Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
10.4 H calcium

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

10.4 H calcium
My 20 yr old son's calcium level is 10.4 (normal should be: 8.6 - 10.2) and PTH is 6 L (normal should be 10 - 65).  He also is 21 L for vitamin D (normal should be 30 - 100).  The endocrinologist said for him to take vitamin D3 1000IU's per day.  The endocrinologist said that parathyroidism was ruled out because my son's PTH was very low at 6 L.  Wouldn't taking vitamin D3 elevate his calcium (hypercalcemia) instead of lower it? For the past 6 months, my son has had symmetrical pain in his wrists, ankles, numbness/tingling in hands/feet, extreme fatigue and his leg bones hurt to the point of not being able to walk more than 10 minutes.  We've been to 8 specialists, my son has had every diagnostic test imaginable and no Dr. can diagnose him!  It's been so frustrating.  Also, his B6 levels are 31 H when normal range should be 2.1 - 21.7.  What is the cause of elevated B6 and elevated calcium and how do we lower it?  How do we get these blood numbers back to normal?  Also, his Albumin/Globulin Ratio is 2.4 H when normal range should be 1.0 - 2.1.  Thank you
This calcium level is likely normal for a young adult (20's).
The vitamin D should be treated to normalize.
Not sure why the PTH is low - would consider retesting to exclude specimen handling problem.
Also not sure why B6 would be high - this is not related to thryoid/parathyroid typically.

If symptoms persist, would start with internal medicine consultation and go from there.
Thank you for your reply.  It's very appreciated.  Will you please explain why 10.4 H is normal if reference range says 8.6 - 10.2?  Why is it normal for a 20 year old?  Thank you for explaining.  

We are hoping vitamin D3 will correct his deficiency.  Does this take 2 - 3 months?  PTH will be retested hopefully soon.  We don't know why his B6's are high either.  We've seen our PCP who referred us to a 3 rheums, endocrin, 2 neuros, ENT, uro, nutritionist, GI & nephro Dr.'s.  Everything except the blood test results mentioned here have checked out or ruled out autoimmune disorders, etc.  
A related discussion, calcium and vitamin dlevels was started.