Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
follicular adenoma, carcinoma and variant of papillary carcinoma

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

I'm scheduled to have a my whole thyroid removed. What exactly does this say below? What are the percentages that this is Cancer?
Thanks so much.

***This is the Biopsy result***

****The differential diagnosis for the right lobe lesion includes cellular adenomatoid nodule, follicular adenoma, follicular carcinoma and follicular variant of papillary carcinoma. A neoplasm is favored on cytologic grounds, and excision is recommended regardless of the outcome of the Afirma assay.****

Looking for answers for the above test results.
Not the one below. I just added it, for additional information.
Thank you

((From previous post...    sono results that were replied to already....
.  The Gland is mildly enlarged. The right lobe measures 5.2 x 1.6 x 1.9 cm. The left lobe measures 5.2 x 1.7 x 2 cm. The isthmus measures 3 mm. There are several Thyroid nodules. The nodule in the right inferior lobe measures 0.9 x 0.6 x 0.7 cm. There's also a solid nodule measuring 0.5 x 0.4 x 0.4 cm. In the left lower pole there is a hypoechoic circumscribed nodule measuring 1.5 x 1.1 x 1.3 cm. There is a complex cyst in the lower pole measuring 0.6 x 0.8 x0.8 cm.
Color doppler evaluation demonstrates no internal vascularity to the left lesion. The right inferior pole solid lesion measuring 0.9 cm has internal vascularity and FNA is recommended.
Impression: Multinodular goiter. There is a hypervascular nodule in the lower pole on the right lobe measuring 0.7 x 0.9 x 0.6 cm. FNA of this lesion is suggested. ))
That's a wide range for "differential diagnosis' but the pathologist's conclusion reflects his/her concern for the cytologic appearance.  Was the Afirma test performed?  Would review all that with your endocrinologist to help understand the risk of cancer as I cannot give a % w/o more detailed info.  The nodules overall are relatively small.  More definitive information on the FNA cytology and/or Afirma may be helpful prior to committing to surgery.