278?1253665060
The Chronic Pain Couch User Group
Pain has taken over my life. Help!
About This Group:

This is a great site for anyone suffering from Chronic Pain or has a Family member or Friend who suffers. A place where you can read up on the latest information on chronic pain, tell your story, post any information you'd like to relay, or just come to simply sit for a while. Chronic Pain as we all know can be debilitating and relentless. It is not prejudice in any way, shape, or form. It can strike without warning and stay for life. The Chronic Pain Couch is a place designed for your comfort, and please note.. You don't have to suffer from chronic Pain to be a part of this community, we offer a variety of other topics as well. I truly hope that you will come and join us. And remember, there is never a need to worry whether or not your post is heard, we always hear and respond...... We are always here for you. Together We CAN Make A Difference in each others lives and how we manage to cope with our pain from day to day! Warmest regards, Mollyrae, founder of The Chronic Pain Couch.

Founded by Mollyrae on September 22, 2009
747 members

Pain has taken over my life. Help!

in Jan of this year (10), I fell out of racking from 6.5 feet up. Half way down, my head bounced off a steam beam so hard that i had whip lash, and i landed on the concrete floor on my tailbone. Its been about 10 months now, and the pain is worse now more than ever! The pain started in my lower back, and has crept to my mid back, and actually all over my back. I have spasm, terrible knots that feel like my muscles are on fire, if i sit for more than a half hour my but, legs, and feet start to go numb/tingle. I am seeing a workman's comp Dr. that doesn't seem to hear me when i tell him the pain is taking over my life. I went for months without any pain meds because i pride myself on a really high pain tolerance. When i was in - what i thought to be - the worst pain of my life, i told him i don't care if i have to take elephant tranqs... i need to be out of this pain. He prescribed me 2 Fentanyl 25mg patches to try. I didnt like the way i felt, they made me too loopy and i researched them and found out that they are the most addictive patch that is out. I told him i didn't want anything like that because i dont like the "high" feeling, and dont want to get hooked on something like that, so he prescribed me Oxycontin 10 mg. I've been on that for a few months and it seemed to take the edge of the pain enough to manage it. However, about a 3 weeks, to a month ago, after a physical therapy appointment later that night, there was a new type of pain that has grown over the weeks to something that i can not handle. I can barely get out of bed, i dont want to shower as often, because its not worth the pain, if i cough i feel like im going to throw my back out, even going to the bathroom is a hassle because of the pain, and i cant go out and be the social butterfly that i would like to be at 23 years of age.. ITS TAKING OVER MY LIFE. The pain is worsening, and doesnt show any signs of letting up. I can barely sleep at night because of the pain of tossing and turning. I decided to take my pain into my own hands and research different medications that would help manage the pain.
    I geared my search to something thats not as powerful as the fentanyl, but stronger than the Oxycontin on a m.g. to m.g. basis. I came across a few ER, and IR medications, and figured that staying with something thats ER would be less threatening (as far as habit forming) because you only take 1 or 2 a day, opposed to 3 or 4. First i came across morphine, but i dont think i would like to take straight morphine, then i came across something called "Opana", which is oxymorphone, which i guess is oxycontin and morphine combined. since i dont want to increase the medication i take over 10 mg. i read that Opana is stronger than oxycontin on a mg to mg basis. I also read some accounts of people taking Opana, combined with "roxicodone" for break through pain, but i dont know if i want to be on 2 narcotic pain meds. However, Honestly, i dont care what i have to take as long as it lets me manage my pain on a day to day basis, and doesnt make me all messed up drooling all over myself. I posted this to get as much feedback as i possibly could. My next appointment is in four days, and i would like to equip myself with an arsenal of information to discuss with my Dr. Thank you for reading this novel i have written. Ive been in my bed for weeks, and needed to vent to someone... So THANKS AGAIN!
Welcome to the forum! We're not doctors here. We're chronic pain patients who do our best to help each other.

I understand that you don't want to increase your dose above 10mg., but I really think that if Oxycontin is working for you then you should stay with it.

On the other hand, some doctors do change medications around to avoid tolerance, so maybe that will work for you.

Roxicodone is oxycodone (the main ingredient in Oxycontin) without the acetaminophen.

Many chronic pain patients do take a long acting medication and a short acting for breakthrough pain. I know that you don't want to take a lot of pills, but maybe you need to so that you can function better.

I hope that your appointment goes well! Please keep us updated.

Hugs,

Flower
I meant to say that maybe you need to increase your dose, not maybe you need to take a lot of pills.

Sorry, I'm having a high pain morning!
I am so sorry for all the pain and how it has taken over your life Boo. good for you to do the research yourself and understand whats avail and the pros and cons of each medication. None of us here want to be on medication but we all need some quality of life too.
I would strong suggest to you that you ask for a 'referral' to a PAIN MANAGEMEMT Dr. (PMP)....these doctors know all about medications and how to prescribe them much more than a regular doctor like I assume you are seeing now?

whatever route you take I wish you luck son, no one should have to live in the pain you are in and you need to get that under control. ♥
specialmom, and nursegirl6572 commented on nursegirl6572's status
specialmom Little League Opening Day!... Comment
nursegirl6572 HAAPY EASTER to my MH famil... Comment