, shape, or form. It can strike without warning and stay for life. The Chronic Pain Couch is a place designed for your comfort, and please note.. You don't have to suffer from chronic Pain to be a part of this community, we offer a variety of other topics as well. I truly hope that you will come and join us. And remember, there is never a need to worry whether or not your post has been read, a member or myself (Molly) are generally available to read and respond to all posts that come our way...... We are always here for you. Together We CAN Make A Difference in each others lives and how we manage day to day in coping with our relentless pain. Warmest regards, Mollyrae, founder of The Chronic Pain Couch.

Founded by Mollyrae on September 22, 2009
774 members

Hi All.....

As most of you know, OxyContin is the controlled- or extended-release version of the opioid medication oxycodone.  It is prescribed for patients who need round-the-clock treatment for moderate to severe chronic pain.  Controlled-release medications work by slowly releasing the medication over a long period of time (usually 12 hours), which provides more steady pain relief than immediate-release medications that have to be taken every four to six hours.  

Extended-release opioids like OxyContin have been popular with drug abusers because they can crush or disolve them, which basically by-passes the slow-release function of the medication and releases all of the drug at once.  This reformulated version of OxyContin is intended to prevent immediate access to the full dose of oxycodone via cutting, chewing, or breaking the tablet. Attempts to dissolve the tablets in liquid result in a gummy substance that cannot be drawn up into a syringe or injected.

It is hoped that this new forumulation of OxyContin will reduce the likelihood that the drug will be misused and abused, although the FDA stresses that it cannot completely eliminate this possibility.  Purdue Pharma LP, the manufacturer of OxyContin, will be conducting a post-marketing study to determine the impact of the new formulation on the use and misuse of OxyContin.

The FDA is also requiring a REMS (Risk Evaluation and Mitigation Strategy) that will include the issuance of a Medication Guide to patients and a requirement for prescriber education regarding the appropriate use of opioid analgesics in the treatment of pain.

My Best,
Molly

interesting, thanks for sharing that...makes me wonder just WHAT are they adding to it now to change the formulation and especially to make it go gummy??....some other additive to our systems...
I agree, I'd like to know more about it too.
Hopefully it will work as well.  However, it sounds like it will be more expensive.  That is not a good thing.  My insurance is already sending me letters to try different medicines because they do not want to pay for the high priced meds I have.  ugh.
Hi RunningMom:

Yes, they may be more expensive but what is great is that this will definitly make the drug abusers have a more difficult time trying to abuse them.

They won't be able to smoke, chew or inject the drug. Kudo's to the drug companies!!
Molly

I too had recieved a letter from my insurance company telling me to try other meds similar to OxyContin, that they will be raising the Co-pay for it, of course, they try to soften the blow by saying they are looking out for my best interest, and trying to keep my costs down, but how do they know what's best fo me?!!  Drug abusers are still going to find a way, if they really want to abuse the drug, they will, weather or not the drug companies change the formula! all that does is make it more difficult an expensive for the people who really need it to get!
nursegirl6572 commented on Derealization and Dep...
Lev1Fagan commented on Derealization and Dep...
Sep 18
nursegirl6572 "Patience is the calm accep... Comment
Sep 16