How honest to be with PM Dr upon first visit?
Hello all I am happy to be here! I have a problem and hope to get some answers. Years ago when I was 25 I was addicted to Norco pain pills and went Dr shopping the whole 9 yards. I went thru rehab to get off them because the physical addiction was too much. I have been great since then. However now I have a really big problem. I have diabetic nueropathy in both feet and it is now in my left hand. I hear the stories about pain docs pulling controlled substance history. When I was in rehab I called my Dr's office and pharmacy and advised I was an addict and not to prescribe pain meds to me anymore. Is this history available to the Dr and what will he think?

I am now in serious pain and need these meds and stronger. I have had this for years and have done great damage to my nerves through uncontrolled diabetes. I dare not aduse pills again because I NEED them to even function. I do have a strong tolerance to pain meds because of previous abuse. I want to be honest with my Dr so he can help me. However as we all know in life circumstances this is not ALWAYS the best approach unfortunately. Does anyone have a suggestion. I have never been to PM before and I am so scared now hearing all of these stories. I am in such great pain and I feel as if I am being consumed by the pain and I am becoming very depressed. I feel so lost to know I will never get better. I forget how it feels to wake up or even sleep without pain. I am up and down at all hours and always hurting and so desperate for help!! I feel sometimes that my life is not worth living and that I am getting to the very end of my rope...I cry as I write this because the worst part is that I did this to myself by not controlling my diabetes and abusing what now is my only relief. Pain is my world now and I may have destroyed the ony way to get beyond it by my previous abuse of pills. Is there any hope for me? Please forgive my maudlin story I know all of u have these same issues in one way or another so I hope u may have good answers to send my way! All of my prayers are with each and every one of you!  
Hi there toomuch and WOW!  I'm SO SORRY to read of your pain issues:-(  I do not have a good answer for you as I've had problems recently with the PM doc I was seeing and had to change.  GEEZE!!!!!  I DO understand your hesitancy and I believe it is your decision to reveal your past history or not. I do know that it is important for the doc to be aware of the meds and different vitamins etc. you take b/c they tend to react differently to each other but...YOUR PAST, well unless you give the doctor information of some sort and permission, there is the Privacy Act now that is pretty protective of your medical history unless you give written permission otherwise.  I hope and pray for your much needed relief of pain. Keep us posted and please write again.  Also, Monday nights at 7pm CST there is an Open Discussion about all kinds of things different ones of the group share. Hope to read/write with you again then.  Wishing you a HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY. Julie "paintired"
Hello Toomuchpain and welcome to the Couch. I'm delighted that you've trusted us enough to try and help.

Your best approch to this problem is to be totally honest. Tell the Doctor about your past history and explain that at that time, you were in a different place. You did not have the pain then but now realize that these types of meds are here to help you nad your in dire need of relief.

There are meds out there that you cannot abuse. Narcotics that are tamper proof. You might want to bring this approach up to the Doctor.

One of the Meds that are impossible to abuse is the TEVA Fentanyl Patch. A low dose might be your answer to your pain.

Another option would be to go to a Methadone clinic for daily treatment. You will not get to bring your meds home and this way cannot abuse.

I urge you to join our weekly chat every Monday night @ 7pm Central time. The address is listed in the very first post you see.

I wish I had better advise for you. Who knows, maybe someone else will have something to offer.

Again, welcome.
Molly

You must join this user group in order to participate in this discussion.
Sonyaxo commented on MY cuz
Dec 05
drifter0213 commented on MY cuz
Dec 04
Derekcarter commented on Derealization and Dep...
Nov 30