278?1253665060
The Chronic Pain Couch User Group
The Dangers of Suboxone...Please Read
About This Group:

This is a great site for anyone suffering from Chronic Pain or has a Family member or Friend who suffers. A place where you can tell your story, find others with similar conditions or pain, help someone in need, read up on the latest Chronic Pain treatments or simply sit for a while. Chronic Pain as we all know can be debilitating and relentless. It is not prejudice in any way, shape, or form. It can strike without warning and stay for life. The Chronic Pain Couch is a place designed for your comfort, and please note.. You don't have to suffer from chronic Pain to be a part of this community, we offer a variety of other topics as well. I truly hope that you will come and join us. And remember, there is never a need to worry whether or not your post has been read, a member or myself (Molly) are generally available to read and respond to all posts that come our way...... We are always here for you. Together We CAN Make A Difference in each others lives and how we manage day to day in coping with our relentless pain. Warmest regards, Mollyrae, founder of The Chronic Pain Couch.

Founded by Mollyrae on September 22, 2009
770 members

The Dangers of Suboxone...Please Read

Hi Everyone........

Lately I've seen a number of post regarding the drug Suboxone. Many pain patients do not know the effects that Suboxone is capable of and I would like to inform opiate users of the dangers associated with Suboxone and how it can effect those of us taking opiates.

It's a myth that if you stop taking opiates within a 72 hr. period and replace it with Suboxone, you can stop the withdrawl (withdrawal) process. In reality, it will only speed up the withdrawl (withdrawal) process and send your body into severe withdrawls. Your body is getting the full effect all at once and this can be dangerous.

I write this because I went through a heroing experience by taking Suboxone as a replacement for the Fentanyl that I am prescribed. I thought that maybe, just maybe I could get by with this what I thought was a wonder drug treating both pain and withdrawls. Man, was I wrong. All it did was send my by ambulance to the ER with severe withdrawls. I nearly died that night. It took a team of nurses and Doctors to bring me back to me.

I can't express enough the dangers associated with Suboxone. It is for professional use only.

Did you know that not every Doctor can prescribe Suboxone. Doctors have to acquire a special license to prescribe Suboxone and go through a short training program so that they are aware of the dangers brought with this drug.

Please heed this warning and never use this drug unless it's prescribed by a Doctor who has knowledge with it.

Warmest regards,
Mollyrae
Thank you for the post!  I've given some thought to Suboxone, but after your post no thanks!
I'm just hoping that as I get onto the 12mcg patches that withdrawal won't be as bad (wishful thinking on my part).  And I'm hoping I can find something that will work for my pain and dosn't give me all the side effects that I have with Fentenyl.
Please don't be afraid of Suboxone if your physician prescribes it for you. When it is prescribed by a physician, used as prescribed and monitored under a trained eye it is a very good medication. It has done wonders for many ppl.

Mollyrae is a kind, warm sweetheart. I think we all love her but her experience is not typical. It's my guess she would agree with that statement. I can't speak for her but I beleive she is referring to the posts where ppl were considering taking Suboxone without a prescription.

All medications can have horror stories under the right circumstances.  
That is true, it's just that my docs seem to let me bring to the table what I want to try other then offering what I should try.  Sometimes that is a good thing and other times it is not.  I seem to have it a lot different then most on here, as I didn't even know that most docs require a contract when prescribing opiate drugs.  This seems like a good subject though, the difference in pain management doctors and primary care docs from state to state.  I live in Northern California, and my pm dosn't prescribe opiates.  He recommends to my pcp and she does the Rxing of all my drugs.
In my state, Wisconsin it is also the PCP that prescribes for their CP patients. PMP do not even recommend to my knowledge. I have no had to sign a contract either.

But I have such a great trusting relationship with my PCP. I would never abuse my medications in any form. Not only am I not inclined to do so, I would never risk losing her trust. In my state physicians are just as cautious when prescribing opiates as they are in other states. Indeed maybe more so.

It would be interesting to see how many and what states have PMP that only prescribe for CP patients compared to PCP. I'll have to see if I can research that subject.  
The intention for my statement on Suboxone were the questions and CASUALness of the drug. It seems that people have this notion that taking Suboxone is totally safe and effective after stopping opiates...or not stopping opiates.

My story is very typical for someone who wasn't under a Doctors care and the Doctors and nurses who were at my side said that I was not the firstthey had seen with these reactions. I don't want others to take this drug lightly. It has serious consequenses and should be treated that way.

My message was a warning for others.....to learn of what I went through and what others could possibly face if they do what I did.

Of course other drugs can be dangerous....this message is for ppl to think twice before taking Suboxone UN-SUPERVISED as I did.

I have never abused my drugs either...I was looking for a different way to cope with my pain. I made a HUGE mistake and regret it to this day. I thought my life as I knew it was over and I want to pass this message on. This message is a good thing.

Don't get me wrong...Suboxone can be very effective if used in conjuntion with your Doctors approval and prescription. I want ppl to think twice before taking it unsupervised.

Tuck.....I appreciate your comment and I guess I should have clarified myself in regards to taking suboxone under a Doctors careful eye. Suboxone has helped many ppl and for that, it can be a great drug. The Dangers are in taking this medication without knowledge or under Doctors orders.

Thank you for the warning.  I'm sure this will help others in the future if they are thinking the same thing in trying suboxtone to stop the withdrawal.  I hear all the time that Suboxtone is used to "replace" withdrawals.  I never knew it sped up the process.   That had to be a very scary event for you that night.  I'm glad you are okay and it did not result of you passing away.  I know there are a lot of people who are searching a way of the dependant medications and don't like to take them in the first place.  

These pain medications have a very bad rap.  I honestly don't understand why they have such a bad rap.  There are SO MANY of us that use this medications the right way.  It personally should be the PEOPLE getting the bad reputation, not the meds itself.
Suboxone is a good drug if used in a professional setting but I see ppl that think it's alright to take it on their own and that's where the trouble begins. Thanks for your support RunningMom....
Molly
Suboxone only puts you in withdrawl (withdrawal) if you take it to soon after taking any opiate. Fentanyl is very powerful and long acting to which a person would have to wait four or more daus after last dose before taking suboxone. A person must be in withdrawl (withdrawal) to initiate a suboxone dose.
My ex is taking suboxone , hes not percribed these. Gets them off the streets... and he takes perks.. im trying to get him help. Cause hes always sick. I didnt kno the danger of subs till i started researching it.. his family and crazy gf doesnt kno. So  im trying to do this all myself to get the help he needs. I want to see him better.. i care bout him to much to see anything happen to him...
Wanted to add. Hes nit taking opient.. hes addicted to the subs.. and if he doesnt have any, he gets really sick... i hope i can find him some help. If anyone knows a place or something. Please feel free to email me at ***@****
specialmom commented on Shannon79's status
realjimmy commented on Derealization and Dep...
specialmom commented on Barb135's status
Aug 31