278?1253665060
The Chronic Pain Couch User Group
Hypnotherapy for pain management
About This Group:

This is a great site for anyone suffering from Chronic Pain or has a Family member or Friend who suffers. A place where you can tell your story, find others with similar conditions or pain, help someone in need, read up on the latest Chronic Pain treatments or simply sit for a while. Chronic Pain as we all know can be debilitating and relentless. It is not prejudice in any way, shape, or form. It can strike without warning and stay for life. The Chronic Pain Couch is a place designed for your comfort, and please note.. You don't have to suffer from chronic Pain to be a part of this community, we offer a variety of other topics as well. I truly hope that you will come and join us. And remember, there is never a need to worry whether or not your post has been read, a member or myself (Molly) are generally available to read and respond to all posts that come our way...... We are always here for you. Together We CAN Make A Difference in each others lives and how we manage day to day in coping with our relentless pain. Warmest regards, Mollyrae, founder of The Chronic Pain Couch.

Founded by Mollyrae on September 22, 2009
768 members

Hypnotherapy for pain management

Has anyone tried hypnotherapy for management of chronic pain?  My doctor has advised me to try it, as it can be effective in enabling a person to distance themselves emotionally from the pain, thereby lowering stress levels.  Has anyone found this to be so?
Hey jenniwrenne:

Welcome. I have tried Hydrotherapy just once and it was very relaxing to say the least. I didn't go back because it was not covered by my insurance and was costly. If you are able then I would highly advise trying this. I think you'll like it.
Warmest regards,
Molly
Hi Molly,  You mention hydrotherapy, which I believe is a water therapy of some kind.   I am sure it is relaxing, thank you for suggesting it, but as far as I know it is not available in my area.    

My question was about using hypnosis (hypnotherapy) for pain management. I have had hypnotherapy in the past, not for pain management, and did not find it very helpful, but wondered if anyone has found it successful with pain relief..........
Hi Jenni,

I tried hypnotherapy a number of years. It should be called, notherapy. However I was told I am a very strong subject and it "didn't take." I went several times with no success. I beleive for some ppl it does work.

I have always been able to take myself someone else, if that makes any sense. I imagine that is similar but don't really know. Sometimes I can do the mind over matter thing but other times when the pain is really intense and has gone on for many days it just doesn't work. At those times when nothing has has helped for days I see my physician. She is usually able to do what's called muscle releases and will also manipulation in my SI Joint and hips back into alignment. She also gives me IM pain medication and the pain cycle is broken.  

Best of luck with the hypnotherapy. I hope it works for you.

Take Care,
Tuck
Tuck ~ thank you for your helpful comments. I think I'll give the hypnotherapy a miss. Had about
12 sessions in the past for other symptoms, and it made no difference, although it was very relaxing at the time.  I am sure I am more sensitive to mind over matter suggestions when
fully conscious, rather than when in a trance under hypnosis....
nursegirl6572 commented on JGF25's status
Jul 31
againnot commented on Feeling sad desperate...
Jul 31
Kikster24 commented on Why You Might Have A ...
Jul 30