278?1253665060
The Chronic Pain Couch User Group
Foods that can help with pain and inflammation?
About This Group:

This is a great site for anyone suffering from Chronic Pain or has a Family member or Friend who suffers. A place where you can tell your story, find others with similar conditions or pain, help someone in need, read up on the latest Chronic Pain treatments or simply sit for a while. Chronic Pain as we all know can be debilitating and relentless. It is not prejudice in any way, shape, or form. It can strike without warning and stay for life. The Chronic Pain Couch is a place designed for your comfort, and please note.. You don't have to suffer from chronic Pain to be a part of this community, we offer a variety of other topics as well. I truly hope that you will come and join us. And remember, there is never a need to worry whether or not your post has been read, a member or myself (Molly) are generally available to read and respond to all posts that come our way...... We are always here for you. Together We CAN Make A Difference in each others lives and how we manage day to day in coping with our relentless pain. Warmest regards, Mollyrae, founder of The Chronic Pain Couch.

Founded by Mollyrae on September 22, 2009
780 members

Happy New Year to everyone on the couch :)
First I will ask my question.  Since I am going to start dieting again, now the holiday chocolate binge is over, I would like to get everyones opinion on foods that heal?
If you know of any food, or even a good supplement that has helped you with pain or inflammation, will you please share your information with me?
My pain levels are up right now, and I am at my maximum with Tramadol.
Unfortunately I fell on the icy driveway on New Years Day!  And I am having a hard time getting back to my normal routines.  I also feel trapped inside the house and scared to go outside, i am worried about falling again.
Any help would be appreciated, Sue
Tags: Pain
just now able to post so soon i will have something for you sue---i know cayenne is effective. Glad to hear from you---why isn't anybody else posting? om
i think the cayenne boosts endorphins----and you take in capsules now----not just sprinkled on mexican food! Although mexican food does relieve pain for me---well for a few moments---cold beer---beach---sun---ok dreaming (meditating) here--  yep just in my mind---- but that is where it all happens anyway----so  cayenne!  omhome   madman   dalubaba  margypops anybody??Are ya out there?
I have had flu guys for the last week and still not up to par but def better than I was..yes I know a lot about this so does Dalubaba ...natural news.com is the place to take a look, many herbs , spices and supplements to help you ..I swear by turmeric although it has helped with this last sickness. they are calling it a 'flu like sickness' whatever that means ..
I meant has'nt helped 'with this last sickness...still not functioning well .
(NaturalNews) Along with all the holiday festivities and togetherness come equal exposure to stress and sickness. Demands on our time, our pocketbook and yes, even our waistline. In the name of celebration, many people succumb this time of year to eating fewer nutritious foods and more junk foods. And when the body must dedicate its precious resources to breaking down those ingested toxins, is it really any wonder that it becomes more vulnerable to attack?

Though Natural News readers are likely already better armed than most with the nutritional education necessary to protect against cold and flu so prevalent this time of year - and without the need for dangerous flu shots - should you find yourself wanting a little extra immune support, look no further than those provided by nature in its infinite wisdom.

Garlic
Say what you will about "garlic breath," but the property responsible for that infamously strong odor (allicin) is the very same one that makes garlic so effective at fighting off harmful bacteria (like strep and staph) and fungi; plus, fresh garlic has demonstrated anti-viral properties as well. Garlic is rich in antioxidants and selenium and helpful in clearing mucous from the lungs, making it particularly useful in treating upper respiratory infections. If you enjoy garlic and onion together, don't be shy about a pairing, as both contain sulfur-bearing compounds which make them excellent at strengthening the immune system and supporting white cell function.

Carrots
Carrots are natural infection-fighters. Packed with beta carotene and other carotenoids, this root vegetable supports the immune system by helping to increase the body's production of natural killer (NK) cells and T-cells, which the body requires to defend against infectious disease and foreign invaders. Drinking your carrots, in the form of fresh juice, may actually increase your uptake of beta carotene. If you're suffering from a cough, carrot juice can help to prevent the vitamin A deficiency that might be compromising your airways.

Ginger
In addition to its already well-known effects on symptoms of cold and flu, like soothing achy muscles and calming digestion, ginger assists the body to kill the influenza virus and also supports the immune system in fighting infection, according to Chinese and Indian studies. It's also relatively easy to incorporate into the diet. You can include it in your cooking, as part of the meal or as a sauce, or you can add it to hot water for a relaxing, ginger tea experience.

Manuka honey
Produced from the pollen of New Zealand's Manuka tree or bush, this very special honey is renowned for its anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial properties which help to fight the bacteria that causes colds. It contains more vitamins, minerals, amino acids and antioxidants than other honeys and is particularly good at soothing and healing sore throats. Some hospital wards now are even using Manuka honey to guard against certain antibiotic-resistant bacterial strains that can lead to life-threatening conditions like MRSA and VRE. Look for it in health foods stores.

Flaxseed oil
Rich in Omega-3 fatty acids, flaxseed oil supports immune system function by boosting the activity of bacteria-eating white blood cells known as phagocytes. It also enhances the body's ability to absorb minerals, helping to ensure we're better protected when the next unfriendly bacteria or virus rears its ugly head. Just one to three teaspoons of flaxseed oil can power up your next smoothie.

Also very beneficial to immune function is eating plenty of foods rich in vitamin C (broccoli, citrus fruits) and being sure to get plenty of vitamin D (sardines, sunlight, live-culture yogurt, D3 supplemental support). Vitamin C increases antibody and infection-fighting cell production, while vitamin D decreases the risk of catching the "bug" altogether.

It's important to keep in mind that no one thing alone can create the delicate balance necessary for the body to achieve maximum health. Health, or the lack thereof, is in part a result of the accumulation of a person's daily habits. Best practices include a diet rich in essential vitamins and minerals, regular activity, adequate rest and plenty of clean water. In this sense, a healthy lifestyle remains the best defense against cold and flu season.

Sources for this article include:

http://www.mindbodygreen.com

http://www.huffingtonpost.com

http://voices.yahoo.com

http://altmedicine.about.com

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/038585_winter_rescue_remedies_healthy.html#ixzz2HPqvpYmy
oh Lordy sorry it was so long ....
Thank you so much for the information.  I am going to print in out so I have time to digest it all.  lol  And thanks for passing on the web site, I am definitely interested in learning about some healthy remedies.

I hope you are feeling better from your flu, I actually finally got a flu shot today since everyone around me is getting sick.  Hopefully I can stay healthy and just deal with my chronic pain.  When I get sick with a sinus infection or flu, It takes me forever to get better and I usually end up with an infection and need antibiotics.

I also wanted to go to the mall, but I was in too much pain, so I am back home.  I really miss being able to shop by myself. I need help with my wheelchair and stores are not very wheelchair friendly. I think this year I am going to start posting about wheelchair friendly stores, and stores that offer electric scooters, automatic doors etc.

Take care,
Sue
That's a good idea google for chair friendly stores..you know I thought most were now adays ..if not they should be ..I am feeling a bit better today and the sun is really warm which always helps .
it is not food but acupuncture is very effective for pain!  For dieting!   For so many things i now recommend it to all my students and clients.  Now that it can be studied by scientists and university hospitals etc. the evidence is over-whelming! It Works!   And finally insurance will pay for it.   Folks---even the ama is coming around.  So acupuncture--pressure. Yoga also now studied with the same positive results and not necessarily the physical part but more importantly the meditative part and the breathwork! Which some of us (i am  hoping) are Doing right now!  Hi everybody and i am glad to be back and able to post.  Do you want more of the meditative stuff?  And dalubaba where are you? Swimming in the Ganges?  Hanging in Himalaya Land? Omhome.
i use for pain and preventative:::::  garlic for sure and grow it (so easy and so good fresh) and use it a lot----don't worry the odor! Learn to love it.
     Ginger is just awesome in  ale! or as a brew or candy or--my god so many ways and so effective.
    I use to do ginseng and  when i find a source of the real root (more the royal-burgundy type) probably will again----ya gotta be a little careful with it.
     cayenne i mentioned and it just works like crazy---i am addicted!  once you are used to it it even makes everything taste more flavorful.
There's more but enough for now.   omhome
yes  I am hanging and trying detox Ganges. I was to write 13 points as formula for happy life. Unfortunately the page I had kept disappeared. I am trying to get the copy.
I will try to recollect as many points as possible and briefly narrate them.
Yesterday went to purchase meds -my sleeping pills and Bp Drigs.When I reach home, I found my tablets missing. I further explored my pant pocket and founf a big hole.  I did try to search near the shop, but could not find it There was excessive called and I remain out for a long time causing severe common cold . So I am still in the hangover.I was lucky that I did not keep any thing more important in me pocket.
I am sorry you lost your medication.  My husband did that with the rent money a long time ago, he had a hole in his pocket too!

It seems like everyone around the world has a cold or the flu right now.
On a totally different topic, my younger son was bitten by a dog on Monday.  He picks up clothing donations from homes for the Kidney Foundation.  He went to a home and a dog was barking and bit his leg!  He had to go to the hospital, and he waited for 6 hours because it was overcrowded with patients with the flu.
Hopefully he doesn't get the flu too.  

I would like to thank you all for your kindness and advice.  I will have to pick up some good spices this week and have some fun cooking.
And I am looking forward to your 13 point plan for a Happy Life,  I think you could publish and get rich too Dalubaba :)

Take care, Sue
yep---rich dalubaba. he will share it with us sue i am certain. but just us---nobody else dalubaba unless they post in by midnight!!!  greedy little omhome
i think this is a very useful important and effective thing to focus on so let's all try and keep the idea going ok? What do you eat--drink--breathe(aromatherapy)--smoke---do---for your body-mind to help with the pain? om
breezytoo commented on yets
nursegirl6572 commented on nursegirl6572's status
nursegirl6572 "It's never too late to be ... Comment