278?1253665060
The Chronic Pain Couch User Group
Husband in acute pain ,don't know how to help at wits end !!
About This Group:

This is a great site for anyone suffering from Chronic Pain or has a Family member or Friend who suffers. A place where you can tell your story, find others with similar conditions or pain, help someone in need, read up on the latest Chronic Pain treatments or simply sit for a while. Chronic Pain as we all know can be debilitating and relentless. It is not prejudice in any way, shape, or form. It can strike without warning and stay for life. The Chronic Pain Couch is a place designed for your comfort, and please note.. You don't have to suffer from chronic Pain to be a part of this community, we offer a variety of other topics as well. I truly hope that you will come and join us. And remember, there is never a need to worry whether or not your post has been read, a member or myself (Molly) are generally available to read and respond to all posts that come our way...... We are always here for you. Together We CAN Make A Difference in each others lives and how we manage day to day in coping with our relentless pain. Warmest regards, Mollyrae, founder of The Chronic Pain Couch.

Founded by Mollyrae on September 22, 2009
788 members

Hi everyone I am so sorry to hear that you are suffering and wish I could give you all a hug.My Husband had a bad car crash (they patched him up as they gave him 12 hours to live)his femur was broken in several places and they attempted to plate it to hold it together,the brake caused an embolism so they were more interested in keeping him alive than his mobility,unfortunately this has caused him major trouble now,turn out a third of his femur didn't heal, two of the vertebrae in his lumbar region have torn and are pressing on his sciatic nerve,his g.p. says nothing can be done,apart from losing weight,(he is overweight ,but as he can't move without severe pain ,how is he supposed to exercise) he has the same diet as me and I weigh 52kilos,so it isn't his diet,he hasn't offered any other advice,no strong meds as my husband drives for a living and the doc said if he prescribes strong pain relief it will impact on his driving,he won't give up work as he says he already feels inadequate not being able to walk,if he has to give up work he might as well not be here,can anyone suggest anything that might help him thanks for taking the time to read this god bless xx magikmiss
I'm so sorry for your husband.  I can't exercise either due to a damaged spinal cord in my neck.  It hurts very badly 24/7 and I will have unbearable pain if I get up and move around too much.  This pain will last for weeks.  I gained 30 pounds and I just now started the Dr. Oz ultimate breakfast smoothie.  It's a whey protien shake with fruit, flaxseed, chia seeds, fish oil, and wheat germ.  I replaced two meals with it.  It keeps me very full and I have no food cravings.  I've been doing this for a week now and I can already tell a difference.  This is the easiest diet I've tried yet.  I'm not sure of the results as it is very new to me.  You're suppose to lose 8 pounds a week, this includes cutting down dinner portions.

I can understand him not getting meds due to his job.  That is one thing stressed with us and taking narcotics and driving.  Being under the influnece and driving is a big no no with the law.  However, I have no altered feelings when taking my pain medicine.  I feel normal as if I'm taking ibuprofen or tylenol.  

If the disc is bad enough, it will most likely require surgery.  I had a spinal fusion last year and I'm looking for a surgeon now for my next fusion.  I can't handle sitting down and resting almost 24/7 along with the severe pain.  Your husband would benifit from a pain management specialist.  They can do steroid injections that may reduce the swelling of the discs and relieve the pressure off of the nerves.  
Hello and welcome to the Couch. I am very sorry to hear of your Husband accident. However, I'm glad that he survived. I van't imagine how he keeps a job like that...being in that much pain. Has he thought about disability? I realize that it's a far cry from a job but it may be better ofr him in the long run.

How are you coping with all of this? It can sometimes be hard to give the right kind of care and support that men need. I know that when my Husband becomes ill, he is hard to handle at times.

I would like to invite you to join our Monday night chat. The address is on the top of the page. You may find it a comfort.

My thoughts are with you. Keep us informed of what's going on.

My best,
Mollyrae
Hi Magikmiss,

I am so sorry to hear about your husband MVA. I am glad that her survived. I can relate. I too had a MVA and suffered injuries that the team of physicians said were not survivable. It was well over a month before I was truly out of the woods.

I assume that they treated your husband as they did me. They worked hard to safe my life and therefore some of the repairs were less than great. Had they know I would survive and be functional things would have been handled differently.  

I understand your husband not wanting to give up his career. But I promise you there are more important things in life that a career. Has he considered changing professions? I did and it keep my gainfully employed years longer. I did not take the narcotics on my drive to and from work. He might consider something for evening or night time pain. Tramadol is not considered a narcotic and it helps some ppl with pain. I don't know if this is a possibility for him or how it does or doesn't effect one's ability to drive. But he may want to discuss it with his physician.

I don't know if your country has Doctor's of Osteopathy. If so you might want to consider a consult with one that does osteopathic manipulations. It keeps me at a higher functioning level than I would be without the manipulations and it manages my pain to a better degree.

Acupuncture works for some ppl as does a TENS Unit. Has your husband tried either of those? I know how stubborn men can be. He may not consider any thing at this point. I know my husband probably would not. My husband's career is his life (besides I and his family of course) and I am sure that your husband feels the same.

My heart goes out to you and him. I hope the medical profession will be able to come up with something

Take Care,
~Tuck
Magikmiss,
So sorry for what you are going through.

As I am on meds for pain relief he really needs to go to a pain management dr. and a good one. There are more people functioning on pain management than you realize. They get you stabilized and on a cocktail of meds that work for each individual. They know best, it is what pain management Dr.'s are for. It is what they do. I am on Cymbalta for nerve pain Morphine time release and when it is over the top I have morphine immediate release. These do not make you high. It is about quality of life. It makes you be able to function.

I fear depression for him will worsen if he doesn't get help. My family doctor sent me in to mine and it was the best thing he could have ever done. Pain management is a science they specialize in it.

I drive and no one can tell I am on them. It does not make me goofy because there is a need for the relief.
God speed to a better frame of mind for you and yours
Tre123
Hi Molly , sometimes I wish I could just pick up the phone and chat with you. All of you for that matter!
Love and prayers to all.
tre123
breezytoo commented on Jade59's status
specialmom, and skepticalpeach commented on specialmom's status
skepticalpeach Merry Christmas! Comment