278?1253665060
The Chronic Pain Couch User Group
staying positive REALLY does help
About This Group:

This is a great site for anyone suffering from Chronic Pain or has a Family member or Friend who suffers. A place where you can tell your story, find others with similar conditions or pain, help someone in need, read up on the latest Chronic Pain treatments or simply sit for a while. Chronic Pain as we all know can be debilitating and relentless. It is not prejudice in any way, shape, or form. It can strike without warning and stay for life. The Chronic Pain Couch is a place designed for your comfort, and please note.. You don't have to suffer from chronic Pain to be a part of this community, we offer a variety of other topics as well. I truly hope that you will come and join us. And remember, there is never a need to worry whether or not your post has been read, a member or myself (Molly) are generally available to read and respond to all posts that come our way...... We are always here for you. Together We CAN Make A Difference in each others lives and how we manage day to day in coping with our relentless pain. Warmest regards, Mollyrae, founder of The Chronic Pain Couch.

Founded by Mollyrae on September 22, 2009
764 members

staying positive REALLY does help

It's almost a cliché to say "think positive" but it has been shown that doing just that improves our circumstances and even our health.  Here is some information from a web site that I like about how to stay positive.

Ways to Stay Positive

Foster Optimism

Trying to be optimistic doesn't mean ignoring the uglier sides of life. It just means focusing on the positive as much as possible-and it gets easier with practice.

If you want to pump up your optimism, you might:
•Write about a positive future. The idea is to envision your goals and dreams come true. Tips include: ◦Write about your great future life. Writing helps you absorb ideas better than just thinking.
◦Set aside time so you can go into detail. Researcher Laura King, PhD, who proved this exercise a great mood booster, assigned 20 minutes on four consecutive days.
◦A variation on this exercise is to imagine positive outcomes in a particularly challenging situation.

•Search for the silver lining. Looking for the positive in a negative situation may sound sappy, but it can actually show great strength. To find your silver lining, ask yourself:  ◦How have I grown from this situation?
◦Are my relationships stronger now?
◦Have I developed new skills?
◦What am I proud of about the way I handled this situation?

Practice Gratitude

Noticing and appreciating the positives in our lives offers a great mood boost.

To increase your gratefulness, you can:
•Write a gratitude letter. Researcher Martin Seligman, PhD, asked subjects to write a letter thanking someone who had been particularly kind to them and then deliver it in person. The letter-writers enjoyed impressive positive effects even a month later.  
•Keep a gratitude journal. Write down anything large or small that makes you smile, including terrific achievements, touching moments and great relationships.
•Remind yourself to savor. Yes, stop and smell the roses-and look at them and touch them. Do whatever you can to really soak in the lovelier aspects of your life.
•Share your good news. Studies of people's reactions to positive developments suggest that those who tell a friend about a happy event enjoy it even more.

Avoid Negative Thinking

If you want to feel positive, it pays to decrease the downers in your life. With practice, you can resist worrisome thoughts and perhaps even transform your internal critic into more of a cheering squad.
•Avoid dwelling on downers. Focusing on negatives isn't just unpleasant, it also can make you less effective in tackling tasks you face. In a study of test-takers, those who fixated on worrisome thoughts performed worse than those who were distracted from their worries. To stifle your obsessing:

◦Ask yourself if the issue is really worth your energy. Will this issue matter in a year, for example?
◦Tell yourself you'll worry about it at a specific time later. Chances are you'll feel better by the appointed time.
◦Instead of just spinning your worry wheels, try a concrete problem-solving exercise.
◦Distract yourself: Go to a movie, pump up some music, find something fun to do.

•Change unhealthy self-talk. You may have been running negative messages in your head for a long time. But research shows that you can learn to shift your thoughts and that, over time, you can literally change your brain. Consider trying some techniques from cognitive-behavioral therapy, which works in part by looking at how changing your thoughts can change your life. Some tips include:
◦Ask yourself if your negative thought is really true. Are you really a terrible mother if you didn't make it to the class play? You're probably involved in innumerable other ways.  
◦Remember any achievements that disprove your insecurity. If you think you'll flop at the office party, remember other social occasions when you were outgoing and confident.
◦Imagine what you'd tell a friend if he was worrying in ways that you are. You'd likely convince him to wait a bit before assuming the worst.
◦Beware of all-or-nothing thinking. Disappointing your girlfriend once doesn't mean you're doomed to disappoint her all the time.  
◦Consider alternative explanations. If your boss hasn't responded to your proposal it could be because he's busy and not because he doesn't like it.

Reviewed by Sonja Lyubomirsky, PhD, a University of California, Riverside professor and author of The How of Happiness: A New Approach to Getting the Life You Want (Penguin Press).

http://liveyourlifewell.org/go/live-your-life-well/positive
Thanks to specialmom for sharing this wonderful write-up on positive thinking. It is worth book-marked and read periodically so that we can remind ourselves to try the  techniques in appropriate situations.

This is a real short cut to overcome worries.
During surfing internet,I find a peculiar suggestion. If one cannot visualize positive scenario, he should ask a question.In case he wants a good health, He may ask a question to himself, why I am getting healthier? When one repeats this question, the subconscious mind interprets that he has already received his goal of good health , hence the subconscious mind accepts this as done and prepares the plan to get him healthy.The author says the right question has terrific power to get expected result.  The author has called this as positive afformation instead of affirmation to distinguish between the two.
i am especially interested Dalubaba in Afformations and after reading your post, i went to google and found much info at a psychic web site.  

Not much info has been written about Afformations, but am looking deeper at the subject...

Thank you

M
Have you ever noticed that those who think positive usually win the lottery?

Just saying. :)

Nice article SM.
againnot commented on untoward
drifter0213 commented on my love
philnoir surviving a difficult time Comment