278?1253665060
The Chronic Pain Couch User Group
How do I talk to my doctor about not working anymore?
About This Group:

This is a great site for anyone suffering from Chronic Pain or has a Family member or Friend who suffers. A place where you can read up on the latest information on chronic pain, tell your story, post any information you'd like to relay, or just come to simply sit for a while. Chronic Pain as we all know can be debilitating and relentless. It is not prejudice in any way, shape, or form. It can strike without warning and stay for life. The Chronic Pain Couch is a place designed for your comfort, and please note.. You don't have to suffer from chronic Pain to be a part of this community, we offer a variety of other topics as well. I truly hope that you will come and join us. And remember, there is never a need to worry whether or not your post is heard, we always hear and respond...... We are always here for you. Together We CAN Make A Difference in each others lives and how we manage to cope with our pain from day to day! Warmest regards, Mollyrae, founder of The Chronic Pain Couch.

Founded by Mollyrae on September 22, 2009
747 members

I had shingles approximately 10 years ago and for the first 2 years tried everything known to man to help with the pain.  Finally after nerve blocks, accupuncture, osteopathic spinal manipulations and epidural nerve blocks failed to produce long term pain relief, I consented to having a Medtronic Interthecial Pump implanted in my abdomen that puts a combination of morphine/clonidine to those nerves continously. I still have to take 50mg of Lyrica daily and I keep oral pain medication on hand for the break through pain.  I also have an epidural nerve block done about one time a year.  In combination all of these things work pretty well to control the pain, but there are certainly side effects to deal with.  I stay terribly sleepy and am extremely forgetful.  Thankfully  I live close to work because I fell asleep driving on the interstate one day and I am just not willing to take that chance again.  And, when the breaktrhough pain hits, it hits bad.  Fortunately, I have an awesome employer who understands when I can't work because of the intensity of the pain or when I can't stay awake at my desk.  Nonetheless, it is getting harder by the day to keep up the pace.  Some days I think how nice it would be if I could just stay in bed.  I don't feel that I am giving my employer what he is paying me for.  I am in management in my company and have a ton of responsibility.  They have been so good to me, I don't want to lte them down.  At the same time, I an not independently wealthy and my paycheck is a vital part of our income.  Accordingly, for me to stop working, I would have to file for long term disability through my employer paid insurance and SSDI.  I just don't know how to talk to my dr about not working.  Sometimes, I feel that I am the exception rather than the norm in that I do still work 40-44 hours a week.  Despite the fact that I have worked with this problem for the last 10 years, I still am concerned that my pm dr will think that I am just using my infirmity to stay at home and still get a paycheck.  Have any of you experienced these feelings or perhaps broached the subject with your pm dr?  Most days I feel its time to throw in the towell, but am scared to death to do that.  I'm eager to hear your thoughts.
Hello, I am not a doctor and have no reference for the pump or pain relief you are on.

I worked up to 3 years ago until I could no longer walk and my employer told me that if I couldn't get better in 3 weeks, I would be fired or permanently laid off.  My employer had no imput with the Fed government to determine if I would get disability...Your surgeon or family doctor will be filling out all the paperwork, they may ask your employer if you worked there, but all medical disability goes through the medical community.

Unless things have changed in the disability department, this was just my experience.  I do wish you the very best in moving forward in your Life...

M
Thank you for your input.  I have a wonderful employer who is also a close personal friend which is one of the reasons I am thinking it is time to do something different.  I just don't feel I am doing the job I am being paid for.  It is now 9:00 am and I have been at work since 7:00 am and have sat at my desk and slept those 2 hours because it takes me that long to even get awake regardless of the time I go to bed.  I just don't know how to broach the subject with my doctor.  I would like to think that the fact that I have worked for 10 years with the pain and 8 of those with the pump would speak for itself, I am just afraid my dr will think I am using him to get out of work.  I have an appt on Tuesday and really do feel its time to broach the subject with him.  Have a blessed day.
part-time?  For a while. Then disability? Wish i could help more. Om
specialmom, and nursegirl6572 commented on nursegirl6572's status
specialmom Little League Opening Day!... Comment
nursegirl6572 HAAPY EASTER to my MH famil... Comment