278?1253665060
The Chronic Pain Couch User Group
New treatment I am getting.
About This Group:

This is a great site for anyone suffering from Chronic Pain or has a Family member or Friend who suffers. A place where you can tell your story, find others with similar conditions or pain, help someone in need, read up on the latest Chronic Pain treatments or simply sit for a while. Chronic Pain as we all know can be debilitating and relentless. It is not prejudice in any way, shape, or form. It can strike without warning and stay for life. The Chronic Pain Couch is a place designed for your comfort, and please note.. You don't have to suffer from chronic Pain to be a part of this community, we offer a variety of other topics as well. I truly hope that you will come and join us. And remember, there is never a need to worry whether or not your post has been read, a member or myself (Molly) are generally available to read and respond to all posts that come our way...... We are always here for you. Together We CAN Make A Difference in each others lives and how we manage day to day in coping with our relentless pain. Warmest regards, Mollyrae, founder of The Chronic Pain Couch.

Founded by Mollyrae on September 22, 2009
788 members

New treatment I am getting.

I have been through a series of doctors (for DDD/DJD) who constantly want to renew my pain medication. I am off all the pain medication because of side effects.
Recently I got a Botox injection for my piriformis muscle which REALLY helped. I am walking again for the first time in years.
Due to posture and poor muscle structure, I am getting Botox injections to my back. I received a series of shots yesterday and HOPE it helps. So far this new doctor I went to see, zoomed in on my back issues and is offering these botox injections to my pain areas. They helped my hip area but I will be getting shots there also (botox). He doesn't believe in steroid injections due to deterioration of the bone structure as he put it. Any advise on these injections...please.
How about your feedback on this new treatment. I appreciate your comments.
I have heard much good news about the botox in the hands of qualified doctors.  my lady friend has migraines that bring her to her knees and she is receiving shots in 20 different areas of her head and neck every other month.  She reports no side effects and even though she still has headaches, none as bad as she had before.  The doctor told her that the botox sometimes has a cumulative effect in that the longer you receive the injections the better they work.  We are very fortunate to live in a time of much medical progression..

Good luck to you and please let us know how it is going for you

M
So far the first treatment I had on my piriformis muscle WORKED and I am walking again. Now the present treatments I am getting are for my back and the muscle that are creating pain due to lack of use. Today my muscles are tight but pain is reasonable. Still to early to give a definitive answer but at least I have a doctor now that I am willing to work with and who listens.
Will keep you posted on the results.
I have never heard of this treatment, I wish you the best with it. Please keep us in formed on how well it works for you. Thanks, Teri
with your attitude madman---it is bound to work. Plus our group prayers and dalubaba reiki---how can it miss!  
Well, I started my morning with a short walk and as long s I pay attention to my posture, I seem to be doing well. I feel like taking on another challenge by going out for a nice visual walk today and I am sure I will wind up at the beach. There is something so magical about watching the water move. I guess being a former sailor is still in my blood. Will keep you all posted...
Keep lying to me, it is good therapy for what is left of my brain....
Hi, I get Botox injections in my back and hips too. They will only do it every 3 months, since it is an expensive treatment. I haven't had the piriformis muscle done, but I will ask next time.

I have found that the treatment has helped with the large knots that I get in my muscles. I'm really happy for you, that the treatment has helped your mobility. That is awesome news :)

I'm super jealous that you are walking to the beach, but very happy for you.
I've been in too much pain to walk for the last few days. And am feeling like my meds are loosing their effect.

How often do you get the treatments?  And how long does the Botox relax the muscle?
Thanks, Sue
Nice hearing from you. Here is the rundown on my Botox treatments.
I got my last shot in November to my piriformis muscle and a steroid shot to my hip. I felt a tremendous relief. Three days later I was walking. By mid March my hip started bothering me again along with muscles in my back. I went to a new pain management doctor in Newport Beach. I had my medical records and ready to explain everything but this doctor surprised me. He did a cursory exam and told me he was going to give me a shot right there in the office. Since my back was 'knotted up' the worse, he gave me 4 shots to my back. I went home 45 minutes later. This doctor told me he read all my records and understands my issues. My back muscles were tight day one and day two but a heating pad helped. So far so good, pain is gone and muscles are relaxed.
I am on Medicare so he told me I can only be treated once a month but if I have an emergency, come in for treatment. This doctors told me that the steroid injections could do bone damage so he shy's away from that treatment. So far I like this doctor and he didn't push the pain medication. He asked but I told him I did not want any. He seemed VERY focused on what he was doing and so far I like him.
So far so good.
It is time for these doctors to update their education. There are NEW treatment going on in this area of pain and research the internet in you area for pain management doctors that treat with more advanced educated methods. That is what I did. I tried to get one doctor locally but this doctor required a referral. I had him speak to my family doctor of 30 years but they kept pushing my doctor for stupid questions, not the patient. They were asking my family doctor for insurance information which he does not have because he is a VA doctor but he knows my history.
I spent 4 days calling this local clinic for an appointment and they never returned a phone call. I then moved on to another doctor in Newport Beach which got me in within two weeks and in and out of his office in 45 minute with treatment.
It takes a lot to find a doctor that will treat but they are out there so don't get discouraged. I should keep a list of all the doctors I have been to but don't think I have enough paper to cover that.
After my retirement (1991) I lost contact with doctors and even meds. I have canvassed for many analgesic products, up to eighties.After that I am completely blank about new analgesics. I knew about periformis (sp?) muscles as I was searching for my feet sensation (glove and socks syndrome).There is some simple moment for this muscle.I have read that in some person sciatica nerve passes through peroformis muscle an in come cases, sciatika nerve passes by the side of the muscle. I do not know the significance of this anomaly. I do not know anything about botox injection.I have paresthesia. I do not have pain but I feel sensation of tightness in my feet. there is no treatment for this issue. so I do search in holistic therapy. It is good that you have a cooperative doctor.
I don't know alot of medical terms, I have a pinched sciatic nerve from my last surgery when 4 rods were placed in my back to straighten my back, and the nerve is pinched between the rods and screws and the medical doctors say that nothing can be done as the bone is incorporating with the screws and rods.  Before meditation I could not walk as the pain goes all the way from my waist down to my toes of both legs... I have not looked at holistic forms of therapy, but since meditating, I can walk again.  I am like a 2 year old, unsteady alot of times, but I force myself every day to walk, to feed my birds and squirrels and now 20 wild rabbits wait every night at 1 am for a big bunch of orange carrots that I put out for them.  They watch me in the windows and have begun to not run away when I go out with the sweet orange treats and scatter them on the ground.  I too will look for any info on holistic treatments and will add what I find here and maybe there will be something that is of interest to you....

Blessings to you

M
ya sound like saint francis with the birds and the animals and the sun and the moon and i betcha the squirrels and those sweet wild little rabbits! I am so jealous!

om
Oh, that dreaded pisiform is!!
Please excuse my typing as my ipadcis acting up and I type from bed...
I had trigger point injections and relatedvproblemswith  that and Pedundal nerve years ago. I need a pedundalbnervecblock as we speak.
I would spend hours researching that syndrome.years ago..
I pray that you get 1000% better because ofvthe treatment ..
I have a hero crush on you because you have come thru the FIRES of Hell and are here oh so willing ..even though still hurting....to help us....Me!
Blessingsvfrom my heart...I think I have one?
ok----forgive me in advance.......

so....pisiform muscle is it? Mine is wearing out. and i did have some ipaditis once but did a batterectomy on it.....oh god i better stop----channeling george carlin again....
Thank you for your information. I have read about the paresthesia a bit. Scary to say the least.
The new pm doctor I am seeing zoomed right in on the issues I am having and Botox seems to be the right treatment for me. It really helps. This piriformis syndrome has been around for a while but debated by the medical community. Some are now getting an education on how to treat this annoying muscle. I am due for another shot (too much walking I guess causing this syndrome to act up again.)
I have been to hundreds of doctors and continue to do research on their backgrounds and treatments. For me, thee treatments help and I am getting better.
Thanks for your input and focus.
I am not sure how to answer you sue. I got a Botox treatment for the piriformis muscle in November and due for another due to increased activity. The doctor I am seeing does not recommend steroid injections. He says they can do more harm than good. I am ok with that.
Please don't be jealous, I don't know what to expect next or what will kick up next. I am just dealing with the pain relief at present. I did some heavy stairs the other day and that really kicked up my hip and piriformis muscle syndrome. Too much exercise seems to react to a muscle that does not like it. I get shots monthly but have a lot of areas to work on so will keep you informed of the results. So far better.
Thank you for the thoughts. As mentioned, i have no choice. For some reason, life keeps me going and with the help of my caregiver, I am alive, for what purpose I do not know. I am sure there is one but I am not asking any questions....(I am not sure I want to know the answer). I remember when all these pain issues started in various areas and all they could give me was drugs. Now I am drug free, still in some pain but better than I was years ago, so something is working. Takes time to focus on what is hurting and when and what is causing it. Doctors have many different opinions and I have had a few negative ones that scare me. I won't settle for that. There has got to be an answer out there somewhere. I guess that is what keeps me going.
Thank for the 'hero's crush'. Nice to be appreciated. This adds a smile to my 'crown of thorns' and now I can look at that smile and enjoy it.
Sorry I haven't gotten back with anyone in a couple of days. Thanks for the input MadMan. I'm glad your treatments seem to be helping. Just quit over doing. LOL Wish I could get my puter in the bed with me, but can't seem to manage it. I have had 2 of the worse days ever for the pain. You would think with all I take it would help. I have an appt, with PMP in a couple of weeks. We'll see what he has to say. Thanks for listening. Teri
alright teri here it is----
For some reason Tweety is your choice to represent you to the rest of our group.
Imagine Sylvester is Pain and Tweety is you.
As the pain Sylvester tries to figure out every way possible to catch and Eat-Defeat that crafty Tweety who always outwits that darn Cat!
Every Time Teri---as will you.
Even when there are times when it seems like the pain will win---when the cat will finally win the game (the lila) and eat the bird------the bird posts in and demonstrates her awareness and strength during two days abiding the pain---accepting the realitty that that Darn Cat has life after life after life!.
Man!
I tell 'ya.
so glad You have decided to be one of us Teri.......i look forward to reading your future posts.
Thanks for being here Teri

om
meegWpaw commented on photo
breezytoo commented on photo
meegWpaw commented on photo