278?1253665060
The Chronic Pain Couch User Group
sharing techniques and tools that help?
About This Group:

This is a great site for anyone suffering from Chronic Pain or has a Family member or Friend who suffers. A place where you can read up on the latest information on chronic pain, tell your story, post any information you'd like to relay, or just come to simply sit for a while. Chronic Pain as we all know can be debilitating and relentless. It is not prejudice in any way, shape, or form. It can strike without warning and stay for life. The Chronic Pain Couch is a place designed for your comfort, and please note.. You don't have to suffer from chronic Pain to be a part of this community, we offer a variety of other topics as well. I truly hope that you will come and join us. And remember, there is never a need to worry whether or not your post is heard, we always hear and respond...... We are always here for you. Together We CAN Make A Difference in each others lives and how we manage to cope with our pain from day to day! Warmest regards, Mollyrae, founder of The Chronic Pain Couch.

Founded by Mollyrae on September 22, 2009
747 members

sharing techniques and tools that help?

Start a group to share what we do that helps us with the pain?
Tags: useful tools
so let's share with each other those things we do (perhaps creative off-the-wall or alternative tools) that help us with our day. Maybe things to share with our kids---they see us struggle. I have appts today but will start later with some things i do in my yoga classes that people have said really work for them.. Practical stuff. It is called   mugabaji  slomanije!! Memorize that!  just
kidding.  Inhale and refresh---exhale and relax. That's it. However of course there is a lot more to it as you practice and can become very powerful . More about that and more later.  But don't wait for me. somebody  SOME BODY just go ahead and jump in. we can all benefit when we share.  later   om    yogadon
ok   so inhale-refresh. Any position(back straight) is fine just do it when you remember but every morning for sure. The feeling-state or your mental state (i call it inner weather) during refresh is like this===when we said the word "beach" to our lab there was instant JOY---tail going whole body excited happy happy dog---or the feeling of a child night before or morning of christmas---or you before the trip to bora bora!!That feeling! Imagine it! Really. imagination is powerful. The mind can believe it. Like placebo effect.  Or conditioning.  If you like add a word or image (or both) to help. So maybe say the word refresh (or beach) as you inhale and feel sunshiney. The more you practice this (tailor it to you) the more effective and reliable it becomes. At first just pretend you feel the refreshment. What can you lose.  
      Now don't hold or force your breath---just relaxed but full inhale---primary nutrient!! Elixir.  I know it sounds weird or hokey or?  but is bases on scientific principles.    Give it a try and see.   There is yet more to it than that but first  just this step..  
      Next time the exhale-relax practice. I bet many of you have done the exhale with relaxation and ahhhh  etc before.   Anyway make it a good day in spite of the challenges.    Sometimes it is a choice.   sometimes not.   om    yogadon
OK  so what does this have to do with pain? One of my good friends is a doula and she says that the women who use the breathing techniques that are core to the program swear by them. (not the swearing during labor!HA!). The more that they had practiced (often with the husbands) the more effective was the pain relief and the relaxation of the muscular tension!! Many of them continue the breathing exercise---along with some husbands (i see so few men in my classes) and teach it to their children (can be a "miracle" for some) It works for pain and the key is practice practice practice.  More about the inspiration (the inhale) next time.  om    don
if anyone is interested i will continue with different techniques and tools and comforts for pain. If not let me know and i will stop posting and wasting time and space.
Tried posting the other day and couldn't. Hope there is not a problem with this site.

let's straighten this out somehow because there is much confusion and there is difficulty in posting for some reason. Can we grow our group is the question
and then we can get on with the Tools we can use to improve our daily qualityy of life.  I like what you are posting dalubaba--keep it up---all of us here is a chance encounter in a world called med-help and for whatever reason here we all are. Let's not miss this opportunity! We can make it how we want.,. OK?  More people climb on board---we'll use both or more sites and new sites about particular "tools"  etc. ooops   gotta go   yes  yes   yes   more later (on the breathwork etc.)    om    yogadon
perhaps we could use this spot to discuss hobbies or pastimes we use that absorb us enough that they can distract us from our pain. Something other than drugs---venting----doing the therapies etc. I get tired of all that focus on the pain thing and really find it helpful to just forget about it for a while.  What do you guys use as your little "escapes".  We have been discussing this at PM site but it fits with chronic part of the pain perfectly.  Anybody?? om  don
It may only be a handful of us but I know I watch the board to LEARN anything new. I think education about how pain is created would help people understand this annoying cycle. The mind perceives pain in different ways. The body interprets pain as the mind directs it. Drugs only try and block the pain signal. Distracting the pain cycle in the brain helps with pain relief. Education about how the brain relates to pain is something that I think needs more attention here. Many people think (or take the doctors word for it) that the drugs will do something. Not always the case.
The acupuncture I am taking helps for a temporary moment along with the massage but returns depending on what I do with my back. (sitting is the worse) Muscle relaxers help me although they put me to sleep for a short while but this also relaxes the muscle and pain cycle. When I wake up the pain is mostly gone and I can get through a few more hours pain free, but breaking this pain cycle is the key. The mind is stronger than the drugs and any distraction methods will help the brain re-focus but it takes a lot of 'brain power' to do this. I KNOW my favorite music and rides along the beach (visual distraction) help the brain re-focus and I have been using this method for years. Gets old sometimes but better than the drugs.
Remember, the mind is a terrible thing to waste especially when it comes to pain.
I am on the fifth day withdrawing from tramadol. I am determined to find ways to relieve my neck and back pain without any more addictive drugs. Hard! I can't do traditional yoga due to herrington rods from thoracic area down, but I can try deep breathing definitely. Also more low-impact exercise. Aerobics are hard, but I can walk. My head still isn't clear from the tramadol but otherwised I don't feel too bad this morning. Going walking with a friend later.
good god new friend what an inspiration for us all. We who know from experience what an incredibly hard challenge you are meeting. My problem is similar but my pain is so severe --well. Let's keep the focus on your question.
   For me and those who are really yogis the breathing and the meditation is what yoga is about----the asanas---the postures---help prepare for that focus but are not necessary.  So keep that up--it is the right path to reduce your pain. You might contact madman as he too is very strong in avoiding the opiates (if i am not mistaken?). You are both people i would like to hear more from as it helps us all. Anybody else have that experience?   Om  don
Congratulations, stick with it. Determination will get you there. As I mentioned in my post, most opioid's work on the brains perception of pain.I was on Tramidol also along with Morphine, fentanyl patch and Norco's. What ever my primary care doctor could do to relieve my pain since he understood what I was going through. All the pain meds did was cloud my judgment and ruined my state of mind. I still had the pain but my minds perception was too doped up to know the difference. I got off all the drugs except the Norco's and only take them once a day. I have DJD/DD for years and have had to live with various pain levels. I am going for a nerve block on my hip area because that pain is the most severe and this has worked in the past. The other back pain, acupuncture has helped although I continue treatments. Anytime I went for physical therapy (12 times already), they keep prodding and poking around and wake up the pain and they put a hot compress on it which only acts up later on at night. At one time, Pilates helped and I am hoping to go back to that. Pilates is a light stretch exercise but I stayed at the beginners level for months. Tried yoga but cannot get the balance just yet but would like to try again when I am stronger. I used to be a dancer in my youth and did a lot of yoga to stay in shape. Now a days I have to settle for walking exercises when I can. Light stretching exercises are great for the focus of the mind and endorphin's are released to help the mind focus.
Stay determined. Remember the drugs only cloud your minds eye but the endorphin's along with other elements help the mind focus and this help concentrate on the pain levels. I am so jealous of you doing yoga. I hope one day to get back to yoga but will settle for Pilates at present when I can do it one day. My next post will be about the name of the Pilates program that I use. It is by a woman but I have tried many Pilates programs for men and they think we are just so macho to bend and shape our bodies like we have been doing this for years. This program I recommend is for beginners and has a back program which I religiously believe in. Will start this program once I get my nerve block. I should be able to do some walking again once I get this pain relief so all this is part of the healthy program to keep the mind busy and focused which I complement you on for your efforts. Keep up the good focus as you seen your thinking become clearer and you can applaud yourself for your efforts as I applaud you. WELL DONE!!!!
Every one experiences pain in one's life and everyone has his own way to tolerate the pain. Breathing (pranayam in yoga) is one way to bypass pain. In general breathing should be abdominal (diaphragmatic) not through chest. When we breath in(inhale) abdomen swells and when we breath out abdomen dips in. Chest has just slight movement. This is efficient breathing. Pillates mention that, first you breath out, dipping your abdomen, making the shape of abdomen as C curve and continue inhaling.For details google Pillate breathing. We can discuss different types of breathing to suit different persons for specific issues. I am sure many members would like to share their experiences to handle pain.
thanks dalubaba---most do not realize the power of different breathing techniques for relief of pain and anxieties. It just seems  too easy---it is so fundamental and we are always doing it!!  What you say is in total agreement with my practice----most yogis practice---make purrfect---the breath. I give a short example in earlier post. I am sure dalubaba and others will respond if asked for more about pain-relief using breath (prana!). Primary nutrient!!  ) Our constant companion thru life.   Give it a try---benefits follow immediately. Post youre questions.   Om   yogadon
Just do day, I came ac cross a news item which emphasizes that music also plays a big part in reducing pain, relaxing muscle,reducing anxiety, and balancing negative and positive energies.White music-natural sound of river flowing, Sound of falling rain, sound of revolving fan, sound of air conditioner etc can produce the calming effect. painful situation can be bypassed by meditation on such objects.Sound of heart beat can have a soothing effect.The child kept near the breast of a woman calms down because o hearing the sound of heart beats. One can keep fingers on wrist point where heart beats are felt.Feeling this heart bears will relaxes us.
I think as a group, if we collect different methods we are using to handle pain, can be a treasure of anti -pain- nuggets for members of not only our group but also for all members of MH, inducing moderators.  Your feed back will encourabe me to continue sharing my experience and observations. Hoping serenity prevails among all living beings. Dalubaba.
Sorry for typos.
I did not finish the News Story. International cricket tournament is being played. One cricket bowler Mr. Harbhahan Sing did extaordinary bowling taking 4 wickets. He was asked by media people, from where he draws energy? He said I draw energy form music.When I am bowling, I maurmur a poopurlar song . Its meaning is 'Let us win, friends' He India's top bowler.The match was played day before yesterday. And to-day it was in the News.
Sorry again I appear to comment;In fact there were two News items. One was on a player(bowler) and other was on music-meditation. ( This is a reguar feature of the local News paper. Here is the exact translation;Music is one of the method of meditation.Stressed muscles gets rest with music.Any type of swelling can be reduced with music.Athletic performance can be enhanced with mediation Relief from the diseases connected with heart can be achieved with music meditation.In music mediation, we flow with music, not concentrating on words and meaning. we let the music flow through the body. I thank OMHOME for encouraging me to write a long, long boring messages. If you want to blame anybody, blame OMHOME for this messages.
dalubaba i will gladly take the blame if you will keep sharing with us. And don't worry about6 typos. Correcting them just slows down the "thought to paper" process . Music is a wonderful addition to our tool kit! I say our because it does look like we are compiling a lot of things that can work. I can see a short book of these "tricks" in the future----any editors or compilers out there? Or a fictional pain warrior (i like that ) as they go thru their day using the tools from the relief kit. It would be good to know how many of you "warriors" are out there even those just reading theposts---just a short post to say you are there!!Please--let's encourage dalubaba to continue. OK?   om   yogadon
Madman, your message is full of wisdom. Yes music can relax the muscle. It can enhance the athletic power, it can soothe your mind. In olden days, warriors were enthused with music. Yes it breads the vicious cycle of pain.With music one can clap in its rhythm.  Clapping itself is one of the healing method. One prescription always comes to my mind is clap 300 times thrice a day. I found a video on clapping as healing method. I hear clapping in the morning, coming from the garden opposite my house.The group  doing clapping is a laughter cub.Laughter's clubs are popular in India.
Somebody said i was not being patient with people joining in----look at the date of this post   it has been months!!!!!!!!     ?????????    i have tried everything including saying i was leaving....so what!!!!!!!!????????????
     about done for real folks            
here are some of the breathing and focus practices to do every day.
  hey i can use some feedback and help here i want to break us all out of the pattern i see when i read old posts from like two years ago or sol.   Everybody seems Stuck. Stuck!
   Let's all get going with this practice----so we can advance and deepen our focus. And Break out of this RUT!! COME ON everybody together is how it can work and yes i am getting impatient when i see how long this has been going on----check for yourself and see.
   Is anybody gonna actually do this stuff---or just read it and go "oh wow that's cool gee---"  and back to the same old familiar "posting fix" ??  Omhome
there are more practices in other posts so look all around---fun reading anyway.
ahahah  tis I ...I made it in to join you all, hi Dalubaba and Madman  good to see you, now lets see what pain have I got today ...
I must admit I use advil but then I dont get a lot of severe pain, I do have some acid reflux if any one has an idea about that
When I get really Frustrated with pain issues I beep....

When things hurt really bad, and what ever you are using to help you deal with pain is not working try saying BEEP really loud, if nothing else it will make you laugh, or the peolple around you laugh.

I read this in a book some where and it works for me when nothing else seems too.
As the old saying goes, "laughter is the best medicine"....

Hope this helps!

Hakensak
i bet some of us can remember the road- runner cartoons with that wonderful beep beep       beep beep         beep beep    great fun to root for the coyote    love lovre love those old cartoons   beep beep beep  and a meep meep-----omhome
And heckensasac(sp?) let me add something. if you are alone in the house, call your name loudly as if somebody is calling you.Thia type of calling we have never done. If call like this for some time, you are likely to Hera many different type of calls within you.I have tried once and i will try again as i am alone at home for a quite a long time allowing me to do all types of tactics.
I am suffering from sever cold. with the stuffy nose canto do breating exercise or meditation.So revised many other types. Talk to the wall.Sit facing a wall and start talking. Talk as much as your want. If you get some answer hear the answers.
Going to try that Dalubaba ...my flu has all but gone ..that coughing was bad .
well guys think of this for fun!!
pretend you are new and just saw this thread and read it.  
let's see i am told it is good to clap and beep---and yell your name or say beach beach over and over  
stare at a wall and talk to it and listen for it to answer!!
and then i get the message!  The pain makes them insane  yeas the pain= insane--must be it huh?
Probably why so few of us here---we scare everybody else away!!!  HA!
Doncha luv it?
i do---you too.     omhome
a lot of good info in this from page Three!! It might be useful to revive some of these jewels from the back pages! whaddaya think?
Hi..could not make it to painmed dr as I had a bad reaction to dextromethorphan caps the pharmacy made..that was last sat and i called nurse ....she said on mon they might work me in at 10am but At 6am
I was sweating so bad and shivering and-abdomen felt so inflammed that I could not get to bathroom let alone dr. Office 1hr away..
I am retired pharm and i think I am really having bad reaction to the opiates as nerve pain not so localized ..I am just in all out war!  there is a syndrome ..opiate induced hyperalgesia...named for this and they do not know why it happens..
My body is out of control..
We all have got to pull together and keep minds and help yes..I have read about your yoga..
Thank you all..
I am trying to send you all such peaceful thoughts right now because I do not want to focus on me..
You all...to quote you all..have such great suggestions and wisdom!
I am blessed to have found you all..
Blessings
Sorry you all..I should have not deviated away from techniques. Post!
.will not try to do it again..
Venting is a technique...ha...lol
Blessings...and I pray myself and we all...can
Hand postures, Mudras, finger postures are the words which will lead you to website on Hand postures. There are 55 mudras(postures). You may pick up which are applicable to you.Most of them are therapeutic.Sky is the limit for this therapy.
so many cool techniques shared--  one i like was to just say "beep" out loud like a mantra---i tried it and felt like the roadrunner beep beep beeping away the pain---i ended in laughter--Thank you Hakensak for that one!  Check 'em all out folks---add more!  as we "pool" our experiences-(dalubaba)... omhome
i get a chuckle every time-----beep therapy!  Cult of The Beepers!   om
you gotta refresh your memories of these awesome posts you guys----and a time when i had one of my "i am going away bye bye hissy fits" to inspire some action! Well worth a read and a laugh.  
      Worth our attention though are the techniques offered.    as you seer my favorite is to go around like the road-runner (cartoon fame) and go "Beep Beep Beep" out loud for a while. Fun Fun Fun.    Beep mantra!!!  om om om
Wow!  Remember this thread you guys? And can ya believe it has been more than 6 months that some of us have been consistently together. I remember when dalubaba and madman both told me to be patient and that the group would Slowly grow---slowly the operative word!!   But here we are . Growing----i hope a little faster the next six months...   thank you all for being here.   omhome
Started my morning meditation with a few videos from Ram Dass, something new for me, of course have heard of him, but don't recall ever  listening to a video, I must have read his book in the 70's, but do not recall it.

Last week I posted to Dalubaba that I spent the afternoon with a friend who was in a lot of pain, emotionally and physically and how I mostly just listened to him and when I did answer him it was to tell him a little about our group and what journeys we are now on.  The longer my friend talked, the deeper part of his pain started coming out, fears, hopes, dreams, fear, and more fears.  I wished I could have done more but I left him feeling I had done the best I could with the maps I have.

This mornings meditation from Ram Dass was exactly on the same topic.
I was almost without thought listening to him as he described the suffering patient and the visitor ...He says it isn't what you say but how you hear that determines how the conversation goes.  He points out that most suffering people do not even hear us, but can feel the care and love and peace that comes through to them with our practice.

It has been a wonderful morning and what is really great about it is the fact that I might forget all the words this morning, but will perhaps not forget the message....

M
here is a revival of the famous "beach" meditation trick--technique for all to peruse and Use!,,,  "Use"  being the operative word here.     om
specialmom forgot about baseball laun... Comment
33 mins ago
breezytoo Always in pain! Comment
nursegirl6572 commented on specialmom's status