278?1253665060
The Chronic Pain Couch User Group
Very low energy...?
About This Group:

This is a great site for anyone suffering from Chronic Pain or has a Family member or Friend who suffers. A place where you can tell your story, find others with similar conditions or pain, help someone in need, read up on the latest Chronic Pain treatments or simply sit for a while. Chronic Pain as we all know can be debilitating and relentless. It is not prejudice in any way, shape, or form. It can strike without warning and stay for life. The Chronic Pain Couch is a place designed for your comfort, and please note.. You don't have to suffer from chronic Pain to be a part of this community, we offer a variety of other topics as well. I truly hope that you will come and join us. And remember, there is never a need to worry whether or not your post has been read, a member or myself (Molly) are generally available to read and respond to all posts that come our way...... We are always here for you. Together We CAN Make A Difference in each others lives and how we manage day to day in coping with our relentless pain. Warmest regards, Mollyrae, founder of The Chronic Pain Couch.

Founded by Mollyrae on September 22, 2009
788 members

Very low energy...?

Could use some focus today. My energy levels are rather low it seems. I spend a lot of time sleeping. Can't seem to get enough energy to get my chores done. I had my doctor check out my labs and they are fine. Started Boniva for osteoporosis. That is the only different medication I am taking. Gabapentin makes me a bit sleepy but I am used to that medication. Only take it 2x a day. That is my medical history.
I have a lot of things to accomplish this week but can't seem to get the energy to focus on it.
Any inspiration from any members? Dalubaba, omhome, young at heart???
Could use a positive focus to get me started.
What a drag it is for me...
Just tired? Need energy...would an energy drink help????
I see that you are from Long Beach, the land of sun and sand, so I don't think that you are sun deprived...but I do wonder if you have a bit of the spring fever that we up here in the great north suffer from in April and May...and sometimes into June...

It has been proven that depression is at its highest in the spring months, if you think about all the hopes and wishes that a person dreams of  to get them through the winter and then the spring comes and we realize that today is the same as yesterday and no new season is going to change that and then the depression raises its multi faced dragonhead......

And then there is the proven link between Pain and Depression....I am pasting something I keep on my desktop as a good reminder that pain is not just a twinge in the knee for me anymore....I will " quote the pasting" and it is from the Mayo Clinic...
__ _ _ __ _ _ _ _ _

"Chronic pain is pain that lasts much longer than would be expected from the original problem or injury. When pain becomes chronic, your body may react in several ways. Chronic pain may be characterized by abnormalities in brain hormone, low energy, mood disorders, muscle pain, and impaired mental and physical performance. Chronic pain worsens as neurochemical changes in your body increase your sensitivity to pain.

Chronic pain can prevent sleep and cause you to awaken frequently at night. This lack of sleep results in daytime fatigue and low productivity. The ongoing pain will cause additional irritation and make it difficult to deal with others.  Chronic pain may make your life seem too challenging. The overwhelming feelings can lead to irritability, depression, and even suicide for those who feel no hope for relief is in sight."

_ _ _ _ _ _

I keep this on my desk top because I have to keep up with my meditation and other tools for pain and depression...Taking a break from my recovery is something I can no longer afford as the pain has carved pathways into the neurals in my brain and i can no longer say with any certainty that this is pain or this is depression....It is all one for me now MadMan...

I don't know if you are on any antidepressants or in a recovery group for any depression.  I do think that you should talk to your medical doctor and tell him how you are feeling and it could just be an adjustment in your medication that is needed....If you don't have a therapist perhaps you can be referred to someone or to some group where your peers will welcome you and you will find out that you are not alone in all of this....

Good luck to you MadMan...I always enjoy reading your posts and will pray that you find the answers that you are seeking...

M
THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR REPLY. I appreciate your response. Yes I am from LB but the weather here has been very gloomy. I am trying to get some spring cleaning done. The dust during the winter months is just horrible.
I understand what you mean about depression and chronic pain. I live with this daily but am doing so much better than months ago. I am more active (on a good day) and actually enjoy my walking when I can.
I am not on any medications for depression and feel I don't need any. (I know that is not the right answer to give but I really push myself mentally each day).
I need to push the endorphins up a notch. Relaxation techniques work for me but I use those at night and during the day, I try and find purpose to my day. It just seems that my energy levels need more exercise than I can give them put I have got to keep pushing. (Can't do any harm).
Thanks for the help and I will keep what you mentioned in mind.
Yes, maybe it is the gloomy weather that is keeping me down but I have GOT to find a ray of sunshine somewhere and you helped me look for it....thanks...
Thank you for calling me. However, i am sorry I could not attend to you when needed.It was good of M to help you out. She has wonderfully explained things related various stages of mine in different conditions.She explained comprehensively.
Thank you for your consideration in my quest. I appreciate the help although I was hoping to hear from omhome also.
M Young at heart makes some useful information that naturally I do not want to admit to. I know pain and depression go hand in hand but I try to avoid the negative in my life, such as depression although I recognize it may still be there. It takes a lot to get started in the morning for me but I push myself constantly. It helps keep out the negative points in my life.
I know the dust and cold weather around the house has been getting the best of me and spring cleaning has become a chore because dust will still pile up but this just gives me more focus to stay on top of it and make things shine for the day.
I have a lot of work ahead of me, for starters, a walk, although gloomy, I can at least get these legs going.
Each day I try and accomplish something although it may wear me out, things are looking a 'little bit better'.  If only the sun would come out to brighten up my day?
Thank you everyone for your support and M, I will give thought to what you posted. Appreciate the guidance.
Any other thoughts here that would help? Anything is better than nothing. How about a picture of a sunny day?
yog nidra is yogic method for relaxation. It is quite interesting subject. I tried to get a good article in website, I could not get one. you may google and know something about yog nidra. Its meaning is divine sleep. During yoga nidra  you caome in alpha stage whener, you can visualize your objective. Objective visualized in alpha state, is easily achievable.
CD of yog nidra may be avalable at your place. Hearing them will be very pleasant experience.
Hi Madman, I totally understand your frustration. My energy is also limited because of the chronic pain. Some days are better than others.

If I need to get a whole bunch of things accomplished I usually start off with a list. If I'm having a really bad day, and can get just one thing done on the list, I give myself a big pat on the back. And say wow, I actually got something done today "that is amazing, I am amazing" since i wouldn't expect anyone else in my situation to do these jobs. But it gives me a great feeling of accomplishment if I can feel useful :)

If I have a better pain day, I might try and do 2 or 3 things on the list. But I am very careful, to take breaks. Maybe work for 30 minutes and then rest for an hour. And so on.....

I actually had a chat with my chronic pain Dr. Last week I was complaining that my pain meds were not really helping, when I have so much to do.
He told me that if you are going to be doing more than normal, make sure to take an extra dose before you do the work. If you wait till after, the pain becomes much harder to handle, and may not help at all.

He explained it as a curve graph, attacking the pain at the bottom of the curve, and not waiting for the pain to be at the peak because it is much harder to treat. We also must be careful on our good days, because we want to get as much done as possible, and then we suffer after. This puts us in a vicious cycle of doing too much, and then spending a few days in bed.

I know I'm guilty of that for sure, and must always be more cautious of not doing to many chores on a good day.

Take care, Sue
I read today in the New York Times that there are now more older people, over the age of 55, in therapy for depression then ever before...I did not save the article to this computer but will look for it if anyone wants to read it....

From my reading it says that the older and elderly find it to be a personal weakness to admit that they might be depressed because of the stigma
of mental illness when they were younger 20 or 30 years ago.  It is like our grandparents who didn't trust banks after coming out of the Great Depression and stuffed their mattresses with the greenbacks instead of drawing any interest off the hard worked for cash....

I had a lady friend who started therapy when she was 55 and I was 30.  She was happy for a few weeks and then dropped out of therapy saying she felt that she was cured now.....For the next 10 years my friend told me every day that she wasted her best years in depression, anxiety and regret and it was too late for her now and refused to go back to any treatment...
She died last year and had became so  increasingly unhappy that people, including myself and her family , had to pull away from her to keep from being dragged down under with her....

I regret that very much.  I regret it and also understand it.  

It is just my opinion here but understanding depression and recovering from it are 2 different things.  I understand that my car needs gas to run
but when the tank is empty I don't tell myself that I will just push it a few blocks to the gas station when it is starving for fuel....I don't tell myself that I just need to push the car harder or faster or for short blocks.....When the gas is gone, the tank is empty....It is this way with depression...You can push your body all you want, the symptoms of fatigue and sadness that come through your body are the mouthpieces of your mind.  

In recovery groups I have watched many many people who would actually benefit from one on one therapy or group therapy drop out and walk away looking for a different cure than what was offered them...It is painful to talk and deal with the past, it is painful to cry, it is painful to admit that you don't like the cards dealt to you, it is painful that your body does not do what it did at one time, it is painful that this is the life you have been given and don't have a clear clue as to what to do next.....

But once that pain is shared with a therapist, a friend, a group, a family, then it becomes easier and easier to stand with both feet on the solid ground of the present moment...The past is a muddy murky place with
footholds that will try to drag you down everyday....Anxiety is a rocky earthquake zone that is constantly shifting and tilting.....When you are not recovering from depression/anxiety, you have one foot in the past and one foot in the future and there is no foot or handhold in the present....And Today is where we want to live....Today is All Possibilities.  

Love To You All

M

The greatest obstacle we feel when depressed person feel that he is okay and does not require any treatment. My eldest son was psychiatrist. He was serving in a govt mental hospital. He had actively participated in treating and rehabilitation alcoholics and also treated suicidal patient. He himself became alcoholic. we tried our best to get him some treatment in a college from where he has done psychiatric study.However he always said that he will control himself and never took any treatment. He died in the accident in the bathroom. We knew we were losing him.His wife was psychologist.She also could not help. He died at the age of 43.He was a well read person and very intelligent. They come to such a denial stage, that they do not take any treatment and do not listen to the advice of his peers or elders. A brilliant career ended prematurely.
I am so sorry to read of your sons alcoholism and passing...I think as a parent also that this is a very sad and painful incident...

M
Yes, his addiction and his death were greatest calamity of my life.He had cured many alcoholics and establish a help line for people suffering from suicidal tenancy.
His wife with her two daughters are in Canada.They have permanently settled there.Thanks for your kind words.
I am so sorry to hear about your son too.  But thank you for sharing the story.
Yes Depression, alcoholism, abuse, and as we all know chronic pain can effect people no matter how rich or poor, or how educated they become.

When I went to see my sister last November, I helped her to leave her abusive husband. She has her Masters in Social Work! She has also counselled many people about abuse and depression and suicide.
It is very hard to understand when she has the knowledge, but can fall
like anyone else, because she is human.

Unfortunately she is now suffering from depression. She has 4 kids, lives far away from family, and can't get out of bed to go to work. I'm really worried about her.  She has told me she doesn't want any help from family, she won't return my parents phone calls, and is angry at all of us.

I've told her about the great support on medhelp.  And she knows that I have overcome depression, but it is very hard for her to concentrate, since she is truly depressed. Luckily she is going to her Dr. and Pastor for help.

It is very sad when you can't help your loved ones.
Sue
Sorry to learn about your sister's depression and her denial to take any help from your family members. This denial is a greatest obstacle. When my son came to our house at 5 P.M before going to his clinic, I asked him ' Have you started drinking even in the early evening?" He replied that he has not taken the drink, the smell is because of intersection of some chemical reaction" He gives me a totally stupid and false reply.Though very intelligent, he become erratic in his behavior.we knew he his going downhill. In spite of all resources we could not help him.When a good potential becomes a liability,we are completely helpless. we have a genetic problem from the family of my mother. My elder brother , my uncle's son and many other members have mental disorders.Some are severe and some are mild. I did talk to doctors for preventive treatment right from childhood for my children. That time psychiatric treatment was not advanced. Only shock treatment and few drugs were available. and I understand there is no preventive therapy unless you change your life style.
Denial is a coping mechanism to keep the self from feeling pain.  Either pain mentally or physically....We all have denial to a certain degree usually caused by fear.  For instance if a person is having chest and arm pains they are in denial that it might just be a heart attack because they are afraid to think of themselves dying....So it is never easy to say, " Oh, they are in denial" without truly understanding the person .....

My father tried to get my mother mental health for nearly 60 years...In the late 60's there was not much to do for depression that had totally crippled a person except for a mental hospital where shock treatment was administered...Father was required to get 2 more adults to sign the paperwork for her admittance, and at the last moment, my aunt said she could not do it, could not see her sister in a mental ward and her brain fried and the matter was dropped....This was on the heels of the news that one of the famous Kennedy children was administered to in a mental hospital and the frontal labotomy that was performed was a dismal failure....

Father tried like both of you have, to no avail because Mother was so afraid that the thoughts she kept secret which she thought were so powerful  would be revealed and she would become less.....Less powerful, less stong, less a good person....Just totally Less then she and other people thought of her as...

She died nearly a year ago now, I miss her terribly, I miss her laughter, her intelligence, her care about me, her generosity, her strength, her compassion, her faith, and her love for the family who continiously tried to push her into treatment and therapy.  Her illness was secondary for me.  

I think so many people can relate to what we are talking about, and I am very grateful for you dalubaba and you sueduva for sharing your lives here with me and with the MEDHELP community....

M
specialmom Wishing someone would come... Comment
barryp1 commented on Why You Might Have A ...
specialmom commented on skepticalpeach's status