278?1253665060
The Chronic Pain Couch User Group
Not sure what to do
About This Group:

This is a great site for anyone suffering from Chronic Pain or has a Family member or Friend who suffers. A place where you can tell your story, find others with similar conditions or pain, help someone in need, read up on the latest Chronic Pain treatments or simply sit for a while. Chronic Pain as we all know can be debilitating and relentless. It is not prejudice in any way, shape, or form. It can strike without warning and stay for life. The Chronic Pain Couch is a place designed for your comfort, and please note.. You don't have to suffer from chronic Pain to be a part of this community, we offer a variety of other topics as well. I truly hope that you will come and join us. And remember, there is never a need to worry whether or not your post has been read, a member or myself (Molly) are generally available to read and respond to all posts that come our way...... We are always here for you. Together We CAN Make A Difference in each others lives and how we manage day to day in coping with our relentless pain. Warmest regards, Mollyrae, founder of The Chronic Pain Couch.

Founded by Mollyrae on September 22, 2009
774 members

Not sure what to do

I am new to this site and have been dealing with chronic pain for several years now. It all started back in 1982 when I had fallen off a 3 story ledge when I was in the Navy and ruptured my spleen and bleed enternally all night and when I came to I could not move and the pain was so intense and at this point I didn't remember what had happened and when the ambulance took me to the naval hospital and the first flight surgeon looked at me and sent me on my way with 5 bottles of Mylanta but I never made it out of the hospital before I fell out and when I came to I was on a stretcher and another flight surgeon ask ifI could tell him who next of kin was so he could contact and told me that he was not sure if I would pull through and since I am writing this you know I made it but that is when my problems with my back started. It just seemed to ache all the time and took alot of otc meds for years and being a diesel mechanic wasn't making it any easier. Well the pain just got worse and as much as I hated to go to doctor and my wife on my butt I decided to go and they gave me some meds and it didn't help so I went back and they gave me somemore inflamatory meds again and still no relief so I went back again and they said  we are not giving you any narcotics and I replyed that I wanted something that would ease my pain and it didn't have to be narcotics but I was getting tired of paying for things that were not working so they tried something else that didn't work. I thought they were suppose to be there to help us but I felt like they looked at me as a drug addict because of my hair an tattoos so I quit going and delt with pain a couple more years and it got worse and finally I went back to doctor again and same ol run around. nothing showing up on xrays and I was at around an 6 on the pain scale at this point and my pain scale is judged by the pain from ruptured spleen in 82 so I ask my doctor in a not so nice way how long he as been practicing medicine and when he told me I said with that much practice you should know what the hell you are doing and I was ask to leave. At this point I was beside myself and wondering what the heck to do because my work was being affected now. Someone told me to check out pain clinic and I have never heard of a pain clinic but hey that is my problem so they should be pros it. Went in and they said I could have nerve block and should be better and so I did and again and again and about 25 blocks later and still the same so they said nothing else they could do and put me on morphine and every month I went in they drug tested me and this went on for a year and a half and I was at a Christmas party and when we got home I went to my jacket to get my medication and it was gone and 3 weeks before I go back to doctor. I called and they said no and I went through hell for the next couple weeks and a friends wife gave e something that should help and it did and yep I failed drug test and they wouldn't give my meds to me anymore. The pain seemed to be worse now than before and I was really sick, felt I would have to die to feel better. Well there is more to tell but I imagin if you are still reading at this point it won't be long before you quit so I will cut alot out and tell ya that I finally went to a spine clinic in Memphis and after a MRI they found that my back was broken on both sides of my spine at L5 and done surgery and when I came to in recovery he said I had alot of nerve damage and was most likely caused by waiting so long before having anything done. I still have problems with back but not as bad as is was then. If doctors had to warranty their work like I had to do when I was in business, I would bet they wouldn't be living quite as well as they do. I have no confidence in them anymore. but I guess thats why they just practice. The reason for my post is my pain doctor decline to change my meds after they are not working as well anymore and I think after being on them so long they lose there effectiveness and should b e changed. Not sure if I should look for another doctor since I have been going there so long or wait it out. His salution was to lower the dosage of the Oxycotin and add an inflamatory and its been 2 months and I am feeling worse. Thanks for listening.
alright jfbj :  you might copy this and post it at the addiction site-(can find a link on sidebar at pain management site) and also pain management--you will get more response.  
     I think you should be looking for another doc and until you find one just riding it out.  They have the power---and you have been a bad little boy in their eyes (they are God remember and you crossed them and pissed them off) so be good for a while and find a doc you can work with.  That's all i gotr right now----hey while you are here check out what we are trying to do.  om
I read your whole post, omg, you have been through a lot of crap!  Were you going to a Veteran's hospital or Dr.?  I think you really need to go to a good chronic pain clinic.  I wish I could say I can't believe you were treated so poorly, but after listening to so many people in chronic pain, I definitely can believe you and am angry that you have been suffering for so long.

Personally I think it is a good idea to change your meds up, esp when you need to start upping the dose to get the same pain relief.  Are you in a State where you can get medical marijuana?  You could use it with your other pain meds, I do, and I have found that I can reduce the amount of opioids I use.

I think you need to find a Dr. who is really willing to work with you to find the right drug for you.  Also most pain patients take an antidepressant, since SSRI's can reduce your pain level.  I would definitely experiment, but with a Dr. who is willing to see you once a week until you work out a plan.

I also need to exercise to cope with my back pain. I have spondylolisthesis in L4, L5 and S1, and i've been in pain since 1991.  I find swimming really helpful, if you can find a warm pool to swim in, you will be amazed at how free you feel in the water.
And I also do gentle yoga, the stretching, relaxation and meditation makes me feel really good.  I know it is hard to get out when you are in pain, but it is so worth it.

Hang in there, you deserve to get help with your pain.  But watch out for the anti-inflammatory drugs, they will ruin your stomach!  I took them for 3 years before my first back surgery, the doctors didn't warn me, and my stomach is a mess now!

Let us know how you are doing,
Sue
hello sue and i am so glad to see you here!!  A new year with all the new possibilities.    
     Jfbj how about posting back and let us know how things are going with you.  As you can see by sue's awesome response we do really care what happens with our fellow partners in pain.     omhome
A word of advise from my past experience w/ pain clinics. Find a clinic where the Dr's ar Board Certified in Pain Management. Especially if you are going to have injections...

Let me know if you have any q's  about what I wrote.

Hope it works out,

Hakensak
nursegirl6572 commented on Derealization and Dep...
Lev1Fagan commented on Derealization and Dep...
nursegirl6572 "Patience is the calm accep... Comment
Sep 16