278?1253665060
The Chronic Pain Couch User Group
No Question, Just New To The Groups!
About This Group:

This is a great site for anyone suffering from Chronic Pain or has a Family member or Friend who suffers. A place where you can tell your story, find others with similar conditions or pain, help someone in need, read up on the latest Chronic Pain treatments or simply sit for a while. Chronic Pain as we all know can be debilitating and relentless. It is not prejudice in any way, shape, or form. It can strike without warning and stay for life. The Chronic Pain Couch is a place designed for your comfort, and please note.. You don't have to suffer from chronic Pain to be a part of this community, we offer a variety of other topics as well. I truly hope that you will come and join us. And remember, there is never a need to worry whether or not your post has been read, a member or myself (Molly) are generally available to read and respond to all posts that come our way...... We are always here for you. Together We CAN Make A Difference in each others lives and how we manage day to day in coping with our relentless pain. Warmest regards, Mollyrae, founder of The Chronic Pain Couch.

Founded by Mollyrae on September 22, 2009
775 members

No Question, Just New To The Groups!

Hello everyone. I'm a chronic pain (says wife), and a chronic pain patient with no patience (says my doctors)! I'm 44 years young, and have constant pain in my lower back and legs. I have had this problem for a long time, well over 10 years I beleive. I'm horrible with time. Lucky to know what month it is, nevermind what day it is! I've had 12 lower back surgeries , along with all the other "bells and whistles" that come with it. I'm currently disabled (I'm just starting to grasp the forever part). I used to be a Union Sheetmetal Worker, actually called a cornice worker- the copper roofing side of the trade. I miss work reallly badly. I was one of those people who actually loved their job. I've had many types of jobs over the years, but the buck did finally stop there! Oh yea, I first hurt my back noticably while working on a "side job" one saturday morning. I simply twisted while lifting something heavy and heard and felt a big "pop". Of course I continued to injure myself further that day by continuing to work until I absolutely couldn't anymore. I was hunched over and walking like a crab on my way to the ER. The doctor asked what happened. He made sure I didn't injure it by trauma ie: a fall or something and gave me a prescription for some painkillers. No xray, mri, or anything was necessary. We know how I did it. It never got better. My primary care doctor ordered an MRI, which showed a large herniation. It was operated on about a month later. My primary continued the pain medication. I think it was percocet, or vicoden ES, whatever. I was to not work for at least 3 months. I owned a home and had a wife and kids, with no oney coming in. My wife was stay at home with children, and now me also! I really did OWN my home. I had it paid off completely. AHHHH, the days of no rent, or no mortgage...the good ole days! (I won on a lottery scratch ticket and paid the house off). I wasn't a millionare, but I was living the american dream alright. I went back to work early and the next level herniated in my spine. Another surgery. More painkillers. I went back early yet again and worked for probably 6 months when pain was an issue big-time. the original surgeon told me to lie down and heal for a year and see him after that! LIE DOWN FOR A YEAR????? wow. I ended up witha great doctor/surgeon who removed scar-tissue and inserted a membrane somwhere in there to keep my nerve from being impinged. The surgery was a success! I was basically pain free, just a few flare-ups here and there. Percocet fixed that. This new surgeon/doctor also told me no work until he says so, and no heavy lifting FOREVER! Basically no more sheetmetal forever he meant. Did I listen? HE did a fusion that same year, or close to it. Then another fusion was performed. Then some other procedure. Then another.....etc., etc.   Flash to today and I'm in constant pain in my lower back and legs, take god-awful dosages of pain medications, went through depression and "bad thoughts'for a spell, long since lost my home, everything just fell apart when I physically fell apart.  I'm psychologically okay now> I've accepted the hand dealt to me. I'm making the best of it. The one thing that bothers me to this day is the fact that all my "friends" are gone. I understand from their side though. It's hard to make plans with someone who doesn't know how they are going to function that particular day or night. It leads to plans being broken, and then animosity......I have ranted long enough! Good luck to whoever reads this mess! I'm knowledgeable with pain medications, most tests like MRI's and such, how good ddoctors act, and how bad ones do so you can "run" the other way! I'll try and help you with whatever questions you need answered very truthfully and bluntly okay????
                   Thanks,
                          Sean
Hi Shinty! This is only a test!
welcome to the cult shinty---glad to have you on board and what a generous offer. Jump right in and read a bunch of our posts so you can catch up on what we are doing and then feel free to share your observations--your experience--and your energy.  om
Hi shinty, welcome to the couch.  
Yes this is where we hang out, since we can't get out, to regular jobs, friends etc. I also live with chronic back pain and know about the surgeries, depression, drugs, loss of income, loss of friends, family members who don't understand, and getting my head around being disabled!

I was so glad when I found this site.  To be able to speak to people who understand my struggles has been a huge blessing for me. Even just to talk about the pain I'm in, is great, because most people don't want to hear about it.

I'm visiting my sister at the moment, who had surgery yesterday.  So I'm the nurse, cook and taxi driver for a week. She is a single mum now, with 4 kids so I flew out too Nova Scotia to help her out. Yesterday really did me in. I forgot to bring my disability sticker for the car, so I had a lot of walking to do. And it was a long day, getting up early to get the kids ready, being at the hospital and then coming home to make dinner. Omg I was done!

I'm in so much pain today. So I have to manage my energy carefully.
Luckily it's a snow day, so the kids and I all went back to bed for a few more hours :)  I'm going to make a pot of stew for dinner so hopefully I can get the kids to peel veggies for me. I'm just upset that I will have to smoke pot to be able to cope today. I hate that people take notice and make me feel like a drug addict if I need my marijuana, but nobody wood give a **** if  I took a morphine pill (which is way more harmful for me)

Anyway, i will be living one hour at a time today, and be giving myself a big treat for making it through the day. And a well deserved nap, once the stew is on the stove.

Thanks for joining the group, and like Om said we would love to get your perspective on this crazy life of pain.
Take care, Sue
Hi, I'm Cindee.  I had chronic back, neck, arthritis, and many other health issues which caused me to develop severe anxiety. When I was young, I  broke 6 ribs on the right side which now have developed bone spurs pressing on nerves--and the leg pain is the worst--very painful to sit, stand, walk, even lie down.  I also have scoliosis and degenerative disc--all kinds of herniations and bum knees, list goes on....

I am pretty much stuck in bed /home and can't get out.  Boy, do I get the losing friends and family that doesn't understand thing.  I miss all the family functions, and nobody comes here to see me.   My only son moved and my husband is the quiet type, and does his own thing...it gets lonely.

I'm so sorry for what you're dealing with.   You're young  -- it's so unfair.  Please feel free to rant, I do it all t time.  Love my MedHelp friends---I'm on the boards every day, hope to talk to you soon!
alrighty shinty time to post in with inspiration and refreshing new insights and---well----whaddaya got?   om
Om, you make me laugh--just wanted to tell you that, and I need it.
here is a reminder of how we welcomed you very warmly in Jan.
thought the group might like to see your post and the respnse----whaddaya think shinty----owe anyone a sincere apology----or What. Especially the Women of our group!!!!!    
i sent you a note with a huge humble apology shinty and here i make it public----so sorry for the stupid post. I have no clue why i did that.  sorry
please give the group another try shinty. Be well
omhome
Welcome Shinty. Hope to see you often !!

Molly
well there it is again for all to see----the preacher of positivity being a negative nincompoop in his worse moment and post at mh----maybe the worse---hmmmm--maybe not!! Sorry again shinty. Please do give the group another chance. We could use your energy.....
      My only excuse is i get over-protective of our group---very defensive---reactive---macho!---HA! I had practice raising three daughters---oh their poor boyfriends!.....so--- a lot of practice too apologizing to them. Good 'ol 1950's Texas conditioning........still there.  Darn.

om
I'm sorry, I must be missing something here.

omhome... maybe you could enlighten me through a personal message?

well----it is not my place to tell shinty he owes a "huge apology" to the group. Kind of nasty comment about "reminder of welcome"---oh-----the two posts above yours molly where i take shinty to task are what sparked some behind the scenes comments to me about it (and not from shinty) and rightly so.....not right of me at all to do that. No judgement----support is what is called for. Understanding. Compassion.  Ya know.....so i felt b ad-----[and apologized. I hope he is ok with it now.
     hey group.   this is what to do when ya screw up!

om
Dalubaba commented on Rainbow
jimi1822 commented on photo
dominosarah commented on photo