278?1253665060
The Chronic Pain Couch User Group
Toning and Weight Loss with Chronic Pain?
About This Group:

This is a great site for anyone suffering from Chronic Pain or has a Family member or Friend who suffers. A place where you can tell your story, find others with similar conditions or pain, help someone in need, read up on the latest Chronic Pain treatments or simply sit for a while. Chronic Pain as we all know can be debilitating and relentless. It is not prejudice in any way, shape, or form. It can strike without warning and stay for life. The Chronic Pain Couch is a place designed for your comfort, and please note.. You don't have to suffer from chronic Pain to be a part of this community, we offer a variety of other topics as well. I truly hope that you will come and join us. And remember, there is never a need to worry whether or not your post has been read, a member or myself (Molly) are generally available to read and respond to all posts that come our way...... We are always here for you. Together We CAN Make A Difference in each others lives and how we manage day to day in coping with our relentless pain. Warmest regards, Mollyrae, founder of The Chronic Pain Couch.

Founded by Mollyrae on September 22, 2009
780 members

I have a 19 month old son and still have some baby weight to lost. In addition, I was on bed-rest with the pregnancy and between that and my pain the last year and a half, my muscles are very weak. I did some serious stretching the other night...which I could tell my body was just CRAVING (it felt soooooo good), but then I paid for it majorly the next day. Yeah...just stretching.

I am going to start pt next month, which my pm doc has been begging me to do for a while now, but I am only going to be able to go every two weeks due to my budget with all of the other medical bills.

And like all ladies, I'd like to get into better shape for the summer. :) (besides the obvious that if I'm stronger, it may just help with the pain)

But how do I even begin to get there? Last year I tried a "couch to 5k" program which consisted of walking and then very sloooowly adding running (like 30 seconds every other day). Once I got to two minutes of running my knees and ankles hurt so bad I could hardly walk for weeks. So I sadly gave that up. :(

I went to the library today and got a beginners yoga and a beginners pilates dvd to try, but I don't think that's going to cut the mustard. I'd love to swim, but with the kiddos, I'm having a hard time finding time to get to the pool.

Do you all have any suggestions? What do you do?

I'm about to go try the yoga dvd. Took some pain meds first so I could "do it." We'll see how it goes! Wish me luck!
Hello, and Good Luck on starting your Yoga Kat,
It is so hard when you hurt to even feel well enough to get up and get going, but it only gets harder when you don't.  I noticed a lot of muscle wasting shortly after my injury too and then adding extra weight to have to pack around with less muscles to do it made getting started almost impossible.Like you mentioned, when you do you pay dearly the next day.  

Swimming which you said you love, is an excellent source of exercise and the weightlessness in the water helps takes the strain off your joints and body.  There are several facilities such as the Family Y that offers child care services.  This way you can swim in the pool and know your little guys are being cared for close by. Facilities such as the Y also offers scholarship programs for people who are disabled or are unable to afford the regular monthly fees.  

I hope that when you start PT it is beneficial in teaching you additional ways to exercise and rebuild muscle tone that is appropriate for you. Hopefully they can help you strengthen your ankles and legs so you can increase your activity without them slowing you down. Most PT services also offers an Aqua therapy program too that teaches strength training while in the water.  

The personal preferences I have is swimming, and walking with low poundage weights.  The most important thing to remember is to start slow, and gradually build up by increasing your distance, slowly increasing the poundage of the weights, rest as needed, and try not to push yourself too far, too fast.  

Good Luck Kat.        Please keep us posted on how your doing.
Have A Wonderful Pain Free Day and God Bless Brenda  
Thanks for the suggestions Brenda! I hadn't thought of the Y. I will check that out. One of the reasons that I haven't started PT yet is because I've done tons and tons of it over the years and it hasn't yielded much benefit. So I hesitate to spend money on co-pays that could be going to other things. I still do a lot of the stretches that I've learned there before. I will look into joining the Y and how much the child-care costs. It may be a better option at this point then doing PT AGAIN. I have access to a TENS at work (I work in a dental office) and that is the other thing they usually do for me in PT.

The yoga workout felt great! It is a "yoga for strong backs" dvd. So it focused on stretching the back. But I could really FEEL the tight muscles in my left arm and shoulder (where my acute pain is) as I was doing them. I really liked the "focus" on the breathing...it helped me really listen to my body and relax. AND I feel like I got a work-out in with my legs too. Now I have to see what I feel like in the morning :Z
Hi Kat,
Im so glad you enjoyed the Yoga hopefully it won't make you too sore. But Oh yes the morning will tell all lol.  One thing about it the mornings show no mercy sometimes, do they?    As far as the Y's child care I think they are free for the members as long as you stay in the facility.  Then won't watch them any other time, LOL Darn it.  I understand what you mean about PT, & understand your reluctance to try it again when it didn't help before. It gets expensive paying for things like that, doesn't it? Dave my feller, is fighting with his PM doc right now over having injections in his back.  The doc wants to do them and he's had them done before and they didn't work, so why pay for something like that when you know it's probably money down the drain?  

Does the TENS unit help ease your pain? I tried one early on but didn't get much relief but I know they really help a lot of people.  I have a Homemedics Percussion massager here that is The Bomb.  It is one of the best massagers  I've used, it can sure make your back sore sometimes though because it is so strong and it penetrates into all those real deep muscles and relieves all that tightness. Keep us posted on how you're doing.  Good Luck Hun.  Have A Wonderful Pain Free Night and God Bless Brenda      
Hi Kitty,

I was also bed ridden/hospitalized with both of my sons which are 3 years apart. I found swimming worked well for me but I couldn't always get to the pool and I didn't have resources nearby to get someone to watch my children for a couple of hours every other day.

One day I saw a young woman jogging with her 2 seater stroller and I thought to myself...now that's smart!  So I started walking with my children, then slowly jogging. It was a healthy thing for us and for me. I was able to get back into shape and feel great about it. It helped with my back and hip pain from delivery also.

I hope this helps!  Therese
OUCH!! That Yoga made me SO sore this morning!! I was going to go to a parade with hubby and the kids this morning and just couldn't do it. It's so cold outside and I'm so tense everywhere. I'm trying to decide if doing it again would HELP stretch out the muscles, or make it worse?!

I should also mention that I recently went to Europe to visit my very sick Grandmother and I went alone. I had to cart my luggage etc and ended up pulling several muscles in my back. I had som trigger point injections last week and am not totally healed from that, so that may be making things a bit more complicated at the moment.

I will bust out the jogging stroller when the weather gets better. I live in Oregon and it's currently raining everyday. That humidity mixed with the cold is not good for me. But I did it last year and it was nice. My son enjoyed it. I will try to ease back into that in the Spring.

The TENS helps me mostly with my neck pain and my TMJ pain. I have not tried it on my shoulder or my back yet. Thanks for the suggestion on the massager. I will look into that!

Kat
Kat I'm sorry to hear the Yoga made you so sore.  You might just want to start every other day at first  and not push yourself to do it daily at first.  This will hopefully give your injections a chance to kick in real good and the soreness from them to subside some.  I hate to hear you missed the parade but can certainly understand why.  It is so hard to get out, and about when you hurt so much and especially when it's cold outside too.  Pain and cold weather does not mix well at all.

The massager I mentioned to you will probably make you really sore too.   If deep massage with the hands is hard for you to tolerate or makes you really sore, you'll want to use the softest massage heads on it, or get a different type all together because it is an aggressive machine. Good Luck I hope your soreness goes away soon.  God Bless Brenda
Just wanted to check in and say that I've been sticking with the Yoga and it is making me less and less sore each time. Infact, since my trip last month I've been having pain with breathing in my back and that is getting a lot better! Maybe it helped the trigger point injections work? Either way, I'm excited that I can at least do SOMETHING that is helping tone my other body muscles and perhaps helping heal the knotted ones!
Congratulations Kat I am so glad to hear that the Yoga is helping and getting easier on you.  I agree regardless of the reason just be grateful. Too often when we have pain we avoid exercising because it HURTS. By not doing, this can actually cause your muscles to tighten, your joints to become stiff, and you start getting muscle wasting-(which I personally think was where the statement "If you don't use it, you lose it certainly must have originated from) all this makes your pain worse and your choice to start exercising even more difficult.  You took that difficult first step, pressed through the pain to begin doing Yoga, didn't give up even though it hurt, and now are seeing the true benefits that exercise can have on your condition. I envy your determination, and wish you the best of luck on continuing your journey.   You Go Girl!  God Bless Brenda
spider6 commented on HOUSEHOLD TIPS/HINTS....
51 mins ago
breezytoo commented on yets
nursegirl6572 commented on nursegirl6572's status
Oct 22